1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Motherhood dying??

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Sowmya2709, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Today’s News in a local Newspaper made me to think so.. :coffeeThere was a similar news yesterday too.. Recent times, seeing a lot of News about Parents ill treating their kids.. Are we still living in India, which is said to have lots of cultural and family values?!?

Lemme brief the News which I came across in News Paper today.. Selvi is a 13yr Old girl from a small town in South TamilNadu and has a elder brother. This girl had speech problem, she had stammering and can’t talk properly. Rajeswari,Selvi’s Mother hated her b’coz of this problem. Seems like this girl was undergoing lots of torture from her mother in the form of continuous scolding and beating. Sometimes her mother had even said her son is enough for her and doesn’t want this girl.

Rajeswari’s anger and hatred kept on growing along with Selvi. So her father decided to leave this girl in her school hostel thinking that she can be in peace atleast there. But being a kid, Selvi wanted to live with her parents.. So, two days back this girl left hostel without anybody’s notice and had come home at night.. Her Mother had scolded her for coming home and asked her to go back to hostel. Selvi refused to go and had insisted that she won’t leave them and stay in hostel.

This conversation of going to hostel had continued between the mother and daughter next morning too.. In Anger, her mother had poured kerosene on this little girl and scolded her if she refuses to go she will set fire. Selvi didn’t understand the cruel mind of her mother and her threat and refused to go.. Before she can escape and run away, her mother set fire on her. Hearing her cry, her father and neighbors ran in and took her to hospital.

Now, the kid is under treatment with severe injuries.. Her mother is arrested ..

Have read and heard about many mothers taking care of their children with many complicated disorders and health issues with love and care.. But in the same country, we are coming across mothers like this too.. To show love and care to a kid, its not necessary to be a mother being a human is enough..

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sowmya,

This is very heartbreaking. The children learn what is love from their mother. They look up to their parents for love and support. How can a mother be so cruel? Selvi's mother telling her that it is enough if she has only the son especially when she has speech problem, is only confirming the hate that families have for girl children. But I have to admit, everyday, we notice so many mothers struggling in their entire life to take care of children who are autistic, physically challenged, mentally challenged and so on. Among them, Rajeswari is a misfit and deserves to be punished for her action.
    A child has every right to be with the parents.

Visw

3. InnerBliss

InnerBliss Gold IL'ite

This is something very different than what I know about motherhood. Motherhood is the instinct quality that is not only seen in the human but also in the animal world.

I suspect if the lady was really her mother! I am very sad and shocked to know such news :(

4. SM11870

SM11870 Silver IL'ite

Motherhood is the best blessing that God has bestowed on woman and by misbehaving and treating kids mercilessly a mother is not only earning a bad name for herself but also humiliating this blessing.I strongly oppose that such type of lady should not be called as mother.

Shruti

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Bad apples are everywhere..But I somehow feel that the percentage of bad fathers is slightly more than that of bad mothers. Looking at the number of innocent babies being killed in the womb, mostly beause of their gender, or sometimes because they are unwanted....still I will not say that humanity is dying simply because there will be bad people everywhere.

6. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Shocking news.. very upsetting.. but i do not think its something that is new.. It starts from every home

I am a working mom, ( leaving my job is kind of risking my family's welfare).

I do turn all my tension and all stress out on my kid.. as i do not have an option to vent out every where.. but .. it normally happens rarely..

The lack of a healthy and harmonius family environment causes the mental state of a lady do disintegrate.. In most of the houses.. its often termed to have brought out the true colors of a woman.

Its not the dying of motherhood. Its one of the impact of the woman's mental health being neglected in families..

There is more plight on getting an extra income, planning for economical status uplift of the family, leading a better standard of living.. but less is the importance on having a healthy family environment and accepting people with their plus and minus.

Most of the DILs who are self confident are being termed as people with a big attitude and there is always a scale evaluating a woman as a good / bad mom with / without work. All the remarks and evaluatory and judgemental talks about her happening around, makes a lady stressed out. With no one to listen to their wishes and needs , they get stressed out..

I feel that i would go mad at times,.. i yell out at ppl .. then every one goes out of my sight.. i have peace and solitude for the nest 2 hrs.. and my mood gets better..

Hence i would say that with more demands and more expectations according to the new age lifestyle the mental health of many women get affected and its not being realised.

The Rat race behind money should stop somewhere and making of a new healthy society is the urgent need for the hour.

7. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

I can never ever imagine a mother doing such a heinous and cruel act to her own child, ofcourse i have read similar incidents........... It is truly heartening to read such incidents,how can a mother who is considered an angel on earth dare to do such a thing?
    A mother is one who shows undying and selfless love not only to her child but to others also.......... As a child is born so is a mother, however a child is born its always precious and dear to a mother.