1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is the society being hypocritical?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by anika987, Aug 19, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

We say women should be allowed to dress what they like,wherever they like.It is a dream for everyone no doubt.

Many even comment noone has a right to judge others on what they wear.so true but how many are following it?

1) Many guys drool over girls who look great in sexy clothes but prefer only modest clothes girls and expect them to wear only such and such clothes in a certain place DESPITE talking about women's freedom in dressing.

2)women saying every gal has a right to wear whatever she likes but judging her mentally and thinking"yuck! she looks bad in that dress" or comment behind her back.

3)once people become parents,somehow the same people who talk about women' rights become bit conservative on their daughters.

True freedom for women can be only acheived if people truly stop mentally also judging other people.will that happen?

2. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

One century later, let's take stock of this situation on IL Forum.

2 people like this.
  3. Roar

Roar Gold IL'ite

You are not what others think...you are what you think you are. Just wear what ever you like and hold on to it.

1 person likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I do not think the above content of your post is anywhere relevant to the freedom of women. I must admit that there are certain things that needs to be changed, and there are certain areas where women still struggle to get freedom despite of their educational and financial freedoms. But why link freedom with your choice of cloths?

I wouldn't like or comment "great" if my husband or any men on road wear a sexy outfit. I mean a very sexy one like a tight underwear sort of thing. I would not encourage my son to like or look for body revealing cloths and wear them on public. I would certainly comment or gossip about the man's character if he is to roam in our street with such a sexy cloth.

That being said, wearing sexy cloths is not a crime. You can still do it in an appropriate place, where it is culturally, technically and religiously accepted. I was not even allowed to wear my usual skirt in Saudi Arabia. I was asked to wear a head scarf when I visited a temple in India. I was asked to plait my hair or tie it with a band when I entered a Buddhist temple in Sri Lanka.

So the next time, I would definitely advice my daughter or any female of my circle to be prepared with their dressing style whenever they visit those "special" areas.

I never wear modern cloths in the rural villages, but I was welcomed with a dirty look by an elderly woman in India when I attended a wedding of my husband's friend with a tight salwar Kameez. Perhaps she felt dirty with my brown colored hair, or heels or what. But that was the last time, I entered into a village without a saree and plaited hair.

It is definitely not about freedom, but about the understanding of the people around us. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Simple.

3 people like this.
  5. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

It goes both way.Every time I see Amir Khans poster of a new film (one in which he is almost nude..just holding transistor infront of his yaya .LOL) I stop breathing for a minute.I like it.But I won't marry same type of guy.
    Go figure out.We all have double standard.

1 person likes this.