1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Okay To Grow A Lemon Tree At Home?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Angela123, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

There is an old saying "narakam nattedam..(where lemon tree is planted...end with not good for house). I have searched this in google, and different explanations came up.
    The problem is, I threw lemon rinds to keep away squirrels from my patio and some seeds germinated from that. I destroyed whatever I can find, but just worried if some just grew into a tree. I absolutely love lemon plant and like to have one, but this old saying just worries me. Did anyone believe in this? It would be great if anyone can share some thoughts on this!

Thank you!

joylokhi and Vaikuntha like this.

2. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

Interesting, will see what others have to say
    I didn't know about this before

Angela123 likes this.
  3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

I never heard it before and no idea. waiting for other ILs views.

Angela123 likes this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Havew never heardof this! Ive seen many houses in US have their lawns lined with lemon trees in plenty and it looks beautiful and naturally a wonderful source of fresh fruit any time. So, personally i wouldnt worry about it. Lets see other responses here:yum:

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have never heard of this saying. We have lemon and lime trees in our home in India, and everyone I know who lives in warmer areas of the US has citrus trees on their property.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

And I must add that the elders in my family are extremely superstitious so we would have heard if there was any "shastram" against planting these trees. My grandmother would never allow us to plant grapes saying it was bad for the house.

Angela123 likes this.
  7. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

@Angela123 no need to worry,u can grow it in your garden without any tension,only one thing you need to follow is it Should not be at the entrance of main door,the only belief behind is lemon tree will have thrown, when we are going out in any important work if unexpectedly the thrown hurts you u will bleed,elders say when we are going out on any important work we should not bleed it's a myth/belief of them,,if we bleed means that work will be postponed or we won't successed in that work,we value to our elders and follow them so just look the plant should not be on sides of the walking path to main entrance,in your garden u can happily grow it and enjoy the fruits,
    Even am from a small town I saw lot of people will grow it in there garden(in olden days all the houses are built with a lot of ample space do they grow it back side mostly no one will walk that side),,it's what I know if you are still confused take some suggestions from elders but sure u will get both the answers it's a contradictory...

Angela123 and beautifullife30 like this.
  8. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

Did'nt know that either. I visited a family recently who has some grape vine (beautiful) on backyard patio and i wanted to do the same for the house!

Vaikuntha likes this.
  9. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

I have heard this. You can grow this in backyard far from the house but never in front of the house..thtas what oldies used to say.dnt know the reason behind this

Angela123 and Vaikuntha like this.