Is Indian culture in the same pace as 10 years back?

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by meenalakh, Jan 12, 2008.

1. meenalakh

meenalakh New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am quite new to this forum. I wish to start with this topic because everyone knows that Indian culture is respected world wide. Are our future generations aware of this? Do they respect this?
    I can quote some incidents where it is really questioned:

1. In the evolving human race, the learned community don't mind hugging people irrespective of the gender.
    2. The present day movies are not coming without exposing lady stars. Swimming suits have become common.
    3. In colleges or offices I see people (male and female) eating together in the same spoon one another's food. When I eat with my colleagues I really scare if someone will put their spoon in my tiffin box and start eating my food. I used to tell people that I don't like half-eaten food.
    4. The way the present generation is dressing. Transparent dresses etc.,

I invite thoughts of the users in this group.

Regards,
    Meena

2. Veera

Veera New IL'ite

Hi Meena,
    Welcome to IL. (I'm a newbie too)

I'll input my thoughts after your questions.

1. In the evolving human race, the learned community don't mind hugging people irrespective of the gender.
    => Hugging is nothing but showing affection. Gender doesn't really matter here. Culture is also about showing affection, respect, love, support and being a good human.
    Can you tell me how hugging actually affects Indian culture?

2. The present day movies are not coming without exposing lady stars. Swimming suits have become common.
    => I agree with this one. Girls are exposing, hard to watch a movie with family (all age groups). But girls are exposing in movies for a long time now. nothing to do with this generation. More movies coming out now due to technological advancement. Bobby came out 2 generations back.

3. In colleges or offices I see people (male and female) eating together in the same spoon one another's food. When I eat with my colleagues I really scare if someone will put their spoon in my tiffin box and start eating my food. I used to tell people that I don't like half-eaten food.
    => Don't know what to say. From school days i have never eaten more than two or three spoons from my lunch box. usually it gets passed around. The only issue one might find here is Hygiene. Not sure how this affects our culture? can you please explain?

4. The way the present generation is dressing. Transparent dresses et
    => I agree with you. Dressing needs to be bit more controlled. but then again, its been evolving for 100yrs now. Ask your mothers generation, they must have said the same thing when you wore anything more modern than your grand ma. I guess we need to understand the current generation as well.

In a way the future generations are much smarter than our older one.
    1, More are going to work early in their life and learning to fight life better
    2, Women are more independent now than ever in the human history
    3, Outward thinking men are more now than ever. Less dowry, men allow women to work (remember this wasn't the case 30yrs back)
    4, Social responsibility is high now. Young people now use less plastic, animal welfare, community work (college students go to slum and do clean up, build toilets, organise blood donation etc...)

the list can go on....

I'm not saying all young are excellent. i'm only saying they are better. i think we should give them a good pat on their back and encourage them more and discipline wherever necessary.

Cheers
    Veera

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Nice topic Meena,
    And I must applaud your reply Veena. You just said my mind on every point.
    I lived in hostel for 13 years , And I cannot imagine if I didnot allow people to eat from my plate, how many friends I would have had. I think we learn to share more, when we go out of cocoon of our house and its set rules.
    There is nothing in Indian Culture which tells us to not share our food or not to greet someone with warmth. I agree our culture is about showing respect in terms of dressing, talking and leading life.

4. Veera

Veera New IL'ite

No Probs Ria.

my name is Veera. Veena in my language means "useless" when associated with a word. Its ok...

10yrs plus in hostel. waww...

5. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Meena,

Indian culture is the same today since the day it evolved into being. Our customs & traditions and values remain the same. What has changed is how much of it do we actually remember, respect & adhere to at the end of the day.

There are a number factors that have brought about all the changes that we see today.
    We are influenced primary by the advanced societies of the west, in areas like handling relationships, dressing, films, decision making, etc. There is a change in the mindset and perspective of the Indian people, resulting in changes to the lifestyle.

What we see today in India is an amalgam of the west and the east. Some sections of our society accept the bold concepts of the west easily as it has less controls than our's while some others still rigidly stick on to the old values. Its very difficult to define the right and wrong these days, but its a matter of personal reflection.

No matter how we change, we should never forget the fact that we are defined and identified by our unique culture, traditions and values and should be proud of the same anyday, anywhere.