1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it okay to cut my toddler's hair in house even before first tonsure

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by abinayamadhavan, Apr 7, 2015.

1. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

Hello All,

My son is 2.4 years old now and he will be joining school this june. Due to IL's issues his tonsure was not done before 1st b'day. Then they told tonsure should be done after 2 years. Because i am preg currently, again tonsure is cancelled. Last year, i did cut his curly hair slightly in house and the same day evening he fell down and his lower lip was slightly wounded.

Again in dec, my father cut his hair, and after 1 week his lip was cut deeply.

Now, i wanna cut his hair slightly, as it is very curly and long.

is that okay? i know iam insane relating stupid things. Please pour some thoughts

2. shrivni

shrivni Silver IL'ite

I do cut my hair for my baby...before first tonsure, Come on....don't be silly...and get confused....

Carry on....it would be very difficult for the baby boy...

1 person likes this.
  3. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

I may nor be correct person to reply for this.

But yes.I was did cutting for my daughter 2 times before head tonsure. We did head tonsure by my daughter's third birthday.

I prayed to god and kept one rupee in a yellow cloth and did hair cut for my daughter.

1 person likes this.
  4. sangeethakripa

sangeethakripa Gold IL'ite

Hi

Jus sharing what I did.. My daughter had lots of hair and first tonsure was cancelled because of some reason and it was postponded after a year . When the hair was falling on her eyes, elders sugessted to cut it pack it in a cloth so you can throw it off when the tonsure is done at temple. It is not about logic or beliefs .. I did not wish to take any chance with my kid..

2 people like this.
  5. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

abhinayamadhavan,
    We have been given to understand by our parents and later in-laws that the first hair of a child is sacred and is to be dedicated to our kula deivam , and it is purely for the good of the child. All families having a strong cultural belief and practices, follow this.
    In our house also, the first tonsuring ceremony got postponed and we could do it only
    in the third year - that is after his second birthday. Though it was inconvenient for the child, we strived to take extra care , by tying the hair into two ponytails, etc so that it doesn't fall on the eyes/face of the child causing irritation. In fact we enjoyed this phase by dressing him in frocks etc, taking photos - the lot.
    It therefore depends on your belief in these rituals. It is clear you didn't think it important enough. Anyway, you need not now relate the cut /fall etc to this - it could be pure co-incidence.

6. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,

You thought your Son is wounded due to hair cut before his First Tonsure!

Ok! Just take a white cloth and dig it in Turmeric paste and made yellow. Then took few coins for rupees Like 1.50 or 5 or 11 and place it in cloth and tie hard.

Then keep it before the Pooja Room self before any god picture and pray yourself, if you planned to do first tonsure to any particular god, pray that god! Now i cant able to do tonsure, now i cut his hair slightly, don't made any hurt on him! Please bless him and forgive me please!

Then go and do your regular activities and hair cut your son either home or in saloon!

Thats it!

Dont worry! In these days many people cant follow rituals properly! In My Family, We need to Tonsure child for 11 Temples, it is either girl or Boy!

Think about myself!

My son is 3 Years now, I complete 5 Tonsures only! In our family we just follow the same yellow cloth method and go temples to do Tonsures as per our wish!

Family means (My Family, My Fils Brothers Family, my Fils cousins family etc etc)

So don't go deep inside this matter and bring your kid to Shop to cut perfect!
    When you visit that temple bring this coins there and buy any pooja things and use that!

1 person likes this.
  7. abinayamadhavan

abinayamadhavan Silver IL'ite

@all: thanks for all your suggestions. i believe in god. i also believe that al rituals are created by us, god didnt enforce anything on us.
    Hence i have finally decided to place 1 rupee coin in a white cloth along with turmeric and prayto god and cut his hair.

Since the temp is high here, he is getting irritated