1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is heavy bleeding a common thing during delayed periods?

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by AnithaPartha, Jun 2, 2013.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

My periods got delayed by 2weeks and 2 days and now I've heavy bleeding for the past 4 days. Usually, discharge duration is 3days for me. 4th & 5th day will be lighter. But this time bleeding is bright red for the past 4days. Anyone faced this situation during period delay.

My blood work and all tests are normal.

Please let me know.

2. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Are you taking any birth control pills, to delay periods or were they delayed for another reason (stress, etc)? More bleeding can be related to the delay in the arrival of your period. Periods are the sloughing off of the blood enriched uterine lining (as the uterus prepares itself for the possibility of a fertilized egg implanting), and the extra two weeks means two weeks' extra growth of lining. You should be fine in a day or so, esp. since medical checks are all normal.

I used BCP to delay periods, taking them for three months at a time (due to other health reasons), and my periods would have more bright red "fresh" looking blood than when I had a monthly period, and for a longer (usually three four days extra) time before it turned dark and then stopped.

From my experience, what you are seeing is normal. Particularly if you have no medical issues (fibroids, PCOS, etc) and your tests are normal.

3. AnithaPartha

NO, am not on BCP. Never was on BCP. And this is the 1st time after my delivery am experiencing bleeding for more days. Yeah, it is bright red and am waiting to turn it to darker and then stop.

4. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

when periods get delayed the layer of endometrium thickens. Hence the following period, bleeding will be more. wait for 7 days. if it didn't reduce or stop then consult a doctor.

5. AnithaPartha

Yes, it stopped. Thanks for all your replies ladies.

6. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

Did not mean to offend with the question about BCP. So they were delayed for natural reason, and stopped on their own? I'm glad for you-the first time that things are different from normal is always worrying.