1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it okay if husband enjoys while wife is on bed rest during pregnancy ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by angelindreams, Jul 2, 2012.

1. angelindreams

angelindreams Bronze IL'ite

My best friend is pregnant with her first child. Had some cervical stitch and is advised complete bed rest. She wanted to go to parents place but doctor advised not to move out of bed leave alone traveling. So her mom came to help. Her mom is bit old fashioned is not much into movies and fun. She does more of pooja and meditation while my friend is not too much into pooja and all and yeah loves watching movies...she does download/or watched from cds but can't even move out of bed. Her husband is a fine person..not bad...but he is plays with his friends either cricket/comp games on weekends. (Before her pregnancy they were quite out going couple....used to watch lots of movies ). She feels alone frustrated at home with no one to talk. She does talk to her mom but everytime she has to find common topics to talk. Yesterday being sunday she was expecting her husband to stay with her and watch movie together in lappy. But asusual he went to watch movie with his cousins. It pissed her off completely. She fought with him and he told...whats wrong in me enjoying when you can't accompany me. Her argument was when I can't even move out of bed you happily enjoy with friends without even giving a thought for me. Finally she cried and called me to talk...I felt bad for her. She said she is frustrated at home.. and she was saying if at all roles were revered she would rather prefer staying with her husband and enjoying with him than going out with friends and she did that it seems when her husband had some knee wound (Fracture i guess) . He was advised not to move for a month ....and she said "yeah i too have friends who invite me to party's and movies...If i wanted I would have gone. But I felt he might be bored at home so I didnt go " . I did feel bad for her frustration ...I gave all the advise blah blah blah...but this triggered thought in me...is it okay ?? She is not selfish..definitely not... I know her well..all she wanted is...in this special time that her husband should enjoy with her. Not go to outings and movies at every chance he gets. She says these movies will come again..these friends will call again..but this "1st pregnancy" of mine will never come...whats wrong in playing any random games or watching movies with me

2. angelindreams

Is it okay of husband enjoys while w ife is on bed rest during pregnancy ?

My best friend is pregnant. She had some cervical stitch so had to be on strict bed rest. Doctor asked her not to even move out of bed. Her mom is there to help her. Initially she wanted to travel to her moms place. She is working in a bank but is on maternity leave as of now . But since she is in strict bed rest she coud'nt so her mom came here. Her mom is more into pooja and meditation. While my friend is not much into it. She feels quite frustrated and bored at home. She does watch movies on laptop and browses...but she gets bored and can't do that entiiire day from morning to evening. Her husband is a nice person , but he goes to movies and outings with his friends and cousins every weekend or after office . They were quite outgoing couple before she got pregnant. She feels quite boored at home. She does talk to her mom but everytime she talks she has to find common topics to talk . This weekend too he went to play cricket with his cousins. She was left frustrated and bored at home entiire saturday and sunday. She confronted him when he came back saying how can you leave me soo bored at home (She complained numerous times , even tried talking in calmer manner) and enjoy with your friends. I wanted to watch movie with you or wanted to spend some time with you. He said whats wrong in me enjoying when you can't come with me. Her arguement was "even I have friends who invite me to movies but I didnt go when you were on bed rest (due to some leg fracture for 2 months i guess... he was on complete bed rest ... ) . I felt you will be bored at home . " No use. He still says the same that there is nothing wrong in enjoying without her. She is not possessive he went outings with his friends who were boys even before her pregnancy, but she used to involve in her own hobby classes (she learns cooking) whenever he is out. But now she is frustrated since she can't move out of bed and her husband enjoys as if its bachelor life for him (these are her words). Finally day before yesterday she got fed cried terribly and called me. I did give her advise let it go and asked her to call me whenever she is bored . But I felt bad for her. Why do husbands generally enjoy like bachelors watching movies ,planning outings while wife only bears ups and downs of pregnancy and still they call themselves as fathers ? I am not generalising. My husband was not like that . Not entiiirely atleast .

3. IndianQueen

IndianQueen Silver IL'ite

Re: Is it okay of husband enjoys while w ife is on bed rest during pregnancy ?

Really... whats wrong in him going out with his friends... Its no big deal.... ask her to be hap[y and let him be happy.... there is a scene in the movie anjana anjani, where priyanka asks ranbir, are u happy to see me happy or are you jealous to see me happy... just remembered the scene...

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Angeldreams,

it all trickles down to priorities and our changes.. after marriage, our family, husband, kids and future is the main priority in a lady's life that she forgets herself, her hobbies and gets to depend on the family emotionally, while the men still keep in touch with their hobbies, pasttimes, movies and friends..

so it is always better to learn a new hobby, do something that makes us feel cherished, makes us feel pampered...

Since she is already into it...maybe it is more about why should men have all the fun..ask her to chill, enjoy.. not to nag but ask for a couples time in between his going out with his friends...

1 person likes this.
  5. angelindreams

She is not jealous Indian Queen. She is just frustrated. Bored . She does read books and magazines too. But she is been doing reading -browsing-eating-watching movies 24X7 (Except time she sleeps ) past 1.5 months and she is bored. She says she wants someone to talk. Someone close to her. Who else other than husband can fill the gap ?

1 person likes this.
  6. angelindreams

Yeah she does not nag. Its only during this pregnancy. Or else she does go to hobby classes and her office outings . She does ask him couple time . He sits with her not even for 1 hour it seems and again drama starts . Yeah she feels the same. Why should men have all the fun. She was bit feminist in her college days . So she vented out all her frustration (in form of gaalis ) on entire men fraternity . I said vent out if that makes you feel happy !!.

7. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

The more she nags (DH will see it as that)...the more he will go out with his frens because he feels he is being controlled. He is also not right in enjoying all the time without her...she needs him now, she can easily get depressed. Ask her to talk to him nicely on why he doesn't spend time with her...maybe it's bcos the mum is ard...

U try to be there for her when she needs to talk...

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Angeldreams,

Sometimes it is very difficult to cater to somebody who is sick, all the time. we women can do it, we are emotionally condtioned..but i don't see men (if they do it is very rare) sitting with the wife and by her side, talking.. and moreover they both are used to this routine before, and asking him to change because of her bed rest, is not going to help..

ask her to vent...she can still continue with her hobbies if they are not taxing even when she has to take rest..

9. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

hi angelindreams.....

of course its not ok for the husband to enjoy most of the time while wife is under bedrest....but already your friend has tried all possible ways to tell him that she wants him during this personal time....but he is just not listening....so i personally think that your friend should let it go for a while, and he will come back to her..as someone rightly said, the more your friend will nag, the more he may tend to go the way he likes, instead of realizing what he is doing.....

and i also think that her inability to move out much during this time, and being a very outgoing person earlier, and the 360 degree change in her current situation has made her more depressed....but she is lucky to have friends like you to atleast vent out...and you can continue to be a listening ear for her at this needy time....of course i am not teling that anyone can take her husband's place...but now its clear he will not listen to her...so why waste all the energy in the negative direction...where she should actually be calm and composed.....apart from that, from what you say in your post, she seems to have a normal life..only that boredom & hubby's inattentiveness is bothering her....

its easier said than done....but give her support as much as you can ...all she wants is someone to listen to her venting.....even in my case....my hubby was not with me from 6th month as he was abroad....and he saw our baby only when she was 9 months old ! atleast she can be happy that she has him nearby...but in my case, all i had was the internet & phone...but even then....the physical proximity is something that is totally different.....i was very much aware of our financial situation, but even i used be cranky and ask him to come to india sometime....it was very difficult for me...and he saw my baby's foto only through snap...of course it was difficult for him...but some sacrifice had to be made.....my case was entirely different, but my mental state is almost similar to that of your friend...at that time i was not willing to accept for a while...but once my baby came....i was totally busy to even worry about that....

so all we can ask you is to continue supporting her.....ask her to divert her mind somehow...and ask her to stay strong through this trying time....once her little prince/princess will come....hopefully it will steal the hubby's attention towards his family!

wish your friend has a safe delivery!

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Angelindreams,

Your friend's expectations are not unrealistic. Her husband does not have to become Florence Nightingale, but a little reduction in going out with friends is expected and should happen naturally. And to top it, she is pregnant with their child! Looks like he thinks of her like an oven about to serve up a cake, and her mother is there to monitor the oven while he goes and out plays like a child.

The root cause here might be that her mother has come over to help. He thinks because her mother is there, he is off the hook and free to continue his "bachelor" life. To be a little fair to him, maybe her mother's presence hampers him, and he feels odd taking care of his wife, and takes the easy way out by going out with friends. OK, done being little fair to him.

What your friend can do is give him a dose of his own medicine. Be a little aloof when he comes back, share more details with her mother, ignore him a little when he is around. This has to be done carefully, as overdose can be very harmful. Alternately, when he comes back, she can ask him detailed questions about the outing and sigh deeply that she can't go out.

Men!!!