Is There Any Right Age Difference?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Archanaanchan, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Archanaanchan

Archanaanchan IL Hall of Fame

Hi IL's ,
    I have a few friends hunting for their better halves. Since I'm already sailing in the ship of marriage , I'm thought an experienced soul who could advice on few check points for choosing the guy . The most common n often asked question is the right age difference that one should consider .

According to me, there is no right age difference! That doesn't mean marrying a guy with 10+ years of age difference is all fine ! I believe it's basically to do with the compatibility .I suggest my friends on meeting the guy and speaking to him and then deciding on taking up or putting down . I know it's going to be totally not so easy to know someone in n out in a few meetings . But I believe thinking a 2 year older guy would be totally ok n compatible than a 7 yr older is totally wrong !

I would like to know more opinions on this here !

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Equal age to 7-8 years difference seems fine unless:
    1. You are a gold digger married to a 70 year old & are all planned for life after him !
    2. Agar Dil Mil Gaye aur compatibility bhi , then age kya cheez hai?

Don’t think age has much bearing, but if one’s open enough to marry someone significantly older then they better be open enough to live alone , should they outlive the other..

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    sindmani and Archanaanchan like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Archanaanchan

As you have rightly said compatibility is the key and if two people are compatible, then age is just a number.

In a love match, everything is fine. But in an arranged match, many factors are considered, whether we agree with them or not, some of them do have good logic behind them and they are:

1. Horoscope. (Personally, I don't have much belief in it.)
    2.Financial status: more or less equal status works well. If the guy is slightly well off, the girl will compromise more easily.:tonguewink:
    3. Apperaence: Individual choice.
    4. Age: Men are comparatively more immature than women of the same age, women age faster than men, in general. So it is better to have at least 2-4 years difference.
    In arranged matches, an age difference of more than 5-6 years is generally not favoured. Ten years difference is almost a NO. Some of the reasons are; his early retirement, a mismatch in (loss of) interest in life, sexual incompatibility, death (In most cases, women outlive their men) and so on.
    5.In-laws/ family background.
    6. Educational background.
    7. Since these days most women work, even his location and their combined job prospects are considered.

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Consider the percentage of not-so-happy marriages in one’s circle of friends. One’s own marriage is likely going to be about as happy. Given such odds, the first decision is whether to marry or not. If one were to decide to marry, the age-difference criterion is not highly ranked among the 7 things one should mind. Need Advice In Arranged Marriage

5. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

Age difference in a marriage bears no significance at all as long as you are compatible with each other.

Archanaanchan likes this.
  6. Archanaanchan

Rightly agree ! Highlight compatibility as the key

7. Archanaanchan

@Nonya Well said as always The Best part I liked in that post is ' not forgetting being financially independent ' . Less women really realise the importance of it though n many times complain family responsibilities and working can't go hand in hand so it's best to quit job n concentrate on family .

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. Archanaanchan

Very neatly put up in points @GeetaKashyap
    I slightly disagree with you point no 4 ! Why is 5-6 years not favoured ? I believe the reasons you've mentioned is not always true !
    Loss /death - This is purely dependent on one's health not necessary that a 5 year older will always have a early death . Loss of interest in life is not ALWAYS true either . That's all individual specific .

9. Archanaanchan

Pyaar's your last statement was bang on !!!

10. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Dear,

These are not my personal views. I have just mentioned the mindset of parents in arranged marriages. Death, life's ups n downs, or even health are only predicted but they need not happen accordingly. If only we could know the expiry date, life could be planned and lived in a far better way, isn't it?