1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this an extra-marital relationship?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pstar, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pstar

pstar Junior IL'ite

first let me apologise for the long thread-but I feel I need to explain the detials so that it can be clear to all...

I have been married for close to 8 years-we have beautiful children...but this is one question that has been lurking in my mind from the day I married him...

The day we got married, the same evening, after all the friends had departed, hubby was busy with his family paying off the lighting people,caterers, etc...( for the evening tea he had kept at his house)...and in the meantime he handed me his college snaps so that I could while away my time....
    that is when I noticed HER!!!
    She is there in every snap, quite literally in every snap with my hubby- every excursion, training or trip he has taken, she is there in the snaps....then there are single snaps of hers too-in sari, smiling coyly...initially i flipped through the album without thinking much, but after I closed the album, as I had not much interest (I mean I dont know any of his friends so..) but then the thought of why there are single snaps of this girl alone?? So, I flip through the album again, and start taking note-yes, she is there in every snap where my hubby is there and there is also AGHAST!! her marriage snap, and there again my hubby and about three other friends of his.....now Im confused-Love failure?? Ok I cant read too much into the expression on his face, but then maybe a bit too serious in her wedding snap!!?? :bonk

Ok, Ive closed the album, hubby walks in and says he was busy with the people, u saw the snaps? and puts the album in the drawer of the table and closes it....I say-emm, i saw, i wanted to know some names...-He looks surprised, then smiles-ok- pulls out the album...I ask the named of a few other classmates and then I say, I want to know this girls name- and he is surprised but he gives me her name-he asked my why u asked her name?...and then I dont know what to answer,so I say, becos i think she is good looking:bonk ( i dont know why i said that-but i needed some silly excuse and I should say she is pretty...)
    And already my heart is missing a few beats, and feel Im going to faint...my parents call ( my hubbys house is very very far away from my house) to check Im ok, Im almost in tears, but I dotn know what to tell them......I feel cheated already and I want to cry and run away from this house......
    Maybe at this point I should tell u that ours is an arranged marriage...I was born and brought up abroad, but my parents have always instilled in us the indian culture. My hubby came to work in the same place ( abroad), responded to the matrimonial ads put by my parents, met me ( officially) and then sent a photo and details to his parents to consider....the horoscopes matched ( that is why my parents allowed for the boy to come see me.
    On hubbys side, they received my photo and horoscope details- and hubbys letter that he has seen the girl or whatever ..fil, mil visited my place( very very far away from theirs) came to see my grandparents (they were definitely impressed by my house-asked a lot of details about it it seems) and anyways said yes.
    So my parents called up and spoke to ils to discuss about further matters..( abt dowry and such, is another big story,maybe ill start another thread) and then my parents gave the phone to me saying mil wants to speak......well conversation goes as this
    mil: did u like my son?
    me: yes.
    MIL:does he stay near ur house?
    me: no, he stays a bit far off.
    MIL: does he work near ur office?
    me: no..its in that direction but his office is not near my office ..
    mil: so u go by car to office?
    me: no, Ï go by bus
    then mil gives phone to the 2nd dil of the house (my sil that is )
    sIL: hi, how are u? U must have seen him no....did u like him?
    ME: yes
    SIL: ( feels like someone is pestering her, so she is hesitantly asking) so u guys used to meet in the bus?
    ME: no
    SIL: u people in the same bus or seen each other while travelling in ur buses to office?
    me: no
    I reach my wits end and give the phone to my parents...
    they say ok we will call later to discuss abt engagement ( cos his parents insisted they want an engagement, before marriage as they have not seen girl)
    I told my mom -see they are talking like this-they suspect its a love marriage...my parents say-come on they know, he must have written to his parents the whole details, besides any parent will be anxious when son comes up with pic and all , so they are just asking u their doubts.
    ME-so that means they dont trust him, or else, he is a big romeo, they suspect that he doesnt leave any girl who lives near him "( other wise why the question)...
    My parents just laugh it off, and mom says-they are just asking for their peace of mind to reconfirm thats all, its only natural for parents to check, u dont know thats why u are feeling like that-nothing to worry.

Lets fast forward to the engagement( where hubbys sis, insults me in front of my friends) After everyone leaves, I tell my parents, but they say maybe she was cranky with her two kids and long trip thats why she was irritated and gave angry retort-let it go...i say-if before engagement this is the talk, what she will say after marriage...my mom tells me maybe she is jealous after seeing our house and us, thats why-just forget it.
    fast forward to marriage and u know now what has happened on the first day itself...

A few days after marriage, my mil says u know DH classmates, they used to come here every time, especially X ( lets name HER)..?
    I say-yaaa, I saw some snaps of hers..
    mil is surprised-where? when he told u? before marriage? and u saw the snaps
    I say-no just on the first day, in the evening he showed me the snaps.
    mil-yes, she was very good girl, she used to come and always in kitchen with me helping me out and all ( and a sneak smirk on her face and looks at me)...
    I suddenly feel- is she trying to compare me to X, and say that I m not helping her out in the kitchen ....( this is happening when she s chopping up veggies at the dining table and Im just sitting and chatting with her):hide:

Maybe I should say now that mil used to work earlier, and after retiring too, she was in the habit of waking up at 4 in the morning and cooking the bfast, and lunch in the morning , (she alternates between two curries, so either one of that curry and rice would be cooked in large quantites every day) and the lunch left overs would be served for dinner, and the following days, else if she is not in the mood to keep in the fridge, something she will just throw out. Already on the next day of marriage at 7 she ordered the 2nd sil to knock and break our bedroom door down so that we would wake up and get out of the bedroom :hide: I am still quite ashamed,of this-cos I fully intended to wake up early atleast on the first day!! But, since was tired after the tiring schedule before and on the wedding day, got late in getting up in the morning (bad marks on first day itseld)

Well, coming to the topic- a few days after my mil apparently compared me to X, we go to DH sisters house and she tells me I have something to show u and she brings her marriage album..
    Hers was a love marriage, my ils agreed, but the boys family didnt consent, so my ils conducted a lavish marriage for their only daughter, with the whole hall full of only their relatives, and the boy has no-one by his side, not even his parents...
    Well, in the album she points to a picture and LO BEHOLD, beaming behind the happily married couple is DH and X, such broad smiles they are giving and they are standing soooo close, as if it were their marriage snap and not DHs sister's....
    then DHs sister whispers-u know she is of lower caste and she used to frequent our house very often after class...jsut see in this snap-they are standing like chatti and kaalam, thattiyum muttiyum (touching and hitting like pots and pans)and after my marriage I told my brother directly.dont think just because parents agreed for my marriage ( her hubby is same caste) even I will not support this bcos she is low caste....

I was dumb struck the smile on my face was wiped out, my fears were confirmed!!1-DH who was talking to his bil asked what happened and his DS blurted out, I was telling ur wife abt X....HE saw the look on my face and his smile too was wiped off, so was the bil dumbstruck...he shouted at his wife-u dont have any other thing to say, they are just married and as if there is nothing else to say u bring one album out....
    I am in tears and I say I want to go home, DH is confused, his sister says - I thought she knows, no pls drink something from here then only go....come on, í thought u were mature enough to handle this, thats why i told u ...pls don insult us, drink something and then u can go home....so we stayed drank something and DH dropped me back in his house and he went out sayng he had some urgent things to attend to...i was crying my heart out, didnt know what to do..call my parents? how to explain all this over phone while staying in ils house-besides they have a parallel line and I already suspected that they were hearing my conversations on the first day itself.
    DHs sister calls from office to check if im ok-come on dont be so childish and all that..mil has a sheepish look on her face, when I come to dining table for lunch!!
    Then when we return back (abroad) and my parents follow after a few months to their house, I tell my mother, and she just laughs it away-oh so what? now she is married and he is married to you-so what? just forget it!!

Well, fast forward-I never broached on the topic -but deep inside it ached and ached and I felt, I had been used, like I got a second hand husband-like he maybe settled for me ( second best) becos he cudnt marry X.
    Well X is very smart, she didnt have a house of her own, parents lived in rented house, while she stayed in hostel, so was able to come and frequent DHs house during her college days, and then I dont know if they split or not, but maybe she realised that theirs couldnt work out, so when she went for training, she roped in a senior much richer than DH but same caste as DH (some one with a heart condition and had initially planned on not marrying at all becos of the condition) and although his parents didnt like that she was lower caste, atleast they got their son to agree to a marriage so she got married.
    Maybe becos of this I feel my hubby used to drink and smoke, then fell severly ill and was bed ridden for nearly 2 years-I dont have evidence if the drinking and smoking started after her wedding, but I am sure its becos of his earlier bed ridden state that he didnt get any proposals from nearby...he had seen only 2 other girls before me...even though he is highly qualified.
    ( the bed ridden stage and all was not disclosed to us before marriage also)

Then within 6 month of our marriage, DH starts giving me talks, I will divorce u ( as if joking):idontgetit: He would say it as a joke, but it always felt very serious for me and I should say maybe at times I dount if I dont truely love him bcos deep down I have a fear that he may leave me and go....Even fil has commented to him -why are u saying like this all the time, u shouldnt joke about such things.....

We had our first child and since X was nowhere in the pic, I felt comparatively safe. although DH is good,(given up smoke and drinks after his bed ridden condition go better) and a good father, Ï feel sometimes that he is not open and keeps a lot of things to himself-but presents a very simple, humble picture of himself to me......

Well, DH changes job and we go to another country and then after all the papers have been signed and we are searching for movers, DH breaks the news to me that X is there in the new place, so we can get all the help we need. :shock:

So X is very welcoming and warm, picks us up from the airport, does all the help for us along with her hubby taggin along ( DHs senior too in college) they are all a great company the three of them-old college jokes, I cant understand a thing. X and hubby pull DHs leg and he just sits and smiles ( :idontgetit: and I dont like the way they put my DH down in their joking ways)-Even once after we had been to their house, and they were in their usual banter, putting my hubby down, and hubby doesnt object, but Í dont laugh but maintain a very straight face when they talk like that...and then when we were leaving one of the other guests, who had joined in the putting down of my DH, apologised to me saying Im sorry I had to speak like that to ur hubby, these people will talk like that, I know u dont like it..so next year, will u invite me for this function to your home?? and I was soooo mad that I said, yaaa-if u guys are willing to get ur stomachs into trouble....:bonkI was biting my tongue the whole time ( while they were putting DH down) and I couldnt help it slip out -then i felt bad and added-its cos Im not such a good cook as X.....
    then X is laughing with her hubby and saying-no, no...she knows us and doesnt object to us making fun- she knows we always talk like this only...
    But I swear I have not forgiven her for puttng my DH down.
    Then she is quite the social butterfly -was called the BBC by some classmates- an apt name, so u can just imagine how she is
    She will call my hubby mostly every day -definitely not a week goes by without her calling up on his mobile and chattering about how she lost weight- have i lost any? and whats news in my house...
    My hubby will give her all details of whats happening in the house and it bugs me that she calls me once in 3 months and asks me how is this? did u do this, like i told ur DH to do? Ur DH told me u guys are planning to do this, so what is the situation, have u started packing-how is ur childs cold (maybe a last mnths issue cos she calls me once in 3 months) -maybe so that I dont suspect?
    is this an extra marital affair?
    If my hubby gets 5 mins time to himself-like he knows Im taking a bath or just going out for a walk, or while he is waiting in the car while I dress, or while he is accompanying the kids to the playground, he will call her and they will chit chat
    I have a few doubts:-
    1-maybe she is doing this to create a complex in me? that she is superior to me and knows whats happening in my house?
    2-maybe she wants to tell my hubby that she is thinner, smarter than me?
    3-Or she is having a complex about the caste issue..
    She is super friendly to my kids and tries to take DH and my kids in her hands, even my guests and all.
    Once when she saw my parents she came to the kitchen and asked me -ur dad, what is this??(my dad is very dark)...thank god u didnt get his colour...:evil: I was shocked :shock: I didnt know what to answer, but trust me I would have punched her face flat , I was that angry!!
    I really dont know what to do-I tried to ignore this lady, but I cant ignore the fact that the days when my DH drops me off first say to the hospital or anywhere before proceeding to office late, she calls up on his mobile ( during his usual driving time to office) and he will just cut the call when it rings, telling oh- its X, ill call her later...so he doesnt talk to her in front of me- but bcos they were in college, its kind of like gives her a right to talk to my DH anything and everything....???
    I sometimes despair to the stage that I feel, maybe she married this senior with heart condition, so that he would pass away and then maybe then DH can marry her....
    DH used to keep commenting in the intial days of our marriage that someone read his palm and told him he will marry twice-so Is he trying to get lucky the second time around???

2. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Hi pstar

Have a frank talk with your husband and ask him upfront that you deserve to know the truth. If he dodges, tell him that you are not a fool and he cannot take you for granted. I'm sorry but you just have to stand up and give him a whacking on his head! You have had such a 'Major' doubt for 8 years now!! If I were you, I would have confronted him right in the beginning itself! From your post, it is not clear if you have ever confronted him directly about X. I would suggest you first do that.

You have chidlren together and YOU and THEM are his first family.
    If I were you, I would outright tell my husband to cut off contact with her.
    As long as you let him walk all over you, he is going to. Divorce, marrying twice by astrology are not jokes any husband who is serious about his wife makes and often at that.

As for X, ignore her. If she is being smart alec, please learn to defend yourself. It looks to me that you are soft spoken by nature, which is good..but that does not mean anybody can say anything and get away with it. If she calls you and questions you about your life, cut her off. Don't take her calls. If she visits and asks you pointed questions, just tell her with a big smile that that it is YOUR life and YOU will worry about it..and while you understand she wants to be a good 'friend' she needs to back off. She is again walking all over you and you are letting her!!

Please don't wait and think more about this..act now.

Good Luck.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  3. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

First things, they are your DH's friends. Let them maintain his friendship with them. If they are decent with you, you also maintain, otherwise please have your own friend's circle and keep them at a distance. If she talks irrelevant things to you over phone, I dont see any reason why you still have to be polite to her. Give her back if she crosses her limits.

I dont understand why your DH makes so many phone calls to her in the day and that too in your absence. Ask him to reduce his phone calls and talking personal stuff with her as it is making you uncomfortable and angry. He should respect your sentiments as well as you are his wife.

4. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

i dono if itx extra martial relationship or just friendship but its toooooooooo much
    and i wonder how you are bearing all this nonsense.
    there is a limit for everything i guess they crossed it long back
    i am sure something is going behind your back

5. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I dont understand why your DH makes so many phone calls to her in the day and that too in your absence. Ask him to reduce his phone calls and talking personal stuff with her as it is making you uncomfortable and angry. He should respect your sentiments as well as you are his wife.

If I were you, I would outright tell my husband to cut off contact with her.

I also vouch for this.
    You have to speak to your DH in this case, many forget/ dont realise that their childhood/ teen friendhips are no music to their spouses :coffee.

6. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Eight years and two kids is not stopping your DH from flirting with this female , it must be making him feel good ! Time to put a stop to it before things go out of hand.

Nowadays its common to see people develop close friendships in front of the spouses eyes all in the name of being modern and liberated. you should tell your DH that you are not comfortable with his close friendship and he should put a stop to it.
    This type of friendship leads to emotional infidelity meaning that the wife feels leftout because the errant DH takes the wife foregranted .

Also do not take your DHs snide remarks about second marriage , jokes about divorce etc quitely , he is just trying to make you subdued and miserable and is enjoying your misery. Do not give him the pleasure of seeing you cower and cry.
    How does the DH of X react to his wifes behaviour ?

7. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Clearly X is behaving too much, crossing her limits. If I were in ur place, I wud straight away tell my husband to cut off relation-shiip with X.
    If X behaves too much, give her back well that she must understand that u dont like her interference.
    Speak to her about the sweet moments u and ur husband shared after marriage. Tell her that he is a gift for you and God has made you for him. Make her feel that ur husband is much attached to you than X.
    Dont loose heart. Things ll turn in to shape in a while.

8. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Dear pstar,
    First of all please don't feel inferior to this girl.Don't feel she is better than you. You are the Wife and Mother of your DH's children.....she is not.

Stop self pity and take action. If you feel you are haevier than her..go to a gym...if she is pretty..you get a makeover..Just don't let this thing Depress you.

Secondly..if some of your comments hurt you ..(like what she said about your dad) just give it back to her right then and there.

Maybe she had a thing and maybe all those things are true but you are the Wife.No one can take your place if you don't let them. Jaya is still Amitabh's wife and mother of his children..while the beautiful,sultry Rekha..is all alone (I feel sad for her but can never ever back her decisions).

Have a frank talk with your DH.Tell him you are fine with his friendships but this too much phones and him not talking in front of you is bothering you.(Don't bring up anything else or he will say you are crazy). Tell him straight away that you want limited calls and in front of you because this is hampering his family peace.

Hope this will work..Let us know how that goes.

Good Luck
    FL

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  9. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Pstar, I am having a hard time understanding this story. You say your husband and this X were very close but why did they not get married? I don't know if I'd call this an extra marital affair either. If they were so close in the past, why did they not marry each other? And why did your husband decide to marry you instead? I am assuming there is some reason behind it.

I can understand the way you feel about this X and her closeness with your husband but it could just be friendship. If it was more than that, don't you think they would have married each other?

I think its normal for you to feel jealous about another woman and her closeness with your husband and maybe some of the things you are imagining may not be true after all. It is hard for me to deduce anything conclusive out of your story except you two have some rivalry going on for obvious reasons because you think she is the 'other woman'.

It seems both your husband and this X have their own spouses and lives now so what is the cause for your concern? Wny would your husband marry you and she'd marry another bloke and then they would have an extra marital affair? Does not make any sense to me. Maybe you are reading too much into their friendship and closeness?

1 person likes this.
  10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Malavika

From my reading of these forums, it seems that it is not unheard of in arranged marriages for a husband (or wife) to have fallen in love with someone, and then go on to have an arranged marriage with someone else. This seems to be because the first lover was unsuitable for marriage in some way (wrong caste, religion, etc.).

As long as the spouse with the long-lost flame can forget about the first love and devote all attention to the wife/husband, I guess it'll be a happy ending. However, maybe in this case, the husband cannot forget his past love and has connived to re-introduce her into their lives.

It seems some people don't move on so easily, and do a great disservice to their spouse by continuing to have feelings (and act on those feelings) for the first love. So, it may not be as cut-and-dried as you expect it to be, or it would be for people who are free to marry whomever they happen to fall in love with.

I'm learning all about arranged marriages, and this dynamic is something I've noticed recounted a few times on these forums. Maybe I am wrong; I'm sure many people here would know better about this phenomenon.

By the way, I met and fell in love with my husband, and I would NOT AT ALL be happy if one of his old flames conveniently moved back into our lives and became his "friend". I think he'd feel the same about me resurrecting one of my old beaus.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.