1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Lord Rama confined to his Birthplace?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

"Ram tere man mein hai, Ram mere man mein hai
    Man se raavan ko nikaalo, Ram sabke man mein hai"

[​IMG]
    I was going across an article on the judgment laid down by the Privy Council in Lahore in 1940. Lahore’s famous Naulakha Bazar has Gurdwara Shahid Ganj Singhnian where earlier a mosque built in 1722 was situated. . When Anjuman Islamia, a Muslim body, sought restoration of its possession, the Privy Council ruled that the rights of the Muslims over the property had ceased since the 12 year time during which it could have been restored to them had elapsed. The council had also said that since no one had sued within a statutory period to evict the unauthorized persons who had become owners of the property due to adverse occupation, the plaintiff “born 100 years later” could not claim any rights. The Gurudwara still exists.

Now, I am not trying to draw any parallels with the above judgment to what could happen in the Ayodhya verdict on September 24. What I wish to say here is that courts will give judgment strictly on legal and constitutional grounds without any religious bias.

You cannot expect the court to sit in judgment on whether the birthplace of Lord Rama existed in Ayodhya or not? A court cannot judge such things.

Aren’t our lawmakers to blame for not dealing with this issue head on before it blew out of proportion? Now they are washing their hands by pushing this whole weighty issue before the courts.

Excessive Judicial activism has become the trend of the day in our country.

Right from school admissions to results to property disputes to all issues touching everyday aspects of life, the lawmakers put the ball on the hands of the court and then act depending upon the pros and cons of the court judgments.

If courts are to decide everything, why is the Prime Minister sitting in his chair in the first place when the courts take all the decisions that he and his cabinet ministers should be taking?

The Opposition is no better. They will condemn the judgment if it is not in their favor and act in contempt or cross swords with the ruling government if the judgment goes in their favor.

Whichever way, the judgment goes; the political parties should have the maturity to accept the verdict. Sadly, this is lacking. India is not a nation governed by religious vendetta but by the constitution of India. The Constitution of India is supreme and everything else comes secondary.

The ignorant lot of India finds it difficult to accept this bitter truth. As far as my view is concerned, my understanding of Hinduism refuses to accept the fact that a mosque or any compound wall is going to stop my faith from believing in Lord Rama.

The following verses from the Upanishads refer to the Concept of one God.

“Ekam evadvitiyam”

He is One only without a second [Chandogya Upanishad]

“Na casya kascij janita na cadhipah”

Of Him there are neither parents nor lord. [Svetasvatara Upanishad]

“Na tasya pratima asti”

There is no likeness of Him. [Svetasvatara Upanishad]

“Na samdrse tisthati rupam asya, na caksusa pasvati kas canajnam”

His form is not to be seen; no one sees Him with the eye. [Svetasvatara Upanishad]

[Taken from sources]

“You cannot have ego and say Aham Brahmasmi. That was the mistake of Hiranyakasipu” was Shri Vaidyanathan Pushpagiri’s comment to a blog of mine few months ago.

Hiranyakasipu was furious when his son Prahlad claimed “God is everywhere”. What happened next is legendary folklore.

This is the essential difference between a devotee and a religionist. The devotee simply wants to serve the Lord and considers such service his or her only desired reward. For the devotee there is no greater reward than being allowed to assist, in some small way, with God's Will. To know that one is where God wishes one is to be is the greatest accomplishment in life. Fame, wealth and power are meaningless to one of true faith and devotion. This is how true devotees of all religious traditions think: How can I serve God.

Now, I am not deeply religious but having belief in the true concept of devotion towards the Lord, I cannot agree with that hooligan who stood atop the demolished tomb of the Babri Masjid under a false sense of victory. Did he secure victory for Lord Rama or shall the Lord be ever grateful to him for his greatest deed?

How can I trust such hooligans to decide the fate of the nation in which I live? Not only me, but the majority of people in India share the same feeling. The people of India are much mature than these political leaders. This is why there is harmony within various communities despite attempts to create widespread hatred.

My concept of Lord Rama does not gel with the concept of these Hindu fundamentalists. Muslims undertake Haj journey all the way from all parts of the world But the Hindus never believed in a common way of worship. Lord Krishna is worshipped as Kanhaiya in the North, Viththal in Maharashtra and Guruvayoorappan in Kerala. A devotee at the Thriprayar Sree Rama temple does not harbor the same feelings as a devotee in Uttar Pradesh or Orissa. As such, Dalits do not share the same views as upper castes of Hindus. Hinduism is a way of life and the inherent strength of our Sanathan Dharma has enabled us to emerge culturally stronger despite foreign invasions.

Now, that the matter is placed before the courts, I think that we have to respect the court judgment and move on in life without being swayed by the communal hatred that is set to be unleashed by the political parties.

The Ayodhya Verdict is not a religious battle. It is a political battle for power.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Iyer, I do agree with you. Wit your beautiful words, you have taught us what is important. Not the temple or religion or ritual. Just faith is important.

last paragrah is very powerful. Hope people understand the human value, no tn political/religious leaders.

3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

you have touched a sensitive issue but very apt one. Our politicians make everything into politics and religion is the weapon they r using now. but the sufferers are innocense people. If people can understand that what ever way u follow, GOD IS ONE, nothing like that.

well shared topic.

andal

4. sureshmiyer

thanks for your views on this sensitive issue

warm regards
    suresh

5. sureshmiyer

yes coffeelover

thanks for your comments
    we the Indian people are suffering due to the nonsense of these political parties and their goondas

warm regards
    suresh

6. vaishnavisri

vaishnavisri Senior IL'ite

Suresh Ji,
    Very important topic at the right time. Your words are very strong and striking but will it reach the ears of our politicians?

7. sureshmiyer

I will pray to Lord Shri Rama to restore sanity and peace

Shree Rama Jayam

cheers
    suresh

8. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

hi what u have said is absolutely right.ayodhya issue is not a religious battle but political battle.these are stunts of chief rate politicians.they want 'z' type security for them and their family and don,t think about the people.
    who gave them the right to do such atrocities in the name of religion?

9. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments

cheers
    suresh