1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is hospitality dead in India ?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kannadakasturi, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

In this materialistic and fast running world.... people dont have time for themselves... Wherever we go there is rush and a big queue... so.... We have to travel a lot and by the time they reach home... they are tired... and they have their own pre occupations....

So the hospitality or inviting people is slowly fading away.....

Thanks to my wife... Our house is always open to people who want to visit us.... I enjoy a big group and happy times....

2. padmavathi m

padmavathi m Silver IL'ite

hello friends,

i agree with everyone in this thread. nobody has time for others in this fast as Mr.Veda had mentioned.

even though my flat is small everyone in Indus Ladies are welcome at anytime for breakfast or lunch or dinner or coffee or tea.

you can consider me as your relative or a friend .

there are so many people like Mrs.Chitra (chitvish) and many others who are known for their hospitality in IL team so why bother about people who dont know what is hospitality.

thank you
    bye
    padma

3. kannadakasturi

kannadakasturi New IL'ite

Thanks to all of you who responded to my query. What is so amazing is that this change took place so rapidly within our own generation. How did people in India learn this from one another?
    We have no daily servants cooking, cleaning and driving us. We have no extended family to give us a hand in raising our children. When people visit us we pick them up from the airport,feed them,take them shopping and sightseeing. For stay at home moms and wives this also means grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning after the guests etc. We are still able to extend hospitality then why in India with all the help,people have forsaken the tradition ?
    It is not just hospitality. It is also reciprocation. If they expect hospitality from us when they visit what about reciprocation dictated by common courtesy ?
    In the end it is the death of a long tradition that makes me sad and nostalgic.