1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is This Rude ?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by mangaii, May 30, 2022.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

@mangaii
    Honestly if you ask me you are too nice. If I were in your place I would have just hung up on her when she started her nonsense. Try it sometime. Simply hanging up on them midsentence sends a powerful message without having to sit and fret about finding the right words etc. I wouldn’t suggest it for elders etc but siblings are fair game. There is really no need for you to just sit there and hear or take in all that nonsense you know?

I understand your concern about not wanting to alienate loved ones but it goes both ways. I feel it’s okay to silently hang up or otherwise firmly indicate that some subjects are off the table to enforce some boundaries while still communicating pleasantly on other subjects is a reasonable expectation.
    And the concern about not alienating cuts both ways. You are also only sib for her. She will also realize that she needs to be within her limits when interacting with you. My point is you have to show her her limit at least once, and therefore enforce it but in milder ways while communicating on other issues like mom etc. She simply can’t blurt anything and everything without a filter.

mangaii, yellowmango and chanchitra like this.
  2. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Well I got a call from my sibling today morning. I anticipated one of the two things
    1.Surface level apology and wait for another opportunity to hurt me again
    2.Some past achievement which they will represent as something happened yesterday and act like nothing happened in previous call.

This is a pattern and all this time I have fallen prey to this. If it is first case, I will convince myself that I don't have anyone so I should let go. If it is second case, I'm indifferent to their life and it will only make me resent this relationship since they didn't acknowledge how they hurt me.

For time being I'm not planning to talk or put words out there which I will regret later. I will give my mind and body to recover and focus my time in work. I know when they call it is evening time for them but any family call in the morning would disturb me to the point I won't focus on work and brood over the conversation. If anything this experience has taught me is to value myself in any relationship. It doesn't matter whether the person hurting me is my SIL or my sibling I need to keep my distance .