Is indian driving license valid in kualalumpur?

Discussion in 'Indians in Malaysia' started by sawasthi78, May 26, 2009.

1. sawasthi78

sawasthi78 New IL'ite

Hi,

I need a quick help. We are shifting to KL next month on a shortterm working visa for 2 yrs. I would like to know whether my indian driving license will be valid there to drive car or if it can be converted there?

plz reply .

Thanks in advance
    shivali

2. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Driving licence from common wealth countries can be used only for a short period. The legal aspect of insurance claim in the event of accidents is quite dicy. Best is get an international driving licence . Or if you are employed in Malaysia, you can opt apply for international driving licence.
    Jaya

3. blissful

blissful Bronze IL'ite

The International Driving Permit is valid for a period of 6 months only. Since you are going to be in KL for 2 years I suggest that you get a Malaysian driving license based on your Indian driving license. It is a very painless process.

You have to go to the JPJ office at Putra Jaya and fill out the required form (I think it is called the JPJ L1 form, not sure. It can be downloaded from the JPJ site) and submit it along with xerox copies of your Indian DL, passport (with the visa page) and photograph. Carry your original Indian DL and passport too. You have to pay a fee of RM 60 (if I remember correctly) for a two year license. They will issue a license to you on the spot. For every additional year you have to pay RM 30 extra. So suppose you want a license valid for 3 years, you have to pay RM 90. Avoid going on Friday as they have a longer lunch break.

Subsequently if you want to extend your license, you can do so by going to any post office (which are located in very convenient places), pay the renewal charges based on how many years you want to renew the license for and your license is renewed. Takes 5 minutes, literally.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your stay and do travel. It's a relatively small country so weekend trips to most places are very doable.

1 person likes this.