is it worth moving to 2 bedroom apartment in US after a baby?

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by mirrorimage, Jan 3, 2016.

1. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Silver IL'ite

is it worth moving to 2 bedroom apartment in US after a baby?
    what are the pros and cons...we are expecting in laws and parents to stay with us for atleast an year or so .With the sky rocketing prices here we are still deciding should we move to a 2 bed from 1 bed apartment..how will it improve my state?
    Husband is hesitating...he wants to continue in 1 bed..
    But with baby and inlaws I feel it would be too overwhelming for me to manage and have space...
    what do you people suggest?
    please suggest some valid points to tell to husband for moving to a 2 bedroom....
    whenever I say I might not be comfortable with your parents in a small space he gets angry...

2. OCdesigirl

OCdesigirl Gold IL'ite

I am expecting my first baby in May. We have already shifted to 2bd2ba apartment it would be extremely difficult in my opinion, to have inlaws,baby and us all in one bedroom apartment.

sindmani likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You could manage in a 1-bedroom if it is going to be just you, husband and baby. However with in-laws/parents visiting for 3-6 month stretches it will be much more comfortable with an extra room. Preferably if the place has an additional bathroom or even an extra powder room. Otherwise it will be stressful if everyone is in each other's space all the time.
    Tell him that his parents will be more comfortable with their own room, where they can have their own TV/laptop set up so they will not be disturbed by the baby/can take rest at their convenience, etc.

4. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

Isn't it illegal to stay in a 1 BHK after a kid, let alone have guests for ONE year?? What does your leasing office have to say about this?

Here, Indians are getting into serious trouble for staying in 1BHK after having a baby.

What are the proposed sleeping arrangements for your IL's and you, after they come? Will you, DH and baby get the room, and IL's plan to camp out in the drawing room? Will your parents also be comfortable in this kind of set-up?

Are you working? Or will you be home all day? Three adults and one newborn in 1BHK the whole day? Or are elders coming to take care of your baby in turns?

sindmani likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It is most likely not allowed by the leasing rules. However I have seen people living like this and they usually get away with it unless someone rats them out.

sindmani and dimhere like this.
  6. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

@mirrorimage, Then you can use this as a good reason to convince your husband to move.

sindmani likes this.
  7. bruised234

bruised234 Gold IL'ite

Are both planning to stay at the same time? Then 2 bd room won't be enough either. It's better you move to 2b2bath because you will have difficulty feeding the baby. At least have an arrangement where the bathroom is separate.

8. mukti45

mukti45 New IL'ite

It will be difficult to manage 4 adult, baby with one bathroom. If your FIL will be with you then using bathroom will be a problem after delivery when you need to use bathroom very often and change sanitary napkins.

9. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

With baby and in-laws/parents 2 bed 2 bath is a must. From experience: Having our own room is a sanity saver and also allows for much needed privacy with husband and baby.

sindmani likes this.
  10. mirrorimage

mirrorimage Silver IL'ite

whenever I bring up this topic of 2bed 2 bath ...he gets angry and tells,I will keep my head in debt and get you 2 bed....
    I dont know..I understand its a budget issue..but my mental peace is lost if I dont have enough space..especially with in laws around..every move of yours is judged like crazy...