1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth talking about to hubby? Confused & shocked!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by deepshikha, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Dear ladies,

I need some inputs from you all. I recently got to know something from hubby that left me shocked. We were married 2.5 years back, and my MIL paid us a visit when we were hardly four months into our marriage. At that time, MIL told me that my hubby did not pay a single penny in his wedding arrangement and she was the one who made all arrangements, I was really shocked because before our wedding she had informed my Mom that hubby is doing all expenses in arrangement of party , gifts etc. of the boy's side. Still I thought it was not worth making an issue of it as we were so newly married and did not say anything to my husband about it. But I was hurt as I never wanted to get married to a guy who would not even pay wedding expenses, and it did have its effect on our marriage too as I always had a doubt what kind of a guy he would turn out to be.

A week back my husband and I were talking about marriage expenses in India, and without any particular intentions I said casually that people get married with such fanfare because parents spend the money. He took it as a personal comment and said that he paid for his own wedding. I was a little taken aback but tried to not show my surprise and laughed it away.

But since then I am really in a shock that why did my MIL lie to me that husband paid nothing. She was very forceful about it at that time. I know my husband is not lying to me, since I know him better now after 2.5 years.
    What is eating me away is why MIL did that, did she think I will never come to know? She is a bit cunning in other ways but I just try to ignore her tantrums. She might visit us again soon and what I worry is that she might try again to put misunderstandings between us. So I am in a dilemma whether to talk about this to hubby or not. I don't want to sound complaining to him, but I think he should know what his mother did to us. I am not sure whether to talk about this or not to him, but I am greatly disturbed. Please give your suggestions.

2. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear deepshikha,

This is very common at least in my house. My MIL always talks with two tongues. So don't get upset about it but when you get time you just tell your husband the information, which you got from your MIL but don’t talk single word more than that..
    But my husband, he just ignores and never bothers for it. So just it easy. But one important thing, since she got this habit, when she is talking you just in general about other relatives and if you express something right or wrong then definitely she would change the color of the word’s which you expressed and tell the other party. So you be very cautious about what you talk with her.
    Why she did-Simple they will have some kind of insecurity where you will stop your husband to support them in terms of money or whatever and at least my MIL is very happy if we have fights.
    Good that you didn't talk something back to her.If you would have talked something then she would go and tell to your husband that your wife said these things.
    If you know some misunderstanding going on between you and your husband, when your husband in office call him and clear it or send him an email. Typically men don't understand and don't bother about these because they don’t face these.
    These people are simple family politicians and you need to just careful when dealing but don't worry too much on this.

Take Care.

Definilty you need to tell him again as you mentioned not in complain mode.But don't get upset,she didn't do anything to you just she did because she is in MIL position and she has her fears.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Deepshikha, First of all I wudnt trust a MIL who tells her DIL after only 4 months of marriage about marriage expenses.You need a level of comfort to even talk about such things with In laws or for that matter Daughter in law.Forget the fact that it was your husband or in laws spending ,thats entirely another issue.Its a wise thing you did ,not to discuss it with your husband immediately then. It wud have rocked the foundation of your marriage a little bit.
    This thing your MIL told you shud be a warning to you as to her nature. She told you before wedding that your husband will be spending money on the marriage and turned her own words after. Of course this is the same tactic used to MIL 's or IL's in general in India.She wanted to get away feeling great and hence might be forceful. My FIL did the same to thing to me once on the fone. He mentioned I am freeloading off his son doing nothing, in my husband's absence. When my husband asked him he point blank refused telling that.If your marriage is doing great dont mention this to your husband or MIL and keep it to yourself.Even if you tell your husband he might not believe it at first .You can wait till you MIL comes and see how she behaves with you and your husband . If you have some heated times in her presence,do mention it to your husband when your husband himself is annoyed due to this or after she leaves.Good Luck.

4. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Since you've led a married life with your DH for 2.5 years, always give him the benefit of doubt. No matter what your MIL says, and especially now that you know she has misled you in the past, don't cloud your mind in suspicions and doubts with what she tells you.

If you really need to ask about something she said, just casually ask your DH without hurting him.

All the best

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

This is a "he said this" and "she said that" kind of issue - we should not try to probe into anything unless we have concrete evidence. In this case, it might be the case that your husband or your MIL may be correct, but you have no way of knowing. If I don't have full information on anything I would like to err on the positive side and that I advice to my wife too. Please consider people that matter to you (your husband) in a positive sense unless you have concrete evidence to otherwise - in this case you don't have.

Moreover so far as your husband is treating you well in other aspects and so far as you both have love and affection - this thing should not be considered an issue. You may as well ignore it.

And lastly don't use indirect statements. If it is very important for you that you need to find out who is correct, why don't you plainly tell your husband what his mother told about the expense. Put it as casually as you can, and that you are just intrigued and that you don't consider who paid for the marriage as an issue at all. But then still you have to believe whatever your husband will say - as you have no other way to find who is correct. But does it matter??

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Deepshikha,

You have been married for 2.5 years and know your husband well by now. Does it even matter who paid for the wedding expenses? Don't you otherwise know him well enough now to admire his qualities and accept the not so great ones? Just like he must be doing towards you?

About finances, in some families your money and our money is not so clear cut. To give an example - some guys give parents money every month. May be your husband gave his mother more than was needed and she was supposed to buy gold/sarees with them over time? He thinks it is his money that got spent, and she thinks "hers" may be? In some families, siblings agree to help parents buy a house. Due to some reasons, one sibling cannot help at that time. Another sibling helps more and feels later when parents are in a better position, they will spend more on wedding. Just to give 2 quick examples. So, finances are a very grey area in many families. Just believe what your husband is saying, as in this matter, it is not worth investigating, and not even possible to investigate without creating unnecessary tensions.

Rihana

7. deepshikha

deepshikha Senior IL'ite

Perhaps you are all right to say I should let sleeping dogs lie. My concern now is how am I going to deal with MIL and her lies once she is here. The only reason I feel my husband should know this is that MIL is going to talk about money again.

I wouldn't say she is all bad, but when it comes to money she can make up any kind of stories. She even asked me to give her my own money(which my parents gave me in cash before I came to US) to shop for her daughters! I did, as I did not know how to deal with her at that time and because of the guilt she created in me that my husband never gave her a single penny.
    Finances might be a gray area in families as Rihana says, but when one member tries to extract money out of the other then I guess it is a cause of concern.

I know I cannot trust her anymore, but have decided to hear it from my husband that he did give money to MIL, albeit in a casual tone.
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

8. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Hi,

When you have now come to know about ur MIL's character, try to ignore her when she begins to talk about money matters.

Just take light.

All the best.

9. sita2223

sita2223 Bronze IL'ite

From what you said, your MIL lied to you about your DH 4 mon into your marriage... and you came to know your DH's version only a week ago???

Why couldn't you just ask your DH after your MIL made those comments??

No matter what your MIL tells you or your DH, it will not affect your relationship as long as you and your DH have strong communication and trust between each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.