Is Energy Bverage good for children?

Discussion in 'Weekly Quick Polls' started by mimur9, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

[JUSTIFY]Oflate, there are many energy drink commercials shown in television one trying to beat the other coming with their new energy scale, research reports or brand power.

Long back, i have heard one of my neighbour saying that her family doctor told her to stop giving energy drinks to her daughter as they activate the growth harmones and thus leading to an early puberty, thus losing some more precious time of their childhood.

Earlier days family used to sit together and have food. hence there is no separate preference for any one and children used to eat what they are served. No special cooking, no TV watching while eating, No talking etc. Moreover the street junk foods and tv commercials were not so effective to tempt children to eat the fried ready made snacks.

In today's busy life where even mothers go for work to support their family, its difficult for them to spend that time with their chiildren in cajoling and coaxing them to eat what they are given. So the commercials show that children should be given artificial supplements to compensate their bad eating habit. Some doctors advise aritificial supplements and some don't.

What do you think about it?

Are the so called energy drinks good for their helath? can we encourage aritificial supplements at such a young age?
    or Do we have to give them only naturally available health? Force feeding not good. Working mothers lacks time.
    do you feel the special cooking as per their taste spoiling them?

come out with your ideas and opinions

[/JUSTIFY]

2. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Mira,

That is an interesting topic to share our views on.

Well as a mother of two girls, I do not succumb to the so called growth promoting drinks. Even my pediatrician advised against those expensive supplements advising that all the essential vitamins and nutrients are available naturally in pulses and nuts, fruits and veggies. so why go the synthetic way.

Having said that, but I add Boost in my daughter's milk more so for the taste preference rather than for its nutrient value.

Let us hear from other mothers too about their opinion.

1 person likes this.
  3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Laxmi

Yes, as you said, some children find it very difficult to drink plain hot milk and needs flavouring substance to drink it.

cardamom powder / nutmeg powder can also be added for flavouring the milk or little coco powder too.

thanks for joining with your nice suggestions :)

4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Instead of looking foe these health supplements, we can go with the traditional way of making Sathu Maavu porridge.