1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it worth scraping and saving like this?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Nithya001, Nov 8, 2008.

1. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Everyone is giving their views here. But where is Nithya??

Is it that she does not have have a net connection at home and hence can't login often.

2. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

I want to thank all of you for being so supportive and giving your opinions. After reading everyone's post , I analyzed my problem. Some of you were right to say that there is a communication problem between me and my husband. He is not very open to me although I try to talk to him often. I stopped expecting any candid talk from him as I also understand that men are not emotional like women and do not like to discuss things which they think are their sole concern.
    I tried talking to my husband about finances, what he replied to me further confused me. He says that most Indians and immigrants who come to US live like this. They have to curb desires as it takes a long time to settle in financially here. If I talk about giving me money he says, its all yours, but when it comes to spending, for eg. I asked him that I wanted to do a certificate course from the state University, his immediate response was that we will have to see how much it costs! That was enough to discourage me and not think about it anymore. The course required 3000$ which I feel is not too much(I know he can give me that as he keeps talking of going to India again to visit his sister who just moved to mumbai with her hubby, even though we have been to India this year) if it gives me a certificate, I do not expect to do MS at all given my husbands finances but a $ 3000 course is not that much? He is ready if I want to do some worthless $300 course of hairdressing etc. from community college in which I am not interested. I am not a dumb girl and I think if I wish to study after marriage and expect my husband to help me in that there is nothing wrong.
    His vague replies that "all I have is yours" and leaving me to wonder how much should I spend on myself from that "all" is tortuos.
    If I try to talk to him about money and his earnings he gets embarrased and talks vague things like all Indians in US have to scrape. I don't think so as I see Indian girls around me living comfortably.

He doesn't talk openly to me, and I feel bad too if my questions about money embarras him. And as for the in-laws thing I don't even wan't to mention it. He says nice things but when I buy something for myself he starts talking about sending a gift to his Mom or sis making me feel that my spending his money for myself is not right and it was his Mom or sis who deserved to get the stuff I buy for myself.

I know open communication is the key but he doesn't understand how awful he makes me feel with his attitude. I find it hard to communicate with him as he tries to end all converstaion with vague replies.

Its not just about money now, the kind of life I am living is affecting my confidence, I find it hard to be friendly with other Indian ladies around me as most of the time what happens is that friendship leads to going around with them and I usually do not buy anything for myself, and end up feeling really left out in a group. Sometimes I don't even have a dollar with me!! I now shy away from even making friends! I am more worried about losing all self-confidence than with the fact that my husband doesn't give me money.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  3. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

HI Nithya,

I suggest forget about convincing your hubby for a while. Let him be on his own. Why dont you try something else??
    After talking to him openly about finances, you know the response (vague) from him. Now theres no point in further pushing him. From your posts, i understand that you are an educated person. Instead of again spending more dollars, getting a certification and then starting up a job, why dont you start something rightaway. Something like after-school care or catering. Excuse me if this doesnt suit you, but let me tell you, for a while by doing this (since H4s dont have much choice in US) you will be able to restore your self-confidence rather than blaming your hubby for this misery. I have seen many ladies here doing after-school care. As the kids will be grown up, it will not be a hassle. They might wait in your house till the parents return from office for a few hours. You can place an ad in sulekha or some local yellow pages and get started!! Earn a few dollars yourself and you will feel the difference!!
    You were a sensible adult when you got into this marriage but unfortunately things did not turn out the way you wanted. Until and unless you take some steps, you cannot change this present state. All the time staying at home and blaming your hubby will leave you in a more depressed state.
    I would suggest think of some ways (if not in a group) to keep yourself occupied. Try volunteering in a local library for a month or so and see the changes in yourself.
    Wake up, lady!! Dont let yourself go thru this!! After all, its your life and you have every right to tune it the way you want. Try this once....dont think it as a long term project...juss think this is like some medicine required to cure your present illness. Try this for a month or so...and then decide.
    My wishes are with you,
    vani

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Nitya,

I agree with Vani 100%. You will have to come out of this misery yourself. See where your interest lies alternatively see what you can do from home and earn some money. This way you will start getting financially independent and your self confidence will also boost.

As Vani mentioned start with something like voluntary help and other alternatives are baby sitting, after school care, cooking(catering), in gujju families i have seen them calling a lady once or twice a week to cook food for 3-4 days or you can also make food at home and ask them to pick it up.

Be proactive. Don't lose your self confidence...no one is worth it. God has given us a wonderful life let us make the best of it. Once you are confident about yourself, you will also be able to stand up for your self. So dear girl wake up and don't wallow in self pity.

All the best.

5. Nirims

Nirims New IL'ite

Nithya.......i am not sure why i dont see your replies often (are you restricted from even browsing frequently in the name of cost cutting?)

husband is the most intimate of a relation a women can have...its pathetic if you have to be so hesitant....to even ask what you want(4get about getting it)

any one would like to live a life of comfort and is no pleasure... if we are asked to compromise in all things and everything... your demands sounds reasonable......but again WHY DO YOU HESITATE.... if you can say that in an open forum to complete strangers why not to your husband?

when i read your posts i am imaging a women in a strange land, living alone with a husband,, but not very comfortable to talk to him or ask him anything...feeling bad that you are hesitant to even go outside..........because you do not have a dime :-(

get a job............ASAP and that money should serve only you.....become financially independant.........girl............

6. div123

div123 New IL'ite

Dear Nithya,
    I am in the same boat as u. Its been 3 years since i got married. I tell u there is no use in talking to ur husband, unless he has some soft corner to u. Mine is the worst, he scolds me and my family with all the possible bad words. Now after sitting at home Idle for about 2 years, i have decided to do something. I thought of doing babysitting at home for 2 kids. I dont know how i will do , but still being with kids u will forget everything. I am an M.Tech graduate and dont ask me how i led myself into this pit. I am trying to come out of it.
    I am willing to do babysitting at my home. I can teach them all the knowledge i have. I can also teach them few shloka's too. So if anyone is willing in this forum, pls mail me. It wud be of gr8 help to me.
    Thanks.

7. roopadadia

roopadadia Silver IL'ite

Div, i would suggest don't restrict your self to just baby sitting. Take whatever comes your way.

My co-sis had done a small course on taxation and she was helping some firm part time with their paper work. I think she was also doing it for individuals who didn't have time for this or were not interested in doing it.

She was operating from freemont. Now, on maternity leave.

8. Nithya001

Nithya001 Bronze IL'ite

Nirims, I do not log in often because we have one laptop at home which my husband needs to take with him sometimes to office. I log in to IL on days when he leaves it at home for me. I can go to library though but there I get only 1 hour to browse as it is limited per person.

I cannot get a job as I'm on H4, yes I can work for cash to babysit but I can't do that all my life, that is why I want to do some course.

My husband doesn't want me to work illegally for some Indian agencies as he says they exploit a lot. He is ok if I do babysitting etc. till he gets GC approved and I can look for a job. But that will take a long time. I want to do some small course which can help me get job later but he keeps talking of money if I mention that.
    It is not that I can't buy anything for myself, he takes me shopping but if I want something I see for eg. I wanted to get a painting kit just for hobby he asks me do you really need it? are you really going to complete it? Do you know how to do painting etc. etc. His behaviour makes me feel as if getting something for myself just out of my will or just for hobby is a waste of money. I end up telling him no I don't think i'll be able to do it and that's it. Similar things happen when I talk of doing a course or studying something. Looking back to last two years I know that even if he gives the money in my hand I'll feel guilty to spend it on myself.

I have lost a lot of confidence. Some of you are right to say that husband should be the person in whom one can confide but I do not feel close to him. He seems to be very distant. I find it hard to tell him that his attitude makes me feel dependant on him for every single penny and that I feel I am wasting his money every time I get something for myself.

9. oaktree

oaktree Senior IL'ite

Dear Nithya,
    Do not support his words by saying ok yes i will not be able to do this or that ... instead say yes, i think its a good idea . Otherwise you will keep loosing confidence as a result of your own words apart from hubby's behaviour. When he tries to put your enthusiasm down by saying negatives , take it up as a challenge, be cheerful... insist of learning new skills like that course or that hobby kit, then go ahead pour yourself into it and finish it. May be you can start saving money by doing jobs like baby sitting. talk to hubby that you have to do that educational course . suggest that if you get a job then it will be overall beneficial to both of you because then he will not be the only earner of the family and your joint earnings will give you more comfort. perhaps this will make sense to him. So insist and suggest that you will also put your saving into course fee but he needs to trust you right now. otherwise its a kind of deadlock - he wont give you money to study and without studying further you cannot earn a handsom amount. And most important do not feel so sensitive and emotional, learn to ignore his discouragement. forget about being guilty. Once you become financially independent you wont have to ask him for each penny. so work on this direction. with sweet talk or showing your strong desire make him pay for the education money. besides if you feel that its really a big stress on him then you can pay back that money to him once you get a job.
    Regards
    Oaktree

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. Nirims

Nirims New IL'ite

[I wanted to get a [COLOR=green! important][COLOR=green! important]painting[/color][/color] kit just for hobby he asks me do you really need it? are you really going to complete it? Do you know how to do painting etc. etc. His behaviour makes me feel as if getting something for myself just out of my will or just for hobby is a waste of money. I end up telling him no I don't think i'll be able to do it and that's it.] -

OMG :shock: Nithya this is too much - but is this his classic behavior with everybody or just with your needs?

But why do you deprive yourself of what you want, sometimes you need to be asssertive to get what you want, My husband did this once with me, i told him clearly that i want it get me, he got it, but then on he doesnt ask too many questions, because he knows i am going to make him get that for me anyway.

Probably your husband has got that ,if he asks you mulitple questions, you will end giving up and he is repeating history again and again.

Try once and see what results it brings