1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok, not to celebrate you LO's 1st Birthday?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by abhigail, Nov 5, 2012.

1. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I am silent reader of IL for a long time now. I feel very relaxed reading the beautiful suggestions given by all the friends here. I have a BIG war going on in my head right now. My LO's 1st birthday is approaching and I badly wanted to celebrate it. My husband is not ready to have a party this year as he says that our baby will get tired and scared of the rush of people. So I thought of a small home party that day with very close friends. But the list got very short as many are not available that day. I will have some guests, but I am feeling extremely low that my baby will not have a big party on his first birthday.
    Am I the only parent who will not celebrate her LO's first birthday?

2. felonopsis

felonopsis Gold IL'ite

Its perfectly OK you are not doing a sin here. My LO's 1st birthday is falling next month. Me and my DH have decided "NOT" to waste anything in the name of party. Instead we are planning to contribute a part of the party money to an orphanage and spend a day with them- who would heartfully bless my son.

I am sure even if my son grows up he would be proud of us. Anyways i would call up our parents, few friends and have a very small party at house who will be my kids actual well wishers.

Just my 2cents:thumbsup

Luv,
    Fps

8 people like this.
  3. abhigail

abhigail Silver IL'ite

Thanks Fps, That is a wonderful thought. Just had a big baggage on my head so wrote it here. And advance wishes to your son in advance. :)

4. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

abhigail ,who says you are not celebrating your LO birth day? you are having a small home party na? a celebration is a celebration, the thing which matters is that you should get happiness ,it does not matter if it is grand or small :)
    i know as a parent you want to have a grand celebration but even i feel a small home party with people who really care and are close to you is better than inviting an army of guests who are just some known and will never show their face again unless at some other big party.
    may be you can call grandparents from both sides and even some of your close friends.
    it is a special day for both of you as parents and even your baby, dont spoil it by feeling low.
    best wishes to you guys :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

Dear its perfectly alright !!! I too celebrated my dd's birthday in old age home!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. felonopsis

felonopsis Gold IL'ite

Thanks dear. As cutemonster refered it a day of happiness and joy to your entire family. Big or small does not matter. Have a wonderful celeberation!

7. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

When i was pregnant with my DS (he is 9 now), we attended some friends' kid's first b'day party. The kid slept before cutting the cake and when woken up to cut the cake, was quite cranky throughout the party afterwards. That had such an impact on me and H, that we decided not to have any 1st B'day party.

We didnot have 1st b'day parties for both our kids, rather a simple havan. This is just my experience, not meant to offend people celeberating 1st b'days.

Regards,

8. Renitaghosh123

Renitaghosh123 New IL'ite

Absolutely Abhigail, there is no harm in not celebrating your baby's first b'day coz anyway he/she is too small to realize that all the fun and frolic is for him/her. If you are celebrating, make sure you know what to keep in mind: How to celebrate your child

9. dimhere

dimhere Gold IL'ite

I am of a slightly different opinion here... Cos I think it is v. imp to celebrate every milestone of my child's life.. It is the first birthday, something which happens once in a lifetime for everyone, and it is the parents' responsibility to make it special..

Yes, it is a special day, so yes, the routine will be different. He (she) may not have nutritous food like the rest 364 days, might not have his afternoon nap, might dip his fingers into the cake before cutting...but it is all just a part of being a kid...

It is upto you to manage his party according to his routine... finish all your arrangements, shopping, decorating much in advance...focus on being with him, holding him, dressing him up, putting him to nap earlier, so that he is not cranky during the party..

A little planning, forethought is def required..but I wud not miss this occasion for anything... I have 2 tiny kids myself and go out my way to celebrate everything...

And no, it does not mean that I don't do anything for charity.. I go well in advance to a charity home near my place and donate clothes / toys that they have outgrown over the year, and also pay for a good dinner for the whole home, with sweets on the night of my kids' bdays...:) The next morning, when we unwrap all the gifts, they will choose 3-4 gifts which can be shared, and we all go to the home and give it away to the kids there... !!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

OP, it is perfectly fine.
    I personally feel that it is more important for the kid to enjoy his birthday, and hence it may be better to have the first grand birthday celebration @ 3-4 years.

Having said that, we did have a traditional ceremony in the temple for my son and also a party for his 1st birthday. Both turned out to be not-so-good memories for me thanks to my MIL. Moreover, my son was cranky during both ceremonies, and MIL passed some rude comments about me and also said that one should not blow candles off etc. on their birthday. In hindsight I wonder for whom we had the celebrations; could have done something a lot simpler.

Now my son is close to 4 and understands what "birthday" means; looks forward to gifts etc.

My H believes that kids should be the main guests in a kid's birthday and has suggested that we hold a party in a play area or something for DS's subsequent birthdays.