1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it good to give advice on life problems/issue without personal or professional exp

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sun01, Sep 24, 2015.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Re: Is it good to give advice on life problems/issue without personal or professional

what I like about threads here is that different people look at the posted problem from different angles and respond accordingly. Each according to their nature, for eg., some will look at it emotionally, some will address it logically, some will suggest a practical solution. And of course some will take it as an excuse to vent away about their own ongoing situation! But this gives the OP an opportunity to see the matter in a light they may have never considered previously. Which is useful.

As for feedback, I have had some OP's pm me a few days or weeks or months later with a short word of thanks as to my suggestion with an update. Over the years I have recd a few such PMs and thought this was an accepted practice here.

2 people like this.
  2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Re: Is it good to give advice on life problems/issue without personal or professional

I remember a thread posted by a young man.He was ready to leave his wife and new born child because of misbehavior from wife's family.

So many posters here have done so much head banging,pleading ,cajoling sometimes roughing him up to not give up on his marriage and new born child. Finally he came back after a month or so and informed that he had managed to get his new born child and wife back home .It was such feel good ending.

There have been other threads that leave you feeling really sad.

1 person likes this.
  3. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

a very good question...

However the solution is quite complicated...

You have all sorts of posts in these forums ranging from Friday trolls to posters who are suicidal

It is very difficult to really draw the lines in such forums... what is sensitive to me may not be sensitive to someone else..... what is sensible to me may not be sensible to others... what is a norm in India may be unheard of in Finland etc etc...

The onus of using / trashing the suggestions completely lies with the people who initiate the post based on their own circumstances.

I think the site assumes a level of maturity in its members to know what could be right for them

1 person likes this.
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Only certain problems can have fruitful solutions from this forum. The solutions are based on the experiences of members.For that matter on many occasions even professional counsellors are unable to find solutions since their opinion also depends on various case studies and human behaviour in general.you can seek any number of opinions. But final decision should be yours. The opinions expressed by members are only guiding factors .

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.