1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it safer to raise kids in USA??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by anika987, Aug 25, 2013.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am not saying usa is the best place to raise BUT..looking at the rape statistics and how women r treated back in our home country,it looks like usa is safer.
    I am sure everyone of us have been touched or groped by some nasty fellow back in India.Be it in a bus,or anywhere..guys stare,touch us etc.
    everything happens in the dark.I truly started to believe that USA could be a bit safer than India to raise kids but maybe I am wrong.what r ur thoughts?

3 people like this.

2. dave08

dave08 New IL'ite

Just like you have generalized about rape cases in India, I too can point out that there's increasing killing sprees in USA. I am sure you have read about the killing sprees which has happened in USA over the years, where often young innocent children were killed in masses.

Saying that, in terms of education and other criteria taken into account, USA would be a good option to raise children. But, importantly, they have to be raised with good religious backgroud and our Eastern values.

Just my 2 cents.

4 people like this.
  3. hotchillipepper

hotchillipepper Gold IL'ite

I am in delhi and it gives me goose bumps to send my DD to preschool. Despite all the assurances given by school authorities i couldnt send her away. Reporting of rapes has improved but about assault many many cases goes unreported. I have never come across Any woman who has not seen one form or other of sexual exploitation in her life and majorly being in childhood or early teens! Grown up women face eve teasing more but kids face uglier crimes simply because the are often too scared/shocked to open up after assault and are easier to get hold on.I feel Europe is better and so is USA in terms of safety of kids. Crimes happen everywhere but way its handled in india is hopeless. And remarks of politicians (dressing/timings/attitude! of girls) rub salt on wounds.

1 person likes this.
  4. ravioli1970

ravioli1970 Bronze IL'ite

I do agree life is safer for all of us here in the US with the stricter laws and group effort on public awareness and working as a society on a whole. I have little nieces in india going to school and I pray for their safety every day and just cant wait for the day my sister will move here for ever!!

1 person likes this.
  5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

May be it is, but raising kids here in N. America has its own cons. The exposure of drugs, sex and other such things is scary. There are many other issues many of us face as we brought up our kids here.

1 person likes this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Safety is a subjective concept. and please do not form judgments based on just what the media reports. India's media is trp based, and they are now moving to becoming emotional manipulators. instead of just news, they are looking for what would make it to be most watched and nothing more.

yes india is not rosy, there are saftey issues, that does not mean there are nothing in the other countries. few countries, do not allow things to pilferate to the media at any cause, while in india, we the people send the mms clipping to the media.

Sometimes, i wonder if our children can be more safer anywhere like they were cocooned in our womb..

9 people like this.
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Well said Shanvy.

8. rathiprasad

rathiprasad Silver IL'ite

it is relative to say which country is better at a young age as there are pros and cons..you dont get guys on the loose in India barging into schools and killing innorcent children..that type of mentality does not exist in the East.

but once kids reach their teens, then the USA it is a different ballgame..

2 people like this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Pluses and minuses are there in every country. The issues may be different. We have to use our discretion.

I am not partial to any country...but regarding USA what about the Gun laws? Can parents be tension free when once they send the children to school. We all remember what happened last year in Connecticut? What trauma a child must have gone through! Unimaginable! The Govt. is paranoid about terrorism. Why are they not able to control guns?Shouldn't the parents be made responsible when a kid takes gun to school?

Free sex, teenagers' problems, drugs..we read all about these many times. I have a friend in USA who is a Paeditrician.She is Bengali. She says they treat children up to the age of 16. Many mothers come to her with their daughters when they are 13 or 14 for contraceptive pills. She has a teenage daughter. She says "I can prescribe pills to other kids with some counselling. But I feel very embarassing to talk about it to my own daughter."

So, many issues are there in every country. Parents have to be careful with their children and give them good values irrespective of in which country they live. Today in the snippets Viswamitra wrote a very good blog about the bringing up children.....the parents' role plays an important part and not the country in which they live.

Syamala

4 people like this.
  10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I'll say we can not make any blanket conclusions whether US is safe or India is safe.
    Women/gals are not safe any where in his world.(dont hit the panic button please)
    But wherever in this world you have to teach your children to be street smart and also to tackle situations.
    The number of rape cases only show the probabilities of facing such situations .But that doesnt mean just because you are in US you are completely safe.The probabilities are only lower but not zero remember??