1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Social Networking making us socially disabled in the real world?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ShailRaghuvansh, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ShailRaghuvansh

ShailRaghuvansh Silver IL'ite

This year had me receiving some extra birthday wishes. Usually, people who know me personally wish me by mail or by phone. But this time, unusually, I had a shower of good wishes. So, how did people suddenly realize that I had grown a year older? Yes, you got it right – Social networking. All these extra wishes were from people I had traced over the past few months on the internet or, who had traced me and we were connected via some of the innumerable social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, etc. Some were mere acquaintances. We did not interact everyday. All the same, we were connected on the net and said ‘hello’ every now and then. Was this list of net friends greater than the number of friends in the real social world of mine? I am sure that some of us would say ‘yes’ to that. Is this kind of hap hazard social networking deteriorating our real social lives? Is social networking becoming an addiction, something we would rather do than make friends in the real world? Is this technology advancement doing good to our social lives or making it worse?

Cyber relationships replacing social interaction?

Social networking is a boon to mankind. With the flick of a mouse we can connect with long lost friends and relatives, renew an old relationship or forge a new one! With just a click we can connect with strangers across the globe with similar interests and share thoughts and emotions with like-minded people we never even knew existed. With just a little tip tap on the keyboard, we can conduct official meetings and clinch deals without having to move from our seats. Without straying from our seats, by using the internet we can just chill out with old or new friends, promote our blogs or professional interests and also learn and teach without even having to spend anything except time and surfing cost which is very economical by today’s standards. In one line, social networking has become our social life to be indulged in at our own convenient space and time.

If social networking wasn’t there, many of us would be oblivious of each other’s existence and maybe lose out on many a beautiful friendship. But, is social networking without its flaws? Today, many houses boast of being members of a number of social networking sites with friends that would put any VIP to shame in the social market. Today, when families discuss about issues, invariably, someone from the virtual world finds a way into their lives. Some even wonder what this new element is doing in their lives when they did not even exist when the family started out together. While it could be way to relax, for many it becomes an obstacle in real life social interaction. Life becomes filled with smilies that substitute normal conversations. Many people never realize when social networking has slowly made its way into their lives leaving them with little or no time for their real families. They are worried about their network friends while their own family suffers like the case where a couple was so busy networking that their premature baby died due to malnutrition. That could be an extreme case but may of us especially the younger generation comes close to that when they shut off the real world to step into the world of the internet where reality isn’t as threatening as in real life. Without seeing people they make friends, some get into relationships, some even commit fraud just for the heck of it. This, in spite of the fact that the dangers of hacking accounts, misusing photos and personal information, stalking are more dangerous and easy with social networking than in real life.

I traced many of my old friends through some of these social networking sites, I am happy to stay connected. I will not deny it. Today, I have made some lovely friendships via social networking but I do wonder sometimes, can social networking ever replace real life interaction? And if it ever does some day, would we have all become internet zombies?

What do you say?

2. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Humans have been for ages into social networking. Society grows because of that. I guess you are talking about, the social media networking.

Social networking and social media – both have the world “social” in them, but they should not be confused as the same thing.

In simplest terms, social networking is the “what,” and social media is the “how."

We all have our own social connections (family/ friends/ relatives) in different areas and we tap on it when needed.

This does not stop any face to face interaction as far as I know.

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shail,
    what a wonderful and thought provoking post you have written!!A much needed analysis at this time.
    It may be the addiction to technology is a threat to the human intellect as well as the human spirit. The more you depend on technology the less you will find time for the inner needs of connectedness to friends, family, faith and the natural laws of the physical body. The real bliss comes from knowing oneself and the unfolding layers of why each soul is born on this earth in its individual family and culture. It often seems there is a duality; to make a difference or to be in the caravan of donkeys.Due to social networking people have stopped spending time with their families, friends, creative pursuits and spirituality; cultivating the garden of mind and harnessing the power of thinking.Humans are born with amazing talents so go and seek information from ideas and thoughts and feelings from real people, rather than a machine whose algorhythms are based on a few key words coming up with a myriad of possibilities pointing to endless searches of data. Data is not learning. . Our technology has outpaced our humanity. Addiction to anything makes one a slave. So as we mature we must first and foremost underscore our freedoms to think and feel as human beings and not be seduced by a potentially dangerous digital world.Sorry for the long one!!!
    with love
    pad

5. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Well written

I would say 'too much of anything is bad'...
    Let it be the present media or the virtual world or the real friends circle
    All influence our lives and striking a balance between them is needed

6. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Shail,

Hope you are doing well. I love this post of yours. You have written very lucidly about an issue that is on the minds of many these days.

While the social media networking has opened up channels of communication that were not available before by bringing the world to your doorstep with a click of a mouse, it is also drastically becoming an addiction to many thereby potentially tying up their eyes to focus only on their computer and blinding them to the real world around them.

I say this from personal experience too. It is wonderful without a doubt but it pays to be cautious about the amount of time we spend on it, I think. When you scowl at your child for interrupting you in the middle of sending 'smileys' to your friends and family in the virtual world, it is time to take a step back. :)

I am nominating this piece for the finest narration of this month. Excellent writing Shail. :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  7. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi

very well written on a thought provoking topic. Well, every thing has 2 sides, and balancing it, what makes the difference. Using the advantage of technology, at the same time knowing the difference between overuse, one can still accept the changes technology has brought in individuals life, in a positive way.

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Shail,

Great topic!!! Good question. What about this site? I am addicted to it. I am also in FaceBook. Over here, you don't need to give your name or email address. No one will know who you really are. Lots of Privacy. Love it. But everyday, I check this site 5 to 6 times. I don't many members, but when I see one thread for birthday, I do wish them. If they have any lose, I do console them. Yes, I am spending more time int his site. Is it a waste? sometime. But I enjoy it.

Face Book, I found friends. One of my firend contacted me after 38 years. It was ok. Not too much joy. I put my pictures in that and she felt I look so tied. Didn't want to ask about anything about my family. called and talked for 50 min. I was upset because of her attitude. I checked her pictures. She was not Miss India.

After sometime, I deleted all the pictures. I have decided to ignore negative people and look for friendship in positive people. Too much of anything is not good. I felt bad that a child died because of parents behavior. Sad.
    I lie social net working site. :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup
    It is upto you how to handle them.

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi Shail,

Hope you are doing fine.:) A good topic for discussion. I can only agree with the others here that too much of anything is surely bad.I would ideally like to have a balance and hence am a member only in this site. Now that you mention it, I realize that I am quite contented with my real life social network and the virtual world at present, which, mind you is not too vast a circle but ..... I can handle only this much.:)

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Shail,

You have picked up a very relevant topic here. The virtual world has indeed taken over our regular lives and it is not a nice thought. We are becoming "internet zombies" - true.

What will this social site networking do to our real relationships? Pertinent question for some. But I think there is also an element of "did the chicken come first or the egg" here which cannot be forgotten. It has become a vicious cycle. Let me explain. Here is one example. There may be many others which are not very dissimilar.

A small family of two persons - one of which is a geek. The other person spends his/her time craving for company. They do not have a wide social circle outside. The occasional old friends are too busy with work or ... you guessed it right "networking". You meet them or talk to them sometimes, on those rare occasions when you find them on the phone. You chat with them and ask "How about getting together some time and doing something together? Pat comes the question - why don't you log on? I'm almost always busy on-line. This way you can be in touch with the status of all your friends all the time". Sounds far-fetched? No, it is absolutely real. So what does this person do? If you cannot beat 'em, join 'em.

So you see how vicious the cycle is? And the irony of all this is that everyone from all across the world gets in touch with others who they do not know, but have no time for those around them. Having said which, I have to admit, it certainly beats loneliness.