1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this customised Amnesia designed by God for me alone?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by iswaryadevi, Sep 1, 2010.

1. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

No no...I am not going to talk about Ghajini or other such movies in which one blow in the head and the hero either goes to coma or gets affected by amnesia. As far as my mom's memory (since I do not rely on mine) I have not received any blow on my head. But still i find it really hard to remember anything at all. I am lucky to have my mom search anything for me and I mostly keep my belongings in the same place so I do not end up searching. But there are other things I tend to forget so easily.

Once I borrowed my colleague's (XXX) mobile phone for testing my application. When finished, I went to the loo and returned back to my desk only to find it missing. I inquired all my team mates, searched all the drawers much to their annoyance. I went in search of it in the next room, my way to the loo only to be stared at as if I was some zoo animal. Finally after half an hour of searching, frustrated I went to XXX and told him 'Your mobile...' He cut short me in between and asked "Do you want it again?" I could not bring myself to speak anything for a few seconds. Then I asked him 'You...You have it?'. He replied 'You gave it half an hour back itself mam...' Actually I had returned him the mobile on the way to the loo and totally forgot it and started searching for it again.

One day when it was time to leave I locked my drawer, took my bag to pull out my id card. Yeah...it was missing. I searched it throughout the office, retraced my steps where all I went, asked my colleagues. And yes, you would have guessed it by now, it was safely locked in my drawer. What amazes me is, keeping something somewhere and searching for it after few days is at least acceptable. But I had actually taken out my id card from my bag, locked it in the drawer and immediately started searching for it.

Another day I was working at a stretch for 4 hours without break. I felt so thirsty and went to the loo first and then went near the cooler. But now I was not feeling thirsty any more. Does this mean I already drank water and then went to the loo? I still do not know.

There are many more such incidents. But by now you would have known about me and yes I forgot the rest, only these 3 incidents do I remember (as they are the ones I am constantly reminded of by my colleagues). Do share your such similar stories also so that I will be in peace that I am not the only one suffering from such a memory.

PS - On a serious note, any doctor out there reading this or anyone who has some knowledge of such things, can you please tell me if this is normal or any remedy available for it. I really find it so difficult with this kind of memory.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. sujathaumakanth

sujathaumakanth Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ice :) well I don't know if it is a normal thing, but I have similar experiences where I have had loss of time more than memory !!! Sometimes when I drive, I often end up wondering how I reached point B from point A. It kinda freaks me a lot, but I guess when the mind is too occupied, you just lose track of stuff. But if you are really worried, I do believe there are vitamins that you can take to enhance your memory, but usually eating a lot of greens does help.

Cheers,
    Sujatha

3. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Hi Ice...

God is really gracious to you to customise this kinda amnesia's :rotfl
    You look like a Lady Ghajini :hide:
    Nice write up..
    I am also one such lucky like you will definetely share with you all..:coffee

4. nityakalyani

nityakalyani Gold IL'ite

Dear Ishwarya,

Nice notes.This is not amnesia but sheer absentmindedness. Since we are all multitaskers our aim is to fifnish the tinhs at that time itself. We would have made the relevant entries and filed at the correct place but would forget the title and hence struggle to recollect. Even just now i had the same problem.A student asked me to prepare notes on 'Inchcape rocks' but i remembred the inch and rock part but forgot the 'cape' part. Searched the computer in all files and got disgusted. Then went to have a cup of water and searched in goole to get the word "cape" and i was able to detect the stored file. at present all details into ppt.

Thanks this gave me a break from my long hours with computers.

nityakalyani

5. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Ice, (your name reminds me of the ice-katti song in my rausu thread, anyway)

Absentmindedness. Oh, he is a good friend of mine. Now we have a mutual friend :biglaugh

6. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

simply loved this part Ishwarya. I face these kinds day to day, got used to it now. initially suspected some paranormal activity goign around me and worried why is it that ghosts like to play with me so much, and later realize it was me and my self. Hello Brother Spiderman. You have copany.
    i have loads to share in this regards and feel quite happy that i have company. LOL!

would you beleive if i said okay i will list them out in points. i am so proud of them ;)

Once went to office without shoes on bare socked foot. Realized after getting down at office's parking lot (another culprit is the fact that i cannot drive with my shoes on, so i dint realize it until i had to get down). Went running into paylessshoe source all in formals lappy and bare foot. Sales assistant was very intersted in helping me that day.

I am currently holding a 3rd copy of my Indian passport. Lost it first (realized it only on the morning of my visa interview), left it in a pan bunk second time, ran it through washing m/c the third time. Indian embassy said shoult this repeat, i would be packed strt to India and my right to a passport would be taken off from me. i know am hopeless. well, i know the trouble i had to face, so i dont even for joking want to take pride at this particular incident

Another most most embarassing moment when in hostel. i think you would be able to guess these. not tomention the number of times i lost my walled.

Things am doing to overcome might help others like us:
    -i keep stick note in my shirt pocket and hand all the time.
    -notes sticked on my wallet and things to do. keep ticking each one off the list.
    -whenever go out forcibly remember to make a note of items i am carrying and when returning check if i have all of those.

think am getting paranoid?!!

And now before i forget the meeting am supposed to attend in a minute, i will make a move. will be back later with more. bye folks.

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the tips. It helps!

8. Anabika

Anabika Silver IL'ite

Hi Ishwaryadevi,

First of all, I want to tell you that my sister and you share the same name. That too a rare combination.

It was a very interesting read. It is pure absentmindedness as others mentioned. I am in the same boat.

Mine is little different, I forget only things and not the actions that I did. I used to forget my handbag at our friends place couple of times and loose wallet at some store couple of times. So, now I am trying hard to keep my things safe and am getting better at it.

Let me share my recent experience.

For past 2 weeks, I am badly trying to go to the gym in my Office in order to save time waiting for my carpool mates.

1. First day, I forgot my shoes and had only gym dress with me.
    2. Second day, I carefully took my shoes which were in a separate bag and forgot to get the bag where I had my gym suit.
    3. Third day, I made sure I had both and unfortunately, I forgot my badge at home ( we need to give our badge in order to get the looker room key),so I was not able to go.
    4. Fourth day, I made sure everything is there in my car, at the last minute, the plan changed and the other person in my carpool wamted to drive that particular day and I forgot to take all these things from my car :bonk and took only the hand bag in the rush.

Today I have everything with me as I drove today, hope I will find time to go to gym.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Ishwarya,

This surely is quite a malady. At the first instance, it sounds funny, but I know it is anything but funny for you. I am sure you have been into various emabarrasing situations. But reading other replies, you may now be comforted in knowing you are not alone!

Actually, I too am very absent minded, don't know if it is a partial amnesia?! I cannot even zero it down to my age as I have always been this way. The number of times I have lost my pens, jumpers and cardigans in school led my parents not to buy me anything of value. Today, I search ages for matching blouses, a pair of trousers or most important, my reading glasses! Keep buying stuff thinking I have not bought it and I can drag out not one or two, but a load of cleaning materials and shower gels and shampoos! I prefer to leave my jewels in the bank for fear of losing them. That is something I cannot afford to do! Learnt that expensive lesson by losing some! :(

Well, I wish you better luck and maybe you too should use lots of post-its and other memory helps.

L, Kamla

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Well, I wish you better luck and maybe you too should use lots of post-its and other memory helps. - there you go Madam. I forgot what they were called. Now they are post-its. Different colored sticky papers. My walled is covered by them on both sides, without gap.

Edit: Yes it is really frustrating, sometimes. We dont know whom to curse :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010