Is Ultrasound unsafe for the baby?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by plzhelp, Oct 9, 2010.

1. plzhelp

plzhelp New IL'ite

Hi,

Im about 5 weeks pregnant and I happened to visit my doctor last tuesday(4W 2D) when she did an abdominal ultrasound n could find a gestational sac. She asked us to come after 2 weeks to find the heartbeat. I hear from my people saying so many ultrasounds might not be good for the baby but my doctor asks for 1/month. How many ultrasounds do they normally do here in the US? Does normal insurance bill u more if u have ultrasounds every month? My SIL says she had juz 2 of them -1 in 8th week n the other in 20th week(this was 6 yrs back). She says everything else, u might need to pay out of ur pocket. Is it true? There r a few doctors around who call u for ur 1st ultrasound only when u r 8-12 weeks around but my doctor asked us to come in immediately. Plz advice as Im confused on whom to listen to.

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

Congratulations on your pregnancy. HH9M!

On a financial note, yes, unless there is a reason to have so many ultrasounds as for a high risk pregnancy, or change in baby movements past a certain number of weeks, your insurance may not pay for more than 2 ultrasounds. One around 12 weeks, and one around 20 weeks, or the BIG ultrasound. They may not even pay for the 12 week one now perhaps the triple marker test. You should call the customer service number on your insurance card and find out.