1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is SIL the key to the hearts of In-Laws???

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Pooja005, Jan 1, 2010.

1. KripaChn

KripaChn New IL'ite

Pooja dear,

The title of your thread is the answer to all your queries. SIL's (more particularly when they are yet to be married) are also the key to your MIL's heart but if MIL is also good then once you enter their hearts thru your SIL , I guess the relationship gets stronger.

When I got married, I had 1 SIL and 1 BIL to be married . My FIL was completely dependant on my DH for all the marriages as FIL was not earning good then. My MIL 's behaviour with me in the initial days of marriage (that too w.r.t to finance) was very bad. Anything and everything would be evaluated with money money...In fact she retained all my jewellery in the locker (i didn't know why??) , she would give one or two (that I ask) for any occassion. I finally realized that she does all this because she always feared if I will take away her son from the family responsibilities. My key to my MIL was to find a good groom for each one of them and get them married. My SIL is staying in Singapore now and is happy and forgets to even call her mother :) who had supported her daughter all the while. My MIL now never shows face or bad mouths me for what so ever reason . She has good control on her words . My DH himself will throw her out if she tries to bad mouth as he feels that I have done my duty as a very good DIL. To my shock she gave me back the locker key as soon as her daughter got married saying that better you have this and maintain it in the future.

Coming to answer your question: Keep impressing your SIL to maximum extent but also without her knowledge avoid her tactfully inorder to get your privacy with your DH to live your life. I guess this will only last for few days until her marriage. You should be ok dear. What if they scrutiny you, you be urself. You are anyway going to prepare what you want. Only thing is they want an update on what you have prepared.Big deal.

For every married women if you scroll back the first 1 to 3 years is the challenge. Any marriage that is unsuccessful will be because of the problems that occurred in these three years wherein either of them the man or woman is not able to adjust / tolerate certain changes/expectations around them (in the form of MIL,SIL,BIL etc).

Finally, one good thing you don't stay under the same roof. Thank God for that.

All the best!

2. Pooja005

Pooja005 New IL'ite

thank you, yes you are right and I agree with that 100%.
    I think if they would give me some space, I would love to have them arround :) But let´s see hopefully things will change in future...

3. Pooja005

Pooja005 New IL'ite

Hey,
    I enjoyed reading your post! And thanks for good advices. Yes I am so happy we are living not under one roof..I mean that would be really the worse case.
    And I do understand that adjusting (and 99% of the cases the girl hase to) is important but still I don´t understand why my DH doesn´t feel the same way as I do - you know like have more time just for us, doing some things just alone.....?

He was living with his parents for 30 years and even now they live just 5 mins from us, but still he just wants to spend time with them, visit them every second day....instead of enjoying at least the first few days/weeks that he is now married and he also has a wife now and be little bit more focused on me now. His parents are doing perfectly fine healthwise...but they are very clingy and my hubby is also very attached to them... that´s not going to change, in fact as they will grow older ´they will become more clingy, so hope hubby will enjoy the maximum with me now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010