Is it bad to have doves at home ?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by NaveenaSasi, May 6, 2013.

1. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

Can someone tell me whether it is bad to grow doves at home ? My H is very much fond of doves.. He bought home 2 doves sterday.. But this thing has been bothering me becoz I have heard somwer that the mourning sound doves make is not good for home.. pls clarify..

2. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

I have no idea about the superstitious beliefs regarding keeping doves as pets, but I do share your concern - I don't like the cooing sound they make either.:-(

1 person likes this.
  3. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

RadiantFlower thanks for the reply.. I now doubt that the superstitious beliefs may be true.. Becoz from the day those doves have been brought home, ther are continous fights at home.. And my MIL has been insisting that it is becoz of the doves entry ;-) so finally my H got fed up and set them free.. They flew away happily :-D

2 people like this.
  4. ashyprynia

ashyprynia Bronze IL'ite

Good for you and your family !! ..............

5. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

ashprynia do u believe that its not good to keep doves as pets at home ?

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Naveena,
    After reading your first post I logged on to Google and discovered conflicting views about doves,Doves are declared to be the symbol for PEACE yet some parts of the world do not consider them harbringers of good fortune.More than all the superstition angle the hygeine factor is very important.If they are in a large cage outdoors it is not so bad.Otherwise the number of diseases caused by their droppings is really alarming.
    Good decision to set them free...now both sides are happy !! Personally I'm not in favour of birds in cages as pets....feel sorry to keep them confined as they were meant to fly free.It is not the same as having dogs and cats as pets .They are so dependent on our care and give us unconditional love in return and the relationship we develop with them is of high personal level too.
    Do you have any other pets?

3 people like this.
  7. NaveenaSasi

NaveenaSasi Gold IL'ite

Hi Paulina, thanks a loooooooot for ur efforts to find answer to my question. I too tried to google it, but I cudn't find any useful info..

yeah I totally agree with this.. And I am very much allergic to the smell too :-(

No we don't have any other pets at our home.. Dove is the 1st and the laaaast ;-)

8. sandylee123

sandylee123 Silver IL'ite

I never grow doves, so I'm not sure. But it's depend on you and your family, if you like to have doves at home, then it doesn't matter.