1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is wholemeal bread healthy

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by vanitha_me, Dec 18, 2009.

1. vanitha_me

vanitha_me New IL'ite

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Sure no doubt..the best breakfast menu..as our friend said ideal with egg/milk/

Try to have variations out of it...such as sandwich, french toast, upma etc :cheers

3. LemonLime

LemonLime Senior IL'ite

Hi there,

Wholemeal bread is indeed healthy because it is made from unbleached flour and has a high fibre content with the mixture of seeds in it (depending on the brand you buy.).

Compared to white bread (pure, empty carbs, no nutritional value) it is a great way to increase your fibre content and has high GI which means that you feel full for long as it is bulkier.

Having it with eggs and milk is fine but please be aware that if you have high cholesterol or have cholesterol problems you should limit your egg intake to no more than 3 - 5 eggs a week.
    As for milk try not to drink too much milk as drinking excess milk can actually leech calcium from your bones and reduce bone mass!

Hope this helped.

4. LemonLime

LemonLime Senior IL'ite

Hi there,

Wholemeal bread is indeed healthy because it is made from unbleached flour and has a high fibre content with the mixture of seeds in it (depending on the brand you buy.).

Compared to white bread (pure, empty carbs, no nutritional value) it is a great way to increase your fibre content and has high GI which means that you feel full for long as it is bulkier.

Having it with eggs and milk is fine but please be aware that if you have high cholesterol or have cholesterol problems you should limit your egg intake to no more than 3 - 5 eggs a week.
    As for milk try not to drink too much milk as drinking excess milk can actually leech calcium from your bones and reduce bone mass!

Hope this helped.

5. mau24

mau24 Senior IL'ite

Ya definetly whole meal is good...I also take whole meal bread

6. SR09

SR09 Bronze IL'ite

Every time I try to switch from white bread to whole meal bread, within 3 days I start to suffer from constipation.(All my other diet remain constant)
    Anyone can suggest a solution? This happens only when there is a change to wholemeal bread, therefore I have to come back to my white bread!

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi SR09,

Same thing happens to me..check this link for reply from a diet expert..

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/k...utrition-expert-answers-get-2.html#post988812

Now slowly i am recovering from that problem naturally...I intake bananas and raisins when i whole wheat bread...also i drink plenty of water..

Might be the roughness in the bread could have caused this..

Whatever be the ingredient never overeat breads and rolls nor have it as a routine menu..have it in alternative days..

8. SR09

SR09 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much Cindhuja, ok will check out the link.

9. laddubannu

laddubannu New IL'ite

Hey there,

I recently started to follow Apt Diet .

I felt the whole meal bread is real good. Ingredients like Maize, Wheatflour, Fibre.. are of great help to the body.

10. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

All breads when taken everyday are harmful!!!!!
    Its just that a whole meal bread is better than the white bread!

Bread has leavening agents and preservatives in them - so tsktsk do not take it everyday - that too many of bad ingrediants inside your body! Taking it once a while is ok really, but please do not do that everyday (and that too 4-6). And jst to another point - our family doctor did mention it to me that if at all I eat bread - i should toast/heat it and eat it and not to eat it out from the pack

And as some discussion abt constipation has already been made, yes breads do have a tendency to cause this (thought never heard of that happening only when u switch the types) thus huge amounts of water consuption is must when u eat breads.. Did u know that eating bread makes a person feel thirsty?

Anyways, according to me - please avoid eating it everyday - expecially we Indian women have so much of healthier options to replace bread - rotis, chapatis ...