1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

is money everything in life???

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by goodartist, Feb 12, 2010.

1. lakvishy

lakvishy Senior IL'ite

Hi goodartist,

It's really good that you are in complete love with your art just as a person is completely in love with herself or her children.

Now that apart, I think, as you also agree, your husband has been very kind enough till now, when you left your responsibilities towards your family and drowned yourself in your ART. Those times, it was your husband who would do your DUTIES.

That way, 10 yrs. of your married life has passed !

Am sure that you would have a houseful (overflowing) of paintings, with no place to store any other things.

Agreed, according to you, the art is your life, which you do not want to sell.

Now from your husband's angle,

1. When you are in your arty spells, you husband has to do DOUBLE / TRIPLE DUTY, one his office, second everyone's food and third your children's requirement.

2. In return of all this, in which way is your husband or house benefitting ? (I know, your next querry, do you always have to see benefit in everything, ans. Ok if there is no benefit, at least it should become a hurdle in other's way.) In fact, they are left to fend for themselves !

If you are agreeable to selling :

1. Your house will get the required space.
    2. Your folks could atleast palacate themselves, that your time away from them is productive !

You have tired your husband. Also take care of him. No, he is not behind MONEY ! Do not even think negative things about them.

If you do not want to sell, then it's ok, atleast, when you come to the throes the arty moods, then just for second give a thought, if you could complete it before your family comes home. If yes, then only go ahead with it !

Please give a thought of your FAMILY, before your ART !

All the best, for understanding your priorities !

2. ajain35

ajain35 Senior IL'ite

I can only say that I agree with your teacher. It is not easy for everyone to understand the passion you feel about something. And it is indeed difficult if the spouse does not support interests of his/her spouse. I do not know if your husband will ever understand but you have to be patient and make him understand what it means. Maybe if you can give an example to make him understand... like most of us go to temple to worship an idol. Now if a person from another country comes and asks to buy idol it wouldn't it hurt sentiments of many people even if the money offered is huge. So your work is like worship and you do not want to sell it.

Maybe write a mail to your husband with all the issues your are seeing. Tell him that when get lost you forget everything. Next time even if starts to grumble, the frustration would wither away quickly.

I think most importantly you need to convey in right words what you feel. For this you should know your husband well enough and understand what works and what doesn't with him. Maybe you will succeed and maybe not but it is not bad too try.
    A small question. Did your husband knew before marriage that you have such a huge passion for arts?

Try to balance out your life between work, family and interests. You do not have to be perfect in everything. Let your husband grumble a little. Do not take away his right to feel a little frustrated. Acknowledge that frustration. Tell him that you understand his point of view but you are helpless. Request/beg him to give you freedom to pursue your passion without interference.

You will do fine. Don't worry and try to be more patient and everything will work out over time.

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Hi goodartist,

I am a mother of two and myself and my husband need to spend lot of time for kids homework, groceries, food and cleaning and other activities + both of your work.
    You have been telling your husband won't bother about if you work or not.
    In that case,take a job which gives you happy which is art and devote your time to family and kids when you are at home.That way your husband won't be frustated.
    Eventually when kids gets older you may get more time and then you can concentrate on getting more income and also you will get time for yourself to concentrate on your artwork.

4. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

This is the part I never understand about the typical line of reasoning regarding the wife's role, and the husband's role. The working woman is expected to do "double/triple duty" EVERY DAY (her "office", everyone's food, and the children's requirement), but if a man is ever called upon to do it, it becomes something the wife should be ashamed of. What makes women the chosen ones that they are expected to do it all, while all a man is expected to do is work his job, then come home and put his feet up? Will someone please explain it to me? I'm quite confused.

And in case my point was missed, I'm saying Goodartist should be free to have some time to indulge in her passion/hobby, independent of her household duties, since she is already doing this "double/triple duty" most of the time anyway. After all, women are human beings too, with their own needs. Just because they're wife and mothers doesn't mean their entire being is subsumed into the family, and they're meant to become domestic automatons.

Sigh.

5. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Men are human beings too. Just because they are husbands and fathers it does not mean that they are the proverbial bull that works the fields all the time.

Most women tend to side with feminist or chauvinistic rhetoric depending on their convenience. They want guys that will earn well and support their hobbies and at the same time expect him to work his butt off to provide for his family. What if Op's husband decides that he wants to pursue music but not make money off it. Just make people happy with his music. Would you guys side with the guy? What if he were to decide that she should take care of the mortgage while he pursues his music.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  6. goodartist

goodartist New IL'ite

Thanks to all for the continuous support. I was upset last whole week and finally posted here. I have read each and every response several times and the only thing that kept jumping out each time I read a post was that I needed to have clear communication with my dh.

Couple of days back, I asked him if we could talk. We put kids to bed and then sat down to talk. It was kind of funny because we are talking as though it was our first or second year of marriage. All these years the demands of married life were not much since kids were very young...no school, no schedule for anything.
    DH clearly said he needs to have a proper routine set up to be peaceful.
    I told him I feel really montonous and cannot work in such time frames and routines. I am staying home now for couple of months. Once kids summer vacation starts we will go for a visit to India then after we return I have to go back to work. The day gets hectic and I understand a routine is needed but sometimes I need that extra space and time to throw everything aside and get to my hobby/my art.

Dh literally wrote down every detail. I expressed my unhappiness when he grumbles if I get take-out food which sets my mood off, as though I am wasting money. I told him each and every penny need not be pinched like that. I was surprised he was in fact listening. May be he thought it was time too, to have some serious talk. Now, we have come to an agreement.

We will hire maid service once a month (dh thinks twice is expensive), for the 2nd time round of cleaning in a month it will be the two weeks after maid , he will do the garage, kids bedrooms and bathrooms while I do the kitchen, our bedroom and bathroom.
    I will do the laundary for the entire family. He will do the ironing. I am incharge of our closet while he takes care of kids closet.
    We will eat out every Friday both lunch and dinner. That actually helps me a lot since I want to be relaxed on Fridays.

Someother things also we worked out like he will pitch in more helping me with meals than gluing to the TV in the bedroom or his laptop. And we will eat as a family at dinner instead of each one eating at our own sweet time. He will help me after dinner and with things for next day for kids.

After reading all your posts here about my work going on sale, and how all of you said I needed to consider more from the point of view of my husband I thought over it seriously. I told dh I will try to get few things out but I need some time. He is OK with it. So many years I have never thought about it but now will give try it for the sake of keeping family happy. Though it will pain me to some extent but I think I need to set my mind to think in a positive way, to see things from a different angle.
    Not yet acted on this, will give it a try! I told dh I need to talk to my teacher/my mentor about my emotions regarding the sale of my work, to vent my feelings. He threw one sarcastic remark but I insisted and he very reluctantly agreed. I find my mentor the only person whom I can actually have a heart to heart talk regarding this issue....I know it may sound weird but I don't know why? This will happen only when I go to India in the summer. For me he is the only one who understands me and my crazy emotions. I am thankful to dh for allowing me on this. I understand his annoyance whenever I talk about my teacher.

Srama: I would be glad to share my work with Ilites. Once I am ready I will surely intimate ILites first about my art being uploaded. Thanks for all your compliments

Beeamma: Yes, definately it is due to the heavy mortagage my husband is reacting like this. He told me when we had that talk yesterday. He said "look , we have kids, this house and our future. I know you are also working hard but when we can secure more why not?? I don't want to hurt you but take your time and think over it".
    DH is very practical nut. I find his apprehensions quite baselses........but thats my thought process!! We are two opposites when it comes to finances.

Lakvishy: I understand your sentiments of putting family before art. But I am sorry I cannot put anything before my art. But then it is only ME.
    I can take whatever to keep my passion alive. And that is why even after some rude remarks from dh, which were a result of his frustration as I completely neglected housekeeping in the recent months as I was working on a piece of art that my Guru/teacher in India was planning on. I did not have much time and had to put in all my effort. This original post of mine was also to get opinions/advise from a 3rd person. And I am glad I did and got some valuable suggestions.

ajain: I spoke to dh couple of days back and as I have put it above we are trying to work around things. I know he loves me like anything and wants me to be happy. He is a person who feels secured when everything is organised and orderly. I expressed my unhappiness too about him being overly meticulous. We have kind of brought our issues to the table and trying to work on it. I think I need to also mellow down a little.....only for him.It is funny we are talking all this after so many years of marriage.
    Yes, my husband knew about my passion before marriage. He infact admired that talent in me but never realized then how it will be living with such a crazy woman.:spin

Priya: As always your post shows so much maturity and encouragement. My current job benefits my family financially better than an art job....that is exactly why I have stepped into area other than my passion.
    So many of my friends, coworkers have asked me to teach their children and I am thinking over that option too. I need to set things in the home front more stable, organized to start something like that. I would love to teach especially children but do not want to fumble later because of my disorderliness. So, might consider in near future. Dh seems to like the idea too but I cautioned him as to how much of his help would then be needed.
    We both are working out other things first. Hope to get through our recent unrest.

Anasuya: Very well said!! People have a long way to go before they accept this:
    "Just because they're wife and mothers doesn't mean their entire being is subsumed into the family, and they're meant to become domestic automatons."

Thanks to all. I have learned so much through different perspectives.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  7. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your appretiation.

Good that you guys are finding some common grounds.It looks to me your husband is very understanding and supportive guy.So please don't loose it by overlooking things.
    For a women or a men happy married life is also very important among other things.

All the best.

8. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Good luck gal. :thumbsupYou are on the right track.