1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

is this common?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by kinjal, Jan 6, 2016.

1. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

i dont know if this is common with indian parents. Let me provide details. i have been married for more than 9 years now. i havent taken any money from my parents for wedding or for anything else. even i managed to take care of my education with scholorships , charitable trusts. I helped my brother complete his education by funding all his fees. i brought flat and i tranferred to their name before marriage. i live in USA. there were many occasions when i needed help but my parents refuse to come. They came last time when my daughter was born 5 years back and i paid for everything, thier site seeing , shopping , travel etc. After that they never came back.

Recently my brother also moved to USA. This year again i had some medical things going on and needed somebodys help. I asked my parents and told them i can book return ticket from my brothers place so they can visit him before going back to india. They agreed but since the day they arrive here they want to go to my brothers place. Before booking tickets i had told them i will need help untill jan end and then they can go to my brothers place. But everyday they ask when they can goto brothers place. They dont even think twice that i had invited them for a reason and i needed some help. This time also i took care of all the expenses. They dont really care of anything else except wanting to visit my brother and his kids specially their grandson. It feels like i have kept them in prison. Everyday i get to hear that this is not their place so they dont enjoy here. Their sons home is their home so they would love to go there. But they dont mind taking costly gifts from me or my husband. My mom asked for new smart phone. i offered my used iphone she refused to take. so i brought new smart phone for her. When it time for them to gift something its always my brother and his wife. Anything from costly sarees to gold they offer it to my brother and his family. They even openly says that whatever given to their sons family remains in family and whatever given to me goes out of family. probably thats why they dont offer me anything.
    is this normal with indian parents? i am so fedup right now. i would really appriciate some help but im thinking to send them to their sons home early. It hurts to hear my family , their family crap everyday.
    is this normal? is this how girls parents behave with married daughters? or its just me?

2. Lakshmipav

Lakshmipav Silver IL'ite

@kinjal, kinjal not really Indian parents are like this .. I rarely hear parents behaving like this .. Sorry to hear ur situation .. But did u try to find out what can be the reason they are not feeling like to stay with u .. Is ur parents are comfortable with ur DH n kids during their visit ..

I see parents really enjoy staying with their daughters provided SIL treats them well .. But when it comes to sons house it's like Thier house they feel ..

give them comfort feeling ask them treat it like Thier sons home .. If they want to go back ur bro house don't stop them let them go ..

as per giving gifts it's really sad to hear ur situation .. Really parents love to buy gifts to daughters .. When ever I go home my parents n bros fill my suitcases with gifts ..

but just don't calculate love with gifts .. What ever they gave take it .. If not giving don't expect .. Live happily with ur DH n kids ..

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It is not just you. There are more threads where an OP has shared similar family dynamics and her vexation with it. It is more prevalent than we'd expect.

In addition, parents favoring one adult child over another is gender-neutral - some favor the daughter over son, or one daughter/son over another daughter/son.

Time brings perspective, and with perspective comes some understanding of the reasons for this behavior of parents. As your life's other joys and sorrows take place, this slowly moves to its rightful spot in the big picture that is the puzzle of life.

sindmani likes this.
  4. kinjal

kinjal Bronze IL'ite

i dont think DH is making them uncomfortable. may be this bacground help. my dad has brothers and none of them have son. everybody have daughrers so my dads brothers sometimes go and live with their daughters. Both my mom and dad make fun of them that they are staying with guests. My parents tell them to come and stay with them instead of living with daughters because according to them brother is family but married daughters are not. Well, i use to hear this for last couple of years from my cousins but i didnt knew their feelings are so strong.

regarding gifts, i haven't received anything since wedding. however they do buy gold earrings and gold necklace when my daughter was born.

i think i know what i need to do now. thanks for reply.

5. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

This has nothing to do with you. There are many parents out there who do not know to balance their resources (be it wealth, affection, or other priorities) between multiple children and resort to favoritism in obvious ways. While you cannot change their preference or preferential treatment of one child over another, what you can do is to maintain some distance with them - even if it is your parents. Don't take favors or obligations from them. Keep relationship a little formal and on the surface without wearing your feelings on display. Keep your children in touch with grandparents and stop with that. Protect yourself - your resources too (be it wealth, affection or priorities) from them so you do not get hurt in the process.

sindmani and NeetaR like this.
  6. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

Same story as mine! See my thread OP!

I just want to give you a big big hug. I know how it feels. It really really hurts.

Why did u transfer the flat to their name??? Will it now go to their son as inheritance???

May be just book their tickets (feb/march whenever u want to) - so that they have a date to look forward to. Its very irritating I know. Ask your brother to book? Come on - he can do that much!

7. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

This could be one of the reason, I am afraid to visit India. When it comes to my mom, I am simply blind and whomever she points, I have to pay my dues (large sum of money). It ended up a list of her favorites.

If I don't listen to her, she no longer takes my phone call, an emotional blackmail? Slowly, I stopped talking to her....weeks became months now, after my dad passed away.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Some Indian parents believe that way, and you can't easily change their mind if it is strongly set that way from a young age.

sindmani and Lakshmipav like this.
  9. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

@OP..
    These days, exploitation and relatives are becoming synonymous.. take that flat back ASAP.. .

10. indoc

indoc Gold IL'ite

I don't understand this .. on one hand they consider a married daughter not part of the family, but the same "outsider" has to pay for their airfares, gift them smart phones, transfer property .. this is bull.. hypocrisy at its best

sindmani, Mylifeatusa and Jas8085 like this.