1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Marriage so expensive???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by puni88, Dec 25, 2007.

1. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello all,
    ===================================
    Pay Rs.1 cr for SRK as wedding guest New Delhi, IANS: Want your favourite celebrity to shake hands with guests, dance or sing at your wedding? All you need to do is to burn a hole in the pocket, that is, to shell out anything up to Rs.10 million (Rs.1 crore).
    Shah Rukh Khan may not agree to do a jig, but he might happily be a guest for Rs.10 million. Bollywood actors and item girls like Celina Jaitley, Malaika Arora Khan, Dia Mirza, Isha Koppikar and Rakhi Sawant charge nearly Rs.1 million each to perform.
    Koena Mitra, Shefali Zariwala, Priti Jhagtiani, Payal Rohtagi, Neha Kakkar, Sanobar and Mandira Bedi charge between Rs.500,000-Rs.700,000 to perform at marriage ceremonies.
    The schedule includes two high-voltage dance performances of eight-and-a-half minutes each.
    "It was unheard of even a decade ago. But today it's different because people have more money. Weddings are no longer rituals for them," Rahul Nagpal, senior manager (entertainment) of event management firm Touchwood Entertainment, said.
    "It is a chance to stand out among others by calling in Bollywood stars. But a lot depends on the availability of the star," he added.
    Singer Sonu Nigam charges Rs.3 million and Shaan's tag is nearly Rs.2.5 million

===================

I got this information thru one the news paper, since then I was thinking "Is marriage is so expensive".
    Actually the ans is 'NO' because, it depends on person and his financial capacities to spend for the marriages.
    Same time I was thinking, how these celebrities makes easy money.
    Wish I was one among them!! No doubt they too hard work, but still they make more money than us.

~Punitha

2. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Hi Puni,

the only thing that comes to my mind when i read such news is the Income Tax dept. hounds the poor salaried class and middle & upper middle class of people who received their pay-checks after IT cuts.

But these celebrities income are an open book, but can the IT dept furnish the details whether they pay the tax upfront or not. Or for that matter how many of them loyally pay the tax.

Roopa.

3. puni88

Hello Roopa,
    I, 100% agree with you!!

~Punitha

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    there is a channel called the "NDTV Good times' being aired. They have a programme called 'The Fat Indian Wedding'. They show the weddings of celebs. first hand. My God, it is really shocking and hurting to see people throw money like paper when millions in the world starve and die. But what can one say, it is their money they are spending.

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Puni,

Wel said.I would even go to a wedding for 50000 bucks tats all.HAHA.

If i had a son, i would have got the marriage done in Court,and Arya samaj pheras.And a small pary in the evening for 160-- 200 close relatives and friends.Thats all.No angeets, no gifts, just come and bless the couple.And no dresses made for the occassion.come in casuals.

And give a cheque of the amount saved on the wedding to the couple which they can put to good use for thir future life.

But then each to their own.Regards.kamal

6. puni88

Hello Kamalji,
    I admire your approach towards the marriage.
    I think, it is not necessary to spend so much money and make it a big event.
    Anyways, again it depends on each individuals.

~Punitha

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

I have never understood the idea of spending so much on marriage. i have always put my foot down on this issue. Everyone calls it the society demands, we have to do it, its prestige issue, I care a damn. I will never spend any money to get a man for myself. Is it business or a deal. Its just two souls have decided to start life together.

Extravagance decides status.. bonkbonk I am dead against this culture. How about going to an ashram on that day and feed all the occupants there. How about visiting an old age home and taking blessings of all the old uncles and aunts there.

8. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

I totally agree with Malspie regarding the idea of spending so much for marriage... I have seen Celebrity Weddings on the TV and went for one such wedding when I was young... At that age, I was amused to see all the extravaganza at the huge wedding hall, a very popular singer singing on the stage, film personalities coming and going, and also the 5-star food they serve for the guests...

But now I feel what is the use of spending a lot for the marriage.. Leave the celebrities...they have enough and extra money to spend...But what about the middle class common man... We also spend a lot for the weddings... In Kerala, it is mandatory that the parents of the girl have to spent money on Gold...that too about 100, 150, 250 sovereigns...for getting the so called "Fair, handsome, well settled" groom for their daughter... If the man is an NRI, the amount goes up again... I think, Kerala is a state which uses so much gold during weddings...also the dowry in the form of money is also too high...

Even my parents spent a good amount of money on both of us sisters for our weddings...

9. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Another take on this would be

How about the celebs donate the money thus raised to charities? (Robin Hood style except by providing service not robbing the rich to serve the poor).

10. puni88

Hello Blondie,
    I wish these celebrities does Robin Hood method, but they themselves are greedy.

~Punitha