Is It Prudent To Get Flu Vaccine During Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Sandhya13, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

I am in a dilemma. I am 20 weeks pregnant and my OB/GYN recommended to take Flu shot. I have never taken flu shots before, not even during my 1st pregnancy.

My almost 4 year old started preschool in April this year. This will be his first winter when he gets more exposure to germs. I am thinking to get one for him too. But I am not sure whether I should get one for me as well.

Has anyone got flu shot during pregnancy? Are there any concerns?

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on the pregnancy! I got the flu vaccine during both my pregnancies. If you have a four year old preschooler the odds of you catching the flu are high. That will entail prolonged sickness and possibly antibiotics and other medications. I think getting both him and yourself vaccinated is the prudent thing to do. The vaccine doesnt offer a 100% guarantee but it will lower your risk significantly.

Sandhya13 and SinghManisha like this.
  3. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Sandhya13 I did not get the shots. I got shots for 10 years and ended up getting flu anyway. During pregnancy I didnt...and luckily, I didnt get flu either.

Sandhya13 likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Get the shot.
    This is good too. You must invest in a lottery ticket now and then.

Sandhya13 likes this.
  5. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Please do get the flu shot. Even if it does not prevent flu 100% it reduces the severity of symptoms.

Sandhya13 and Gauri03 like this.
  6. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

Please avoid the flu shot.

7. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

8. Rakhii

ouch :(, what was that for?!

9. Rakhii

@Sandhya13 , do what your OBGYN says. we can all tell you what we personally feel or did but its always best to follow what the doctor says. I had been with my family doctor for several years and knowing my history, she simply said there is no guarantee if I get flu or not (with or without shots). I didnt choose the shots. However, I was on pre-natals, immunity building syrups like elderberry syrup, essential oils, probiotics, work from home even when a co-worker is sick, drive to work instead of taking train etc.

I may have come across as anti-vaccine. I am NOT anti-vaccine. I did what I thought was right at the moment with the OBGYNs approval. My kids vaccination schedules and mine are up to date.
    Flu shots are not on my list currently. Some of my friends argue I am relying on herd-immunity/ protection. I may or may not. But I continue not to get it. (Kids get it as they are still building their immunity).

I do not want to get in to an argument on if we should or not; I just shared with you what i do as that's what you wanted. I am a big believer in essential oils and it really did turn my medical cabinet around. Again, I am NOT anti-vaccine. I just choose not to get shots for flu, that's all; I never took one during pregnancy or after. before pregnancy, I used to take.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  10. Thenmozhi39

Thenmozhi39 Bronze IL'ite

I did not take any flu vaccination during pregnancy. I recommend you to have tulsi or ginger tea everyday to keep you safe. If no tea then milk with pinch of turmeric and pepper powder.

Sandhya13 likes this.