1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is salt and sugar a must in semi solids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by lee50, Dec 22, 2009.

1. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi,

I have started my baby on semi solids after five months. I am not using salt or sugar in any of the foods. I checked with the paed he said it should be fine. Is there any problem if I continue doing so? I thought salt and sugar are not good for infants.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Lee,

Even I think the same...I read somewhere that infants don't need salt until they are almost an year old..I might be wrong though!!! And of course the same rule applies for added sugars..

Let's see what experienced moms have to say

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

If you can get your baby to eat without added salt then thats the best thing. Personally after DS was 7-8 months he point-blank refused rice/dal and I had to add salt/pepper and later rasam to it. We didnt do sugar for ages - even now there's hardly any refined sugar in his daily menu, about a spoonful I think (half spoon with milk twice/day) and whatever is there in a biscuit.

V.

4. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi for the confirmation.

5. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

me too ....
    i never added sugar or salt to my kids feed .... till about one year

sometimes i feel may be thats why she is skinny .... due to the lack of sugar .
    being skinny in no way implies that she is unhealthy ..... only that people around , think that she is starving

6. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Rosary Interesting enough, but that's not the case with my DD. I think sugar would just add to the worm trouble and stomach upset.

7. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

lee , that is just my assumption , as it is known that sugar is directly proportional to weight gain.

now talking about worm trouble ...... is it necessary for the kids to be dewormed ........ as i have never ever seen worms in my dd's stools or any problem related to that ... i have never thought about that.

8. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Yes it is necessary to deworm children once in a while, like says atleast once in 6 months. But remember that you have to give the second dose of deworm after 14 days, of the first dose, so that the deworm process is complete.

9. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Lynette,

At this age I would not add any salt or sugar.

I now have started adding a bit of salt to my 11-month old's rice+dal+veggie combo. I have not added sugar and do not plan for as long as I am able to resist.

My 4-year old gets a little bit of strawberry syrup added to his milk since that is his fav. Since he is a very picky eater I have to add it to get him to drink. Until about 2.5 he was fine with plain milk then he started being more picky and then came the strawberry syrup.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

I started adding salt to DD's food after 1.3yrs... Sugar, till now a NO NO. She takes plain milk. If we add junior horlicks to it, we wudnt add sugar.