1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Self Respect Or Am I Thinking Much?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by AmayaGirl, May 31, 2017.

1. AmayaGirl

AmayaGirl New IL'ite

Hi,

I have been married to love of my life for past 5 years. We used to be best friends but situation changed post marriage. My MIL and I do not share a comfortable relationship. She keeps on throwing her tantrums and I am not good at handling them.

What I am feeling uncomfortable about is :

Recently DH got a chance to go to onsite for 6 months.I am a "Stay at home working mother". DH is not letting me clearly what is plans are?
    Will he be taking us along? On asking firmly he said if he took us along then there will hardly be any savings. I further asked him firmly whether he will take us along or savings is what he is more concerned of?

He replied that he will love to take us along but saving is our responsibility for the future of our kids.

I understand his this stand too..

Meanwhile, MIL(who lives with us) asked about our plan, DH was not very clear. She said that "Better take her along or we will not keep her here".

The above statement hurt me a lot.

Upon asking DH what will I do he said that you will stay more with your parents rather than here.

What my stand is : If DH does not take us along I do not even want to stay at ILs place even for a day.

Am I thinking wrong? Isn't this about my self respect?

Pls Guide.

2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Move in with your parents.

3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Your MIL doesn't seem very interested in you staying either, so I think that you need to discuss with your husband, and make it clear that you are either going with him, or you will be moving in with your parents (of course, not in the negative standpoint, but so you won't be living with just your MIL). I'm sure he's also conflicted about the situation, but since he seems to be unable to make the choice, you need to push to make it.

While savings is quite important and 6 months is not a long time, if you don't have your parents to lean back on, it is best for you to go with your husband.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

I think you should rejoice that your MIL does not want to stay with you for 6 months , I am sure you do not want to either . Stay at your parents place happily , since that's a option. Don't think too much, enjoy your time with the parents for six months !

5. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Your MIL itself has told that they cannot keep you ,your husband will sure be able to see the mindset about you.You can try to stay at your mom's place and still be in the good books of your husband.

sindmani likes this.
  6. Sangeeta85

Sangeeta85 Gold IL'ite

Is he going just for once for 6 months or more frequently .. this time go to mom place n enjoy .. ur mil said she can't keep u so it's good bcz u don't have to be the bad one in ur husband mind..it's better to stay away from mil then staying with them..

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I like clarity even when it hurts.

If you're sure that there's no ambiguity or room for misinterpretation, if she really said that*, then find other options. Do it gently, without drama or an air of finality. There may be other situations like this one in the future, so treat this as a test case or an experiment, not as the final answer.:beer-toast1:

*If this were true in my case, I know I would beat a hasty retreat!:lol:

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    sindmani likes this.
  8. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP,
    Your MIL's comment is a "blessing in disguise".
    Do whatever you like to do : go with your dh (consider this if you can) or stay with your parents.
    Enjoy!

sindmani and NeetaR like this.
  9. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

Your husband wants to enjoy a bachelor life for 6 months I think . 6 months away from daily responsibilities involving mother wife, kids and in a foreign country , he is just making ******** excuses about expenditure , he just wants to enjoy alone. Tell your husband he has to take you along . I think you have been taken for granted by your husband and inlaws . Time to show your displeasure with this loud and clear.

10. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Why couldn't he just discuss this with you and you both could come to a mutual decision? It doesn't feel rite that you had to push n push in order to even get any answer.

You are educated too, so you could also do online research about finding affordable accommodation, education (if any), cost of living and come to a decision if it will work or not.

This is blessing in disguise since u don't want to stay either. Keeps you in the good books and free.

Are you ok with this?

You are not wrong in thinking that. N also I don't even think you would be able to stay there even for a day without your dh. Your mil's statement clears that. So you don't have to worry about that part.

It's still a good option to go. As it will be a good change to live some where else and experience that too. And it gives you guys a chance to live without any in laws dramas n just focus on yourselves. Do online research n find ways to save as much as possible n see if it can work.

sindmani likes this.