1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is getting attached with adopted child difficult?

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by monicrazy, Aug 8, 2009.

1. monicrazy

monicrazy New IL'ite

I have a relative who is childless even after 10 years of marriage. They have even tried in-Vitro fertilization but even that ended in a mis-carriage. But they are still trying for in-vitro again.

When I asked her that why is she wasting her time and money in these procedures when she has an easy option of adopting a child, she said that she fears that she and her family won't feel emotionally attached to the child.

I just wanted to know, if this fear of hers is really true or not. Is it hard for the parents and family to feel attached to the adopted child, even if he/she is adopted in an early age?

2. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Dear Moni, 'Is it hard for the parents and family to feel attached to the adopted child, even if he/she is adopted in an early age? '

No, not at all. I know some of my very very near & dear ones, who have adopted child ( girl child ), and you know after some months ( will not take a year also ) they even forget, that it is their adopted child. The child will merge in such a way, that we cant find out any difference, between adopted or its their own child.

Its all depend upon the parents, and not relatives or friends, how they are going to treat the child.

Encourage Child Adoption. :thumbsup

3. jayalakshmi2k

jayalakshmi2k New IL'ite

hi moni,

i too support susri.. In my family itself, one relative didnt have baby even after many treatments then finally they decided and adopted a boy baby who was just born. They adopted him from an orphanage i suppose. i was too young that time so not aware of much details.

They are bringing him up with so much affection, and he is also very attached to them. they never fear that someone will tell him truth that he is adopted son and all.

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

No, it is not difficult to get attached to any child for that matter. When that child has come into one's life to give happiness and fill a void, it is just the opposite. One of my husband's friend had adopted a baby girl some months back and they are in seventh heaven. The child was adopted from an orphanage and was very meek when it came, now it is just so happy and makes the parents and others in the family happy too. I am just exhilarated when I see that baby with its parents.

sindmani likes this.
  5. CynthiaG

CynthiaG New IL'ite

I guess this is the Indian way of thinking. We give way too much importance of blood relation, even if it hurts us in return. These days, people's own flesh and blood sends them to old age homes and takes away their property. So, what's so great about having a child that's genetically yours? Give him good values and morals and love him unconditionally. That's all what's required to raise a child :)

sindmani likes this.
  6. Nittu

Nittu Senior IL'ite

WOW Cyntha ...i liked the way u have told about adoption.Thank you so much...this how even i think too...:thumbsup