Is it necessary to take screening for preeclampsia

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by catherine26, Apr 10, 2014.

1. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

Dear Ilites,
    Is it necessary to take screening for preeclampsia during third month scanning...what they will find in this test.. am very confused did i need to take because dr said if you need you can take thats y im asking here..please give an idea for me..

2. Nidhi2014

Nidhi2014 Silver IL'ite

Screening for preeclampsia ?? I am not sure how they do that, do they screen by making a calculated guess that you are at risk based on your height, weight, current BP, sugar levels etc?? Or are they doing some genetic test??

ask Qs from doctor. She should answer your queries and guide you if you are the right candidate. OK I just googled and what I finding s they do a combination of blood vessel pressure measurements and some marker proteins in blood and ultrasound markers.

I think it's a screening to show you if you are at a risk or not. It all depends on whether you have history of BP in your family and yourself. If you go to a clinic which monitors your BP weight and sugar levels every month during pregnancy, you may not need this screen. This screen is NOT going to harm you or baby per se, but it will just show a risk.

Even if you have risk, you may not develop it by choosing healthier options during pregnancy such sugar salt intake minimal, walking for 30 minutes 4 to 5 days a week etc.
    If you want, you can also buy a home BP monitor and check your BP everyday..that's what I do when I have headache or feel clumsy. Also, keep a check on swellings on your feet or hand or anywhere else.

So overall, if you do not have any history of BP, are on a healthy weight, it won't matter if you go for this test or not AND you are being careful with your diet, keep a check on swellings and monitor your BP if you are having lots of headache etc.

Take care!

3. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

Is your bp high in your checkup visits?
    If so then maybe your doc wanted to go for pre eclampsia screening.
    Pre eclampsia is having high bp during pregnancy which can put you and baby at risk.

Pre eclampsia screening maybe the blood tests your doc wanted you to get done.
    E.g hematocrit, platelets, electrolytes, liver function test, uric acid level and creatinine etc. To see if you are at risk of going in for pre eclampsia.

Don't worry and trust your doctor. Ask her in detail regarding your doubts. She is entitled to reply you.

4. catherine26

catherine26 Senior IL'ite

hi nidhi2014,pinky2cute,
    doctor doesnt suggessted this test my friend is nurse in that hospital ,she only fill that scanning form in that she ticked that screening for preeclampsia by seeing that doctor doesnt said anything moreover my bp is normal 120/80.thats y i asked my doubt in this forum