1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is killing a venomous cobra a sin?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by SGBV, Jun 26, 2015.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Last weekend, we had an outing to our native town with our extended family members.

My sister's and brother's family came with us to spend that weekend.

During our stay, we heard from our helper that a neighboring little girl was died as she stepped in to a big cobra which visited our road (the road surrounded by many houses) and kept on roaming here and there by trying to enter everyone's house. She warned us to be careful as little kids may knowingly or unknowingly catch that cobra, as it is very harmful.

We located that funeral house and inquired them. It seems the girl was almost ready for School. It was a cloudy morning after a long dry season. The cobra was already staying in that area, upon paying its visits to many others houses. She unknowingly stepped in it, and it bite her. The emergency medical intervention was of no help, as the girl died.

When questioned as to why no one hit that cobra, they say it is a sin. It felt funny when people left milk and egg for the cobra to drink instead of sprinkling some kerosene instead. The cobra was happy sought refuge in where it was welcomed.

As expected that cobra visited our place, and my relative (my SIL's bro) located it rightly. Since we thought it is dangerous to let it stay here or roam within our range, we decided to kill it.
    He and my brother surrounded this cobra, and somehow that relative ended the story by cutting it into 3 pieces by a gardening hoe.

Then we took it out of our compound and set fire using the dried grass outside.

We felt a sense of relieve, and ensured this message is shared with that poor girl's family.

However, the entire neighborhood was gathered in question accusing our relative for killing that cobra. They said it is a sin, and his pregnant wife and unborn kid are going be affected by this.
    They also gave lot of remedy ideas, which we refused to follow.

Now, they even seem unhappy for the cheap funeral of the cobra. One suggested it should have been placed in a pure silk cloth, with flowers and milk on it, also with rituals.

It felt bad as the community didn't feel this angry when a little innocent girl died because of this cobra, but they are offending us for killing it. I am sure if it is freed like this, it would have killed so many innocent souls in the next few days.

What say you ladies?

2. GaythriV

GaythriV Platinum IL'ite

Whether it is sin or not you could have called the professional snake catcher as you all had enough time to call him.

4 people like this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

There is no hot-line no to call a professional snake catcher in the city where we visited, and there is no time to think beyond killing or catching as the snake already entered our premises, and would roam there - which was considered risky for a family with many young kids.

4 people like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

All lives are precious...but I would always put human life over everything else.
    When it is your own family that is in danger,no one likes to take a risk .Snake catcher or snake rescue would have been fine ,if it was available ,but it is not at most places.I would never put my family in line of danger to save a poisonous snake.

As for the religious or cultural feelings of people,fear is a part of most belief systems.Fear is used to make people believe. It such cases,it is often something that forces people to conserve nature .Snakes would probably be extinct in poor countries with poor medical help in hand,if not for this fear .

Tree like Peepal and banyan which take so long to reach the mature stage would probably be extinct too ,if not for the fact that people worship them.

Sometimes fear is used to control,sometimes to manipulate,sometimes to force people to conserve .

So just forgive them for their fear....

So glad you and your family are fine SGBV. Most of us would have done the same specially knowing about the death of a child close by.

5 people like this.
  5. Cool10

Cool10 Silver IL'ite

Anyone would kill to protect their family. I don't believe its a sin.

1 person likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Rituals are fine but "blind faith" is wrong.

The snake was trying to protect itself by biting the innocent child.it does not have six sense like the human.the poor child also did not know what she stepped on and her life has been taken unfairly:(

I do not see anything wrong in what u guys did.wat did the town people expect u guys to do in the face of a venomous snake?sing songs and do aarthi?

Survival of the fittest is what worked here.

I wonder why the town people did not do anything to catch the snake instead of allowing it to roam and just warn other people.it is they who are at mistake and not u.

3 people like this.
  7. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

In US people get killed because they knocked on the wrong door Death of Yoshihiro Hattori I would not even think for a second to kill the snake.

1 person likes this.
  8. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

It would have been better to catch the snake and left it somewhere else. Since that option is not available, I dont feel bad for killing it. Why did people encourage by giving eggs milk and I am sure snake liked the food and decided to stay there. If it had been deprived off its food it would have moved itself looking for food somewhere else. Having said that, Iwould not like cobras or venomous snakes in my compound or area.

9. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

I could recall a similar incident where my husband's collegeau's small boy was bitten by a snake while playing in his garden. Unfortunately, the baby died.
    I wouldn't hesitate to kill anything that comes to my backyard with a record of killing an innocent child...
    Ignore what others say... It is easy to say ''call the snake rescuer or catch it !?? Really ? " The first instinct is to save ourselves and smash it with whatever comes in hand.
    Placing milk and egg ...doing aarthis and sing 'Nadamuni mel erukkum naga paambae... Unakku nalla peyar vaithathu yaar sollu paambae'....will all work for movies...
    Doing something intentionally like culling them for skin etc..is bad and sinful. Not defending ourselves and our family by a venomous snake.

3 people like this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Your relative did the the right thing, how could you live close by knowing that any time the snake may show up? During summer time, it looks for a cool place to settle down.

Usually, the astrologers are the one confusing the others with the term 'dosha'. I really don't know, how far it is true.

In south Indian villages, even today such a ritual cremation for the snakes are performed, mostly it is the fear factor? Believing it or not, is a different story.

For the peace of mind if you like, ask your Hindu friend to perform a pooja at the nearby temple on behave of him.

1 person likes this.