1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Perception Reality?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Ira,

I hadn't known anything either until I began inquiring. I am super excited that I have a company to exchange notes. It is amazing to know how many things you explore and your enthusiasm, excitement, euphoria about life is something I need to inculcate. I wish I could get it by shaking hands with you.

I still stand my ground as this is your deep understanding of what I said, as you have journeyed farther away from where I am now. Had you not explained in the notes about some of them, I would have lost your thoughts in transit.

I understood the first two and related quickly with them. Thought of inquiring, are there other forms of being-for-itself to explore reality if consciousness is one of them we identify, never occurred to me. You are far ahead of me.

I relied a lot on those forms and interpretations to come with this snippet. I felt relieved to hear that it is in a potted and digestible form. Now I understand why you said you hate pressing the like button. It feels really good to see it in this form with substance.

I like that approach. If perception is inevitable for the human beings, may be perfecting the perception would lead to reality. Unknown has to be known through Known phenomena. There has to be more than one way to skin the cat.

It is comforting to hear that from someone who is journeying into that inquiry. Thank you for sharing Hermeneutic Cycle.

Interpretive perception itself is an inquiry process through discrimination as long as it is receptive to change. Perfecting perception is possible through the right attitude, quality of life, freeing up the conditioned mind, open to changing the belief system, etc.

We need to remember @kaniths video of women scientists organizing the mission to Mars. Initially, the spacecraft orbited the planet earth before it made the final thrust to change the orbit to commence the journey to Mars. May be interpretive perception will do the same towards reality.

I truly enjoyed your comprehensive response.

Viswa

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

If you promise to take me around Disneyland, I can land at your place next weekend to shake hands with you.

That salvo of intellectual-sounding headlines was not to impress or overtake your homespun and elegant dissemination of the same thoughts, without pretentious markup, but was only to confer that your inquiry is not unnatural or abstruse as it has been widely studied and recorded. Your inquiry along the same lines demonstrated that human thought converges across time and culture. You, I, public intellectuals, Eskimos and Cretans raised the same doubts — nature of reality and how to pursue it, though none harnessed the absolute truth but progressed into self-growth. Similarly, you and I don't envisage to resolve the ontological debate but leverage such inquiry in our self-actualization.

Prefer verbal interactions to courteous gestures as I have too much to convey (on everything) that cannot be encapsulated in a presumptive click.

I am quite a slapstick newbie who plunged into ludic philosophy quite late in the game. Since then, enjoyed reading the philosophical waves of inquiry since medieval times. I remarked once that you and I are two sides of the same coin in that we amuse ourselves in our penchant to meditate on randomness in the universe. The inquiry may be characteristic of our wantonness to learn by adaptation and not by strangling the certitude. We simply take on what ever comes our way ...and attend to it with curiosity more than reverence. We philosophize as reflection more than instruction. So, I do get you when you excite in your discovery and learning in your incessant and auto-didactic track. I am no different! Remember, the coin.

Conjecture : I have a feeling that our striking and cultivated traits are the upshot of such winding inquiry. Yours — overlook hostile interactions from the past. Mine — savage resilience. Imagine if we didn't philosophize about our vulnerabilities and vanities, and compared our notes on intersubjectivity, would we have acquired that mental constitution in life?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

I wanted to include this in my response yesterday but could not locate the exact stanzas. In fact, I happened to read your snippet right after my Gita class and I am assuming you are trying to tell what the gist of these two stanzas from the Gita are trying to say.

Ch 3, Shloka 34 says - It is natural for each organ to feel attraction or aversion in respect of objects pertaining to each sense. Do not come under their sway, for they are enemies (of all spiritual aspirants)

And then goes on to say in the same chapter Shloka 42 - The senses are great, they say. Superior to the senses is mind (manas), and superior even to the mind is intellect (buddhi). What is superior even to the intellect is He, the Atman!

And here we are perceiving at the level of senses and maybe taking it to the level of mind. To reach the state you mention here below with the mind even is a lot of work - nothing that cannot be done in several lifetimes :biggrin: and then Atman after several more!

And I have often heard people say if we reach that level of Atman, are we dead or alive (as we want to see) in the human sense!

PS: I feel again all this makes a lot more sense yet again a lot less sense at the same time! Perceptions I tell you!
    PPS: My study of Gita is purely from Sanskrit learning perspective, just a coincidence yesterday that I finish these two sholakas and your snippet comes up and I took myself by surprise that I had actually paid attention to the meaning - when I could relate your snippet to the shlokas!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  4. Viswamitra

Piece of cake! I am ready to give the world for you and are you just asking just for Disneyland? After seeing you on top of the space shuttle on a mission to Mars, you set very high expectations in my mind.

All traditional teachings are guiding us towards such inquiry. We are experiencing such inquiries are helping us for self-actualization. If the objective is to resolve, we both need to migrate to Tibet and learn some techniques to invoke consciousness and shed this frame.

Instructions lead us down the path of faith with no conviction whereas inquiry leads us towards enhanced discovery and inclination to dig more into details. The journey itself is sweetened than the destination.

Viswa

5. Viswamitra

Dear Sabitha,

Pretty much I was saying it in my own language what was said for thousands of years. But conceptualizing and experiencing that journey are very different. It makes the different between reading about Amazon forest Vs actually in it.

Senses and Mind are like two keys to the combination lock called consciousness inside which bliss is stored. How they are being used decides whether there is red-carpet to get in or thrown out in the wild. Discipline, moderation, purification, intellectual discrimination, etc. are needed to open the combination lock to access the bliss.

Viswa