1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is my baby getting enough milk ????

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by brindhaaa, Apr 8, 2009.

1. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends

My son is 5 mths old.Iam giving both formula and BF.Three days before he has completely stopped my BF Suddenly in day time and he was drinking formula fully. I pumped my milk and gave throu bottle since i feared his formula intake was more .Now by gods grace since yesterday he has started taking my feed in day time also.

My experience by using Breast pump in the last 3 days - I could see how much milk my baby drinks .

My PEd has adviced me to give milk every 31/2- 4 hrs .If i give formula feed for sure i know that he will not be hungry for 4 hrs ,but if i give BM, i always have the doubt whether he is getting enough.When i was using breast pump iam satisifed with the qty and the time gap for each feed.

For Pumping it took 1/2 hr and same was the case when my son sucks. How do i know whether my son gets the same qty of milk when i pump and when he takes the feed directly from me ?? If i give BM and when he cries within 31/2 to 4 hrs i always feel that he cries for hunger .My ped says that iam overfeeding him , when i do so.I dont know whether iam confusing myself tooooo much bonk.Pls helppp

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Brindha - One simple fact - babies get more when nursing directly from the breast so he is definitely getting atleast as much as you are pumping and most likely more. A 5 mnth old wont be able to go more than 3-4 hrs without feeding ( in the daytime) so crying after 4 hrs is alright; he probably is hungry and thats normal. Formula takes longer to digest than BM so babies often seem to be able to go without feeding longer on formula - doesnt mean BM is inadequate at all.
    Finally - the only real way to know if BM is adequate is to look at the growth chart - adequate weight gain is the best indicator of sufficient milk. Relax and try not to worry so much....

Vanathi.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  3. brindhaaa

brindhaaa Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vanathi

Thanks for ur reply.Yes i do agree but the fact tht he sleeps soon while he sucks and he finishes in one gulp when bottle fed makes me worry whether he took adequate. when Bf he cries within 3 hrs sometimes makes me think is is he cries due to hunger or anything else ..

I have a question.Exclusivey breast fed ,in what intervals can we feed for a 5 mths old baby..Though i could understand it depends on baby, iam asking on an average..

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Every 3-4 hrs on average (my son did have times when he demanded every 2 hrs though).

V.