Is there life after death

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sillygurl, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Well according to that logic it is fully possible Unicorn, Tinkerbell, Bigfoot, Toothfairy, Santa Claus and Nessie exist too but maybe I should say I don't know? LOL

Rebirth and life after death are things that have been peddled by organized religions ever since their inception and they have managed to peddle them with so much certainty and no proof. Throughout this, billions of humans have come and gone off the face of this planet and yet we do not have an iota of proof for any of these rebirth or life after death claims.

I don't make the assumption of 'It is fully possible these things exist and we do not know' for everything fellow human beings make up and every charlatan out there has one of these nebulous concepts they peddle with so much certainty. I just dismiss them as fiction or made up stuff.

And that would be my take on them :)

2. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

There are a lot of 'instances' which make you wonder abt rebirth. If I get some links, I'll post later. Search on the net, you will find many incredible stories.

But they are not 100% proofs, so I always have a question in my mind.

PS:
    Anyway - I am playing the Devils advocate here, really :) I usually take your stance when I talk to folks who firmly 'believe' in it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  3. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

And you really believe these alleged instances of rebirth or think if there maybe some truth to it?:rotfl

Yes, those net stories on rebirth are incredible and incredulous alright LOL So are stories of Nessie and Bigfoot sightings.

Sorry Spidey but I spent lot of years learning formally and informally to know the truth not learn everything about science and go 'Hmm, maybe it is possible that there is an invisible man up in the sky and maybe this cat I see might transform into me when its reborn' :rotfl
    That defeats the whole purpose of education which is to think critically not wonder if every quack theory out there possibly could be true but it is beyond our comprehension LOL

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Dont dismiss things before you get to atleast read about it. I am not talking abt quack stories that some idiot writes on some blog.

Anyway - I dont track them -so dont have them ready to hand out. If I get them from folks, I'll see if I can share the info.

In anycase, I am not trying to convince you (since I am not convinced myself). But my take is to not be dismissive of things too early on.

5. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Oh, I'll read about it if you post those links. I figure at the worst case, I can get a good laugh out of them. Problem is I have read one too many of these alleged stories of rebirth or ghosts or speaking to the dead people and they are all bollocks someone made up LOL

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

LOL! I will use every thing you post here when I argue with the believers :)
    Its all ammunition in my armor :biglaugh

I play both sides :coffee like the Eng goalie.

7. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

So why are you trying hard to peddle me these bs stories as 'it is possible they maybe true but we cannot comprehend it'? :rotfl Most of those theories are comprehendable for anyone with a double digit intelligent quotient and they don't have to look much closer to see right thru the bollocks.

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

As for the belief, I take the same stand as Spidey, I don't know about it, so I don't have an opinion about it. But I do like the Hinduism take on it that death (moksha) is the ultimate liberation and the worse one's conduct is, the farther the person is from that liberation. Not that it does anything to make people start being good to each other, but the idea that one has to face consequences of their actions seems like a pretty good explanation!

Malavika

For a person that's so hung up on freedom of speech and thought, you sure seem to sound very condescending about people and ideas that don't subscribe to your ideas! Strange!

Now if you start arguing that it is your constitutional right to opine that way about people and their ideas, I guess there would be no end to the argument :) It's just an observation that I have made from many posts of yours.

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Coz I want to try and look at it with an open mind. :)

10. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Hmm I have to subscribe to the idea that people can be reborn and there are actual stories of this bollocks on the internet and if I don't, that is condescending?

Well just like it is your right to believe in them, it is my right to question them or call them bollocks. Why is that so difficult to understand?