1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

is overweight a problem in conceiving?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by basum, May 29, 2012.

1. basum

basum New IL'ite

Hi,

My age is 33 years and we are trying for baby since last two years,i am a bit overweight at 75 kg...does my weight matter?? do i need to decrease? and how much is that a hindrance??..kindy guide me on this and i am also open and looking for treatment options and good clinics...kindly provide your inputs.

2. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Kindly reduce the weight. It helps.
    Also check for PCOS.
    And if it is, then take treatment

3. mikeleena

mikeleena New IL'ite

No i don't think weight matters to be pregnant have you taken any medicine to stop pregnancy previously or go to some good gynecologist who will tell you the reason of miscarriage or problem in conceiving. in my opinion all doctor say ladies to put weight if they want to get pregnant.

4. resmij

resmij Silver IL'ite

hi
    you need to consult doctors advice. when your wt increases hormons change, and this imbalance of hormon may be a reason for you from not conceiving. wt matters when you are trying to get conceive. both you and your husband has to visit the doctor. what if he may have some problem?, speak to your husband to come along with you ,
    and all the best.
    regards
    resmij

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Dear Basum,
    Weight does play a main part while trying to conceive...it works for few people who are on the higher side but doesnt for many....the best is to keep your weight under control,why take risk...
    there are people whom i know are in TTC and they have been suggested to reduce their weight by their doctors as the first thing...my very own co-sis who had 2 miscarriages a year back and is in TTC now has been advised by her doctor to bring down her weight....

and one more thing is check your BMI level...if your weight is correct wrt to your height,falls in the BMI range,then you need not reduce your weight...
    check that out first and mainly consult your doctor and take help..
    HE/SHE is the person who knows well about your body

All the best!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. mehras

mehras New IL'ite

Being overweight causes variety of problems not only from general health point of view but also from conceiving point of view and i think it would be ideal in your case to loose some weight before taking the next step. You should consult a doctor first ,consult and follow a strict diet chart that will help you loose weight,exercise daily and before rushing for any infertilty treatment ,get yourself diagnosed,it is necessary that you have correct BMI(body mass index) at this juncture and after all that if you then plan to take up treatment then i would suggest BournHall clinic they are pioneers in IVF and recently opened up centers in india.Bourn Hall is a U.K. based infertility clinic that specializes in IVF,IUI,treatments and also does sperm donation,Egg/and embryo freezing.I came to know thru its website that the world's first test tube baby was born as a result of IVF treatment from Bourhall....they had a branch in kochi and now came up with the other one in Gurgaon.

7. arokini

arokini Senior IL'ite

Dear,
    Please reduce weight and consult a doctor immediately. If yours is a sudden increase in weight, then it may be a hormonal imbalance(thyroid problems cause over weight). If you weight is constant, then reduce weight so that you wont land yuor self in PCOS. I have thyroid problems and doctors suggested me to not to increase weight as it will lead to PCOS and it will be harmful to get pregnant.

8. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Hi basum,

Consult a good gynaec for TTC. As you have said, you are bit on higher side, kindly check your BMI and try to shed kgs if necessary as other ilites have suggested.

Even i was overweight and had PCOS. I lost around 8 KGs and conceived in the next cylce with medications.

I had consulted Dr. Deepa Gupta of tirupathi medical centre and nurnsing home which is at Shivalik, south delhi for conception. She gave me tablets to assist ovulation.

Baby dust dear!!

Cheers
    Sweetlife

9. bunchofroses

bunchofroses Bronze IL'ite

It is very important to loose weight. I am a living example to vouch that.Please loose weight and start your treatment too

10. sashacurios

sashacurios Silver IL'ite

Hi... frankly being a lil overweight(BMI 25-27) alone wont effect TTC... unless you are obese(BMI above 30)... but its said so because the weight gain in women might be due to hormone imbalance,PCOS etc... especially if the weight gain is recent... weight alone will not create a hindrance in conception unless followed by a health condition... i.e if there's exists such a condition reducing weight makes a huge difference... definitely consult a doc to determine the causes since its been 2 years... and try to reduce your weight by eating healthy and exercising! its always important to hav a healthy lifestyle when it comes to ttc... but never take up a sudden hard core diet in order to reduce the pound... exercising is the best option with a healthy food style...
    If you have irregular periods its your hint that there's something wrong!

these are the things my doc told me regarding weight gain and ttc :)