Is Money The Only Validation Of Living Life Usefully?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Apr 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much dear..you are a rockstar!

One thing I need to break is..

I feel like am justifying my life a lot to people..they just don’t seem to understand people can be useful and productive being at home also.Money is not the criteria.

It is easy for people working outside to not justify what they do all day..but tough for homemakers.

that could also be a root cause..

Thyagarajan and hrastro like this.
  2. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Is it? Discuss in 500 to 600 words.... would be an essay question in psych/human behavior class.
    There were Korean and Japanese TV-drama mini-series about how a Housewife is also a crime fighter in her neighbourhood.

Caution, Hazardous Wife (2017)
    Isayama Nami, in order to start over her life and to find happiness, married the man she fell in love with at first sight during a blind date and moved to a quiet high-end residential area. Nami isn't really good with domestic chores in general, including cooking or cleaning, but she has a very strong sense of justice and it would be very ill-advised to make her angry. ... By making friends with other housewives, who she occasionally saves from various predicaments, including serious run-ins with members of organized crime.

Here is link to one episode:
    Watch Okusama wa, Toriatsukai Chuui (Caution, Hazardous Wife) Episode 5 Online With English sub,FullHD | Dramacool

Thyagarajan and hrastro like this.
  3. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

A little late but....
    Honest opinion here-
    If money is not a priority, stepping into workforce should not be a problem.

If money will become a problem (in future) as in how much you earn, getting the education/certification will become a must.

If you want to continue staying at home taking care of family, I personally feel it is not a bad idea to plan on what you want to do when your child is even more independent.

Looking at what you have, this is what you should do....

Why don't you offer some free yoga classes at your local temple or even to friends? I am one of those certified RYT 200 teachers who spent money to earn her certification. But for the life of me, cannot charge a single person even if they offered to pay. I have been offering free yoga classes for 10 years now, more so since the pandemic struck.

You can also form a free dance group and engage with other women who maybe in your position and who could use some thing different.

Volunteer for real for a big sister big brother kind of organization, mentor a child or a group of chidren or some other initiative close to your heart and dedicate sometime every week on that. This has to be outside of your child's school.

All of the activities should be done at a professional level, as in taken as a job. Sharing what you have with the world will make you feel better about yourself. I prefer not getting personal with anyone in that journey. At least that is the way I try to keep life simpler.

Reading you all these years, i feel while you personally do not equate job with money, you may be thinking all other women do all that you do and work as well Hence the question of value add I think - whether it is money or something else is the question.

Having a structure outside of family life that is your own but involves others and not just your family will make you feel better about everything.

While others may put you down for doing free/volunteer stuff, the satisfaction you get will more than offset what they speak and you will be better off for it. The truth is doing all that is not going to be easy.

This will also open you up to possibilities- of working or not, getting a certification or not, or simply continuing doing these activities or add more to the list.

You have to try for a year atleast though - you will run into problems during that time, some frustrations, some joyous moments too. Perhaps you will have a better picture at the end of the year.

You have a husband who is supportive, a child who will grow fabulously independent, good talents and contentment to add. You are stuck in a comfort zone. Unless you take a step, you cannot step out of this zone.

We all have stories and how we narrate them to the world and to ourselves is upto us.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That was a good one to watch. A different perspective indeed. He says that chasing money is needed to find one's passion. He presents a convincing case. The "chasing money" approach provides structure to the passion hunt process. The essence of chasing money is to keep trying different things which is what people need to do till they find their passion.

I checked out couple of his other videos. Speaks well though slightly shorter videos would be nice.

5. Hopikrishnan

Hopikrishnan Platinum IL'ite

Yes... that is a good video; even half way through one could see the rationale, and he himself seems to know that when he begins with the request to watch the full video.

For the average person, there is no passion to find. Or... it is a fuzzy composite with the core desires of safe/healthy life & secure future. In America we also use the word "cruise" as well as chase: this cruising happens (as well as justified) when people had caught up to what is referred to as the "f--k you money", a level of wealth that makes a person financially independent for now and the future, and no need to chase anymore. Therefore they cruise. And they may not have found their passion yet, even on cruise-control. Life long "what is the point of it all? " question would persist. Musing that while sitting on a pile of money is more comfortable than having to stop that nonsense to go and earn lunch, or do laundry.

anika987 and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @anika987

talking of money, I think of my photography teacher. I must have shared this story elsewhere too. He had started my class with "Honey, passion and money are two different things". He went on to tell that he had to leave home as an early teen way back in the 1950s, hitchhiking, finding jobs till he came upon this minimum paying but a kind of permanent job with a complany. He stayed there, was restless figured out he could make more money if put up a coffe selling machine (whatever version back then was) for a couple of hours when people went in and out of their shifts. So he was up every morning selling coffee between 5 and 8 every single day of the week. He made enough money that he retired at 50 just as he was discovering that he loved photography. Guess what, since then till now into his late 80s he continues to be one of the better phtographers of our region, not only his photo selling well but he continues to earn by offering classes at a reasonable price. He is a highschool drop out, has learnt Adobe photoshop when he turned 80 and continues to thrive.

It may sound like one off of a case but we donot know many stories. We go by what we think is normal and the norm keeps changing. We have to learn to get in touch with ourselves so that we understand how we want to be defined and stay rooted in that. You can change too but staying rooted in that and trusting that inner learning being!

I absolutely love this -

[​IMG]

There! Spoken it all. Off to start a new day :) Hope you find what you are seeking.

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am very artistic and I love colors and patterns always..I won awards in my ex company for being super good at PowerPoint presentations..

Am now learning graphic designing,PowerPoint presentations something I was very good at when I was working..am actually loving it.

don’t know if I will monetize but education will never go waste!:) Am enjoying this process as a hobby as of now..keeps me occupied and it is very productive.Makes me feel happy to learn something I love.

Maybe I work or maybe I won’t
    But One never knows what future beholds!

Also...have decided will only do or not do something when I personally feel ready and not due to peer pressure.

Guys..my internal conflicts are happening coz my psychologist is trying to help me introspection and she said it was common to feel the mood swings before we come to a decision about ourselves.

Maybe I freaked out a couple of days before and today am very calm.

So bear with me..am getting better at handling myself:)

Thanks for all the help guys! You were all kind and wonderful!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
    Induslady and hrastro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.