1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it right/safe to use hairdryer?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by swaran, Dec 20, 2012.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi all,:hiya

My DD doesnt have that patience to stay in one place till we dry her hair with a towel..most of the times,we are not able to dry her hair properly...tried telling stories,did many things to make her stand but most of the time ,it just doesnt work...:bonk

so i would like to know whether hair dryer could be used...
    but many say that it would spoil the hair,will it?...i myself have heard a dermatologist saying not to use hair dryer but use only a towel to dry the hair..i have not used a hair dryer and use only towel

more than the hair getting damaged,i am worried that my DD would catch a cold..the morning times,i myself dont find enough time to dry her hair properly..

she is too young,i dont want to use a hair dryer if it would spoil her hair texture/quality...

your replies would be of great help to me..

thanks in advance

2. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

Hi swaran,
    Even I have this question in my mind . Fear of catching cold, I use dryer for my DD too .

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hey rmpriya...so you too are still in confusion huh..lets wait for replies from experienced people :)

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Swaran and rmpriya,

we stopped using hair dryer, because we had time to towel dry. i would say towel dry with good dampness soaking towels, the thin kaasi towel types are better than the thick fleece. do not tie wet hair.

if it is not avoidable you can use dryer..but ensure these things..because both your kiddos are too small to realise excess heat or any other issue.

1. never hair dry standing on wet surface..risk of electrical shock.
    2. seat your daughter in such a way that you have an undisturbed view of her scalp.
    3. use a towel and remove all the excess dripping water. and once you feel the hair is just damp and not dripping you can use a dryer..
    4. use the least setting (some hairdryers come with 3 settings) and keep moving the dryer and do not allow it at any one single point remember your baby's scalp is real delicate and could get heated.

Too much heat from the dryer causes dryness in the scalp, and also hair. also there is a chance of hitting hot air on the face. if you are careful enough i am sure it would not be that harmful...

2 people like this.
  5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot shaanvy for the detailed response...
    i am planning to get a dryer not to use it all times but in certain unavoidable/no time situations...
    thanks again :)

6. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

My suggestion would be not to use hair dryer.It spoils the hair and makes it very dry.My personal experience.Also you say your DD is very small,it will make her hair very rough.Why not standing under the sun instead of just drying with towel.I know small kids will not stand in sun,but tell her some convincing stories to make her feel fine..

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

hair dryer is the last thing i would try insha..but just wanted to know everybody's response so that i know that i am right and also the personal experience of many...
    thanks for stepping in with your valuable suggestions :)

8. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Swaran
    Why not give her head bath during weekends at aBOUT 9 OR 10 AM and let her play outside in sun her hair WILL DRY soon... Hair dryer will make the hair lose moisture and hence will result in hair problems...

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks a lot VJB..we do give her a bath after 11AM during the weekends..i am actually more worried about she catching a cold during weekdays :bonk

10. Kutty_80

Kutty_80 Senior IL'ite

it is not safe to use hair dryers for kids.. within 2 times my daughter had split ends.. dont use it