1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it co-incidence or something fishy? Please clarify !!!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SGBV, Jul 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @Rachaputi and @cutemonster

Moping the floor, sweeping and even dusting is all fine with me too. But the pooja space with the idols are locked inside one of our cupboard attached to the bed-room wall. The key is with my husband, and he feels it is not okay to ask me or anyone to clean it as we are not interested, rather believing in such customs. He fears it may go wrong if we enter that space with no proper care
    Eg: Breaking a picture or falling an idol or falling an oil bottle is considered sin or bad sign; thus he and in laws never ask us any help. On the other hand, I too fear to be honest to do something and to my bad luck end up in something else. So, I better completely avoid it.

As for Pooja room position : It is placed in the west side of our house, but facing east. It is locked in an Almyrah, perhaps a bigger sized than in the pictures

I am Christian and I do pray with periods, and meet my God at any time, any situation depending on when I feel like praying. May be right after sex without a head bath. May be while bleeding or eating a piece of meat. It is such an emotional connection only. I place more weight on how pure I am at heart to pray than in body.
    But I know, not every religion or practice is same. And they do have a reason behind. So, I just don't want to mix them, and getting offended.

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Technically possible, but it shall break what we had agreed in the past as our marriage rule, and maintained thus far.
    I.e no religious propaganda or visibility. We have no signs, no idols and no religious names for the kids.
    If he place the idols in hall perform Pooja and enabled the visibility, then I will be forced by my side of the people to hang something of our faith too. I shall decline, but it will not be the right equation, rather a point of issue in our family all the time. If I agree, then our house will look like a photo exhibition, Which I hate.
    We are closely related to extended families of both side, and I need the peace at home.

3. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

no dear you got me wrong..i dint said that god punished him or anythign like that.
    God and our relation is like parent and children. we are children to him and dont have to ask anything as he gives us when and what we need.

i just shared with you one experience which i had seen. and reason behind it i also dont know but this is what happened with him

1 person likes this.
  4. SadMarried

SadMarried Silver IL'ite

I also think that might be just co-incidence dear.

I'm hindu by religion but i dont do pooja everyday . We have separate bedroom with pooja space , so i call the room as pooja room, but also use that room as guest room . I only do pooja on special festivals like diwali , otherwise i even forget about cleaning pooja space regularly. I don't go to Pooja room on my period , thats all i maintain...

Now your post got me thinking , may be some of the bad things that has been happening in my life (mine is mainly my marriage problems and husband getting difficult day by day) related to me not looking after my pooja room well :( i wonder

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

It is not all about not looking after a pooja room. It is altogether a different issue.
    For me, if you are following certain customs, then you should follow it the way it should be. Else, you shouldn't try that.

While everyone is lightening lamps, and placing flowers the idols at my home suffer the darkness. I can't do anything about it.
    While everyone observe strict purity (i am yet to understand this part), I use my other bed room as my convenience. If visiting a pooja room during periods, or before taking bath in the morning or wearing footwear inside that room is fine, then it shouldn't be prohibited or observed otherwise in other places, right?

While someone (including in laws) observe this strictly, how come it is all okay in our case?
    Then why it is not okay there?
    If it can cause sin or issues there, then why can't the same cause sin and issues here?

Well, I still think my problems are co-incidence, and I should find a way to come out of it. But at the same time, finding a remedy to this issue also a way in which I shall come out of my problems. JMO

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

SGBV, These things are not scientifically proven. There is no way we can alleviate your concerns, IMO because they are to do with belief. Since this shred of doubt has entered your mind, I suggest that for your own peace of mind, do what you can from the knowledge you have gleaned - from moving the pooja room to getting your husband to be more caring about his religious stuff. Perhaps your MIL (who, I believe, lives close by) could come and do a small daily ritual.

My father strictly adheres to certain protocols with some of his religious items. He would not bring in a metal statue which is any bigger than can be held in a closed fist as he believes metal statues require a lot more purity and religious handling; he will bathe his religious stones (saligramam) everyday and consecrate it with sandal and vermilion pastes. He will clean the old flowers everyday and replace them with new which he has picked up after a bath etc. My mum picks up religious days and does pooja and prasad appropriately. It gives them peace and bliss. In my house the God corner is a bit neglected. I think of God and pray everyday; but don't follow traditions; it doesn't grate on my conscience, though which I think is the difference...

7. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks @guesshoo for your response.

You may be aware of my other issues with in laws - which is the biggest of any problem I have ever faced.

I have always been a little more vigilant, and careful when entertaining with my in laws now a days. In fact, we were not in talking terms until we have moved to this new house (well, no longer a new one) due to the issues they have created in my life before. However, they have started showing a bit more responsibility and respect which I have decided to accept and reciprocate for the peace of 2 families. Also, the new members of each families (co-sisters, their family, friends and my new child) all brought some positivism in our relationships. Nevertheless, I've never allowed my in laws to do anything to anyone at my home without my permission.

In fact, my MIL would be more happy to do the pooja and other spiritual stuff to the idols in our home if I allow her to do so. But U fear what may happen afterwards. Given our past encounters, I am certain she may slowly enter the house with this, and little by little encroach the entire house by kicking my mom out (as the first thing) and separating my H and kids from me to completely vanish me. She did similar thing before. Though I forgave her, I am yet to forgive and blindly trust her motives now. Perhaps, I am bit overtly concerned, but my loss was severe last time.

To be frank, I do not trust idol worshiping and I have no clue as to what is right and wrong in my husband's faith.
    I believe from many people that certain rituals need to be followed and a pooja room needs to be maintained like one if you are believing or following. At home, my husband is believing; hence following all the customs, except this.

If his plan is to allow MIL to do the rituals, then I would suggest them to take the idols to MIL's place where there are amble space.Her house is just the next door.

I just don't want bad luck for some bad practice which I have no control over.

8. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Ya, As you mentioned my suggestion would be to politely make him understand and shift the pooja house to your MILs house. He can go there and pray whenever he wanted.

Rather than wrongly placing idols and creating problems you can keep the idols in your mils house. This way even your DH will not be affected as well as MIL will stay within her limits.

Coming to their point that pooja should be in the house where you all live together, you can explain that it is better to refrain from doing something wrong. You can smartly put forward that you will not be able to manage all this greatly as how they manage.
    God dwells where there is happiness. IF you think there will be problems arising out of this , I am sure God will forgive you if you transfer the idols to another house.
    Just my few cents.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I don't want to commit anything wrong intentionally or unintentionally. In fact, it is not me who had this idea about negative affects because of wrong pooja methods in life. This was brought up by one of my Hindu friend, and it seems her idea has got some validation here. It only reflects, there could be some thing though not entirely so.

I even believe whatever happens to me or us is because of so many reasons including our bad luck. I am taking the needful remedies from all the ends, including prayers to my faith.
    I will never stop my husband from praying the same too.

However, this new thing from MIL confuse me. Unlike before, she insisted H to have a pooja space, and that too at my mom's bed room. Now H is not doing justice to his idols, and the pooja space is not maintained or respected as it should be.

Here, I am facing troubles all of a sudden, and that coincide with this pooja room matter too.

Now, this friend comes with this suggestion, which I am uncertain and unaware of.

I did not take the idols to my house, and not going to transfer this to someone else's house. Just that I am going to alert my husband, so he could think of the needful. I don't think I need any forgiveness here from the God ;)

10. goldengirl826

goldengirl826 Bronze IL'ite

Hi SGBV,
    I understand your concern. Ju my thought...it may be due to the direction in which you are lighting your deepam.
    Never light a deepam in south direction. Find out if your husband believes in this and just let him know about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.