1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is physical look + money = social status?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by smart_soul, Jan 26, 2010.

1. smart_soul

smart_soul Bronze IL'ite

Per my DH Physical look and money are the ones that give social status to a couple or an individual. If someone is good looking or is rich, people want to associate themselves with them. Is this true? He thinks physical beauty is the FIRST that is noticed by anyone.

We had an argument yesterday regarding this.

My take was it depends upon what kind of a society you are trying to associate with. Even the worlds most beautiful person might feel dumb associating herself with the most educated society and her social status there would be low. And do the not-so-beautiful people have NO social status at all?

Now ladies tell me what your opinions are.

2. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

mother teresa was not rich ,was not great beauty either..she is famous because of her actions..everyone wanted to be with her becuase of charity she did
    similarly i can quote a lot of people so never go by looks or money both are temporary may not come till end

3. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Good Discussion Smart_soul!

I would say , YES, Looks does give a good address to a person in the first sight.But it will not last long if the person is going to be dumb or a pain.

Imagine you are interviewing 4 guys who are equally educated and smart.But one among them is a handsome hunk(who knows to carry himself well too).Whom would you prefer or who would the company prefer.But good look is not everything as it is bound to vanish as age passes.Or it will vanish when you face a terrible accident(any of the kind).

But I would not agree that the not-so-beautiful do not have the social status at all.This is ignorance.Do you think the Ambani's are beautiful?Bush:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl?????Oh..sorry they are rich..How about Gandhi..Abdul Kalam..Kalpana Chawla... ?

The people who go for just looks and want to be associated only with the good looking ones are just ignorant and insecured.That is when men(who go for looks) go for another women after their wives delivery.It is the other way too.Beauty is a comparitive term and one is always better than the other in the world.

If god has given beauty to soemone it is his/her gift.There is nothing that he/she did to get it.But if the person is not a good personality that is his fault.

But I beleive in the statement "Nobody can make you inferior without your consent".If you feel the good looking ones are great and you are not worth, then obviously you will feel insecured.He/she is just another human being on earth as you are and everybody has their space.

Oops..forgot about the richness.Money has become everything in life now.If you do not have money, life becomes miserable these days(I know it should not be the case).With people becoming self centered these days, BIG money is becoming neccessity.

NOTE : I meant beautiful = good looks.Read it as handsome for men and beautiful for women.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. Linea

Linea New IL'ite

I think it is matter of a personal choice than a society's outlook. A person can be so stupid that she/he can fall for looks and later may regret their decision. I think it is a very difficult but right thing to do if we wait and see that if the person we like is well qualified for us by knowing them better.

5. ushae

ushae Silver IL'ite

I would say in today's world, "YES"

In any gathering money matters. No one can deny it. If money is not there even the wife does not like husband.

In Tamil, there is a saying,

" Illaanai illaalum veendal" ( Even wife will desert a man with out money)

We are talking about a common man/woman in the society and not mother Tersa type charaters which are uncommon

6. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

I agree with lavii. Mother Teressa is not uncommon. She was common lady who became uncommon. See Dr. Abdul kalam, a normal man who became most inspiring character for the country. I can show many people who became famous and not so beautiful.

in fact i know many people who are beautiful and vicious . they are proud of their beauty and treat not soo beautiful as dirt .
    And correction please ushae :)

Wife doesn't desert man without money. No wife does it unless she is selfish and has selfish intentions . She deserts a man who is not willing to make money or earn and depends on wife for his wishes/expenses. :)

7. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Looks and money are all things that can easily be lost. I don't think that a person's social standing is attributed to those specifics. Its the company you keep, the knowledge you posses and they way you treat people that sets you apart from the others.

8. rosegirl

rosegirl Bronze IL'ite

Sadly Indian society does revolve around looks and money.
    But mature and sensible people raise above that and see the inner beauty. So its upto us to make that choice. Do we want to be shallow or deep ?

9. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Maybe true according to him.. Your hubby would want to acquaint with Aishwarya rai and Abhishek Bachan because they have both looks and money.. But what if they think the same too ??? :bonkHas your hubby ever thought on those lines .. ??

It all depends on what we are and who we want to acquaint ourselves to. Physical Beauty or looks is the first thing anyone would notice.. So true. WHy ? Because your eyes can see the face ONLY. No one would say, Wow, Aishwarya what an intellegent women ! ;) She is know for her looks.

But then, we cannot keep ourselves amongst beautiful people with no brains for a long time. Eventually, we run out of intellegence too. So, rather have a bit of everything. No one in this world is ugly. Really. It only differs as WOW, Soo Good Looking to Average Lookng / Simple looking. Both doesnt hurt ! :)

If only one starts to " define " beauty, then there is a word called ugly. Who are we afterall to look down upon anyone as ugly. Someone might think so of us too.

tuliplady likes this.
  10. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

Woww.. !!! rightly said. beauty has no definition . Not everyone likes Aishwarya Rai :) . I never look at beauty or face of person even when i see him/her the first time. I try to think what type of person is he/she is ? I even don't care how they look. Of course i look if they are presentable. ( neat,tidy,dressed according to occasion,wear something that suits them....even if they dpn't wear i don't come to a conclusion that the are ugly).

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010