1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is NJ really a very bad place for Indians?

Discussion in 'Indians in New Jersey' started by Kimaya, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Hi friends

Me and DH always talk about where we want to finally settle down and I always think of the NJ/NY area. I think we would have enough Indian community and also ample job oppurtunities.

But after reading some of the posts I have gotten scared about NJ. I have been there once but would want to know. Is it really bad ie people leaving carts on the street, throwing litter, talking loudly in regional languages and hurting animals and other such things.

I definitely would not want my family to live in such a community. Are some areas better than the other? I heard the Princeton area is better.

Please share your honest thoughts. It would be helpful for our decision.

Also, can you suggest best place for Indians to settle down where we can have our community, good schools and decent people.

Thanks

Kimaya

2. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

North Carolina? But isnt that a holiday destination? Are there enough companies and what about schools?

3. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

I have lived here ever since I came to USA. I love NJ for lots of reasons. But it depends what you are looking out for !! Lots of Indians, indian art & dance , good indian groceries, and nice job opportunities. I think you can chk out plainsborough-edison-princeton belt. I think its worth settling. !! goodluck

4. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Vmariam, is there any reason you feel like this about NJ. Did some specific incidents happen or was it just the general environment in terms of pollution, expensive homes and few bad people that have made your opinion so strong.

5. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Do you know anything about Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver or Atlanta? I ask based on my and Dh's offices.

6. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Yes, we do plan to buy a property to settle down. We would need atleast a 4 bedroom with 2 bathrooms. 2 kids, 6 and 4. Yes, my DH travels but that doesn't matter. We plan to live here.

I do want some Indian community so they can join language classes/participate in Indian cultural events.

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

K;
    This is an un-organised post so pls. bear :))

It is all depend on what you are looking for. I moved to edison three months back; and from the three month experience I would say that it is just like being in a city in India (and I wouldn't say being in a metro in India) :))

One thing I was surprised to find in Edison is that the second generation Indians settled here (not all ofcourse); live the same way as the first generation Indians are. I mean in other places I have found; second generation Indians being much "sophisticated" and "westernised". Maybe it is because of too much Indianisation. When you live with your grandparnts; uncles and aunts in a stone throw distance from each other's house; then I guess there is not much "space" to grow.

I have a friend who has all her relatives in US; which includes the distant uncles and aunts; and their family get-together has 100 family members just in NJ area!!!!

Ahhh.. I am straying away from the subject; just wanted to let you know how dense the Indian population is:))

As Mariam said it all depends upon what your needs are and what you expect. If you want a proper American life; then definetely edison is not a place to be.

But if you want a wide variety of "xclusive" Indian friends; food; groceries; festival celeberation and other stuff then edison is the place. I was surprised that I got my eyebrows threaded for $2 here; where as I used to pay $7 before moving here :))) Whn a friend of mine delivered here; she didn't bring anyone from India. Got a lady for massage/baby care/cooking/laundary etc for $300 a month. A lady near our condo; supplies 5 Rotis; Dal; 3 variety subzi and rice for $10. So; I hope you get the picture; how things work in edison :))))

There are towns within NJ which are very good; like south bruinswick (good school district); Cranberry; princeton areas; which are great areas. You can check citydata forum to get more ideas on the crimerates; ethinic diversity; median income and cost of house etc. It will give you a better insight.

About "dog incident" Mariam mentioned in the other thread. I understood that you were/are worried about it. I haven't seen any kids(Indian/non-indian) hitting the animals...so far in my years in US. I have a 2 year old; so much in love with dogs and cats from her first year. Every time a dog passes; she stops to pat it and hug it. Most of our evening walks have me asking permission from the owners whether my daughter could pet their "pets". So I do hope and wish that the cruel incident Mariam wittnessed be a stray incident and not a recurring one... That she can clear.

Well; all said I will have to make honourary mention of certain acts that I have "witnessed" only in edison; "line jumping" whether you are in the bill- counter of shoprite or movie-city; "reserving 5 seats by keeping purses and hanky" for the two friends who turn up 30 minutes later...why the heck should one reserve 5 seats for two friends; I still cannot understand ??????

If you ask me whether I like stayin in this place; I would say that I like it. But it has got less to do with the place and more to do with the couple of good friends I have here. I am a little more adaptable person; I somehow get adjusted wherever I am put; even you put me in Mojave desert; with food provisons and library ; I am a happy soul:))

Come back to us if you want any more info. I would be happy to help you out. It would be nice if other Iltes would pitch in. There a lot of Iltes who are staying in NJ after coming from other states and many who have moved from NJ to other states. One thing I have heard from many such people; NJ (particularly edison) doesn't feel like a part of US :))) and I have a few friends; who have moved from west coast;central US;Maine etc who loved the NJ life so much that have brought or searching for house in princeton/ bruinswick areas. Personally I will buy an vineyard and settle in Napa valley; one of th few dreams that will remain a dream :))

All the best and again sorry for the un-organised post; I just penned down whatever came to my mind
    -Nitha

3 people like this.
  8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

[​IMG] hey Nitha....cool...I too love living in NJ for the same reasons. so how ru BTW?

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Guys,

Can we stop this generalization? How can one conclude what is going to happen in the next 20 years. A very high crime rated town can be one of the best places in a couple of years and vice versa. They are lot of examples I can give you for that. There are many upcoming townships, growing communities and what not.

See what YOU and your family need and make the decision.

PS. This is my 12th year in this country and I can say I have pretty much gone to most of "the" places.

10. Kimaya

Kimaya Senior IL'ite

Thanks, Nitha. I love your post, so detailed. I have few cities where we could move and finally settle down based on where our companies have offices. These cities are New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Denver.

What I need is:

- Friendly community, I want to make atleast 2-3 good decent family friends in the place where we settle down
    - Cosmopolitan, my DH has lived in Mumbai for 23 years and I also belong to Delhi so having the cosmopolitan environment is a must for us. Having said that we are very tolerant towards people.
    - I want my children to be bought up in a creative, happy, independent, friendly environment.
    - I hate some smaller cities in America which are too lonely.
    - Good schools, day care options
    - Of course, safe place
    - We plan to buy a house eventually. A 4 bed, 2bath house. In terms of budget I don't want the cheapest possible but 400,000 would be the higher side of my budget. More importantly, if the place as everything else then I will wait, save more and then buy a house. Having a nice community is more important for me than the price of housing. We could live in a smaller home if we have the right neighbours and a good community.

We have lived in US for quiet a long time and I'm tired of renting, we would want to buy and find the home where our kids can grow up.