1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is death beginning or end of life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Is death beginning or end of life? I have been contemplating on this ever since I had experienced a pre and post death experience in our family. I had received a call from my father-in-law soon after he was diagnosed with a dreaded disease that he wanted to let his life go unceremoniously without any attempt from any of us to give him a course of treatment. He insisted on talking to me and until I said we were ready to do whatever he wanted us to do, he was not willing to stop talking. He wanted himself to be discharged from the hospital, get home and die peacefully in a serene setting.

Fortunately, my wife and mother in law were agreeable with his request and decided to give him palliative care as opposed to aggressive radiation or chemo therapy treatments. I struggled a lot whether it was a right decision and later came to the conclusion that only the soul that resides in his body had the right to make that choice whether to let go the frame or not. Every time we are given an opportunity to get a frame, it is a mandate for us to extinguish all the outcome of our bad actions, thanks to the grace of the Universal Absolute. The one who gives that frame and an opportunity to learn lessons has the right to take it away at a time and place of His choice.

It is the lack of continuity that makes us look at the birth as the beginning and the death as the end of life. In the Western civilization, the death is described as “end of life’ situation. Is birth really the beginning and is death really an end? Is human mind capable of handling the stress if it were to be gifted with a treasure of continuity with all our previous actions? While the philosophical teachings tell us that the salvation is to achieve awareness from forgetfulness, isn’t true that forgetfulness (a blessing) allows human beings to have a fresh look and construct a new beginning towards salvation?

We are born to learn not to be born again. Similarly, forgetfulness is given to us to learn afresh how to rebuild our thoughts towards awareness. Fear of death dominates our lives throughout our existence as mortals. It is time for us to think that death is an opportunity to unlearn something we learned already and relearn something new. If we have achieved complete awareness, death results in our merger with our origin and if we have not achieved, it is an opportunity to make a new beginning.

Our entry, existence and exit are all happening as designed with us having no control over it. But we do have a free will to make our existence a pleasant experience with a) thoughts that are very well developed with our discriminative faculty, b) actions that are done skillfully, lovingly and selflessly with no specific expectation of results including service to the fellow beings and c) words that, i) express gratitude to those who help us, ii) be soothing to those who are suffering and iii) praise the Universal Absolute who gave us the opportunity to relearn. Let the waves (thoughts) make noise as they are designed to do and let us enjoy the silence of the deep ocean (Atma). Let us learn to consider the pleasure and pain equally and let go the ever growing organism (EGO) to shrug the dualism. Let us thrive on the unity of the fellow beings and enjoy the universe that is wired perfectly for our needs.

When a disciple asked Ramana Maharishi for Deeksha, He told him, “Go home”. The disciple was furious and later understood that Maharishi was asking the disciple to dig for his origin. Let us understand that the instrument (mind) that causes our suffering is the medicine for our cure towards salvation. Let us learn to structure it right every time we get a green card to reside in this beautiful planet.

18 people like this.

2. Soulsong

Soulsong Silver IL'ite

Very well said vishwamitra..

I have always been interested in topics like this. There is lot of awakening happening in the western culture too,people are becoming more open to accepting different ways to reaching the same goal . People are breaking loose from the confines of religious beliefs and are becoming more spiritual and accepting life as it is .

Thankyou..

1 person likes this.
  3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Dear Brother Viswa,

What a great explanation, I have been blessed with the opportunity to read this snippet in the early hours of this day with clear thoughts on what life is all about.

Yes, I (rather we) was/were blessed to discuss this at length with Amma who had lived and experienced the end of her husband's life with peace and serenity. In spiritual walk of life, this is better described that your Father-in-law was guarded and guided by Bhagawan Baba whom he had completely surrendered and he took away all his pain and adorned the soul to commence the eternal journey in the golden chariot that awaited to carry him for the selflessness and the service he rendered during his life time, best described by you at the fag end of the snippet.

His silent few days peacefully which needed no medical support and was well taken by the next of kith and kin was a blessing indeed and is well depicted when the journey commenced while hearing the Vishnusahasarnamam and the last word uttered was SAIRAM

"Forgetfulness" is indeed a Blessing of the Almighty, though perpetually we carry forward the life's positive & negative as punya and papa better described as Karma, but we are yet to understand what life is all about and that we have to be indeed happy with the fresh look and that our mission in each birth is to construct a new beginning towards salvation as mentioned by you above

"We are born to learn not to be born again" is indeed a splendid thought which need to the baseline of the life we work with, but unfortunately we create bonding into the materialistic and crave for creating assets physically and not realizing that we need to strengthen ourselves so that we complete our mission of Not to be born again" The entire life span which is at our disposal is unnecessarily wasted such that there is no awakening and thus no realization happens to lead us to the eternal path.

As you have perfectly pointed out that Entry and Exit has no say on us, but the existence which can be better designed needs to be utilized effectively, probably each one of us need to try and follow the above mentioned aptly, but sadly in most place every point is dying down and the exactly reverse direction happens and takes itself a strong path.

The right mixture of pleasure and pain as sweetness and bitterness is being favoured to us by the Almighty which we need to carefully gulp and strive through the path of success in choosing the path of salvation and make our existence as designed and still sculpt it aesthetically when we possess the Green Card of the Mother Earth we are blessed with.

Thanks for sharing this thought provoking snippet and happy that I got to ready at the beginning of this blessed day and also respond to it.

5 people like this.
  4. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sorry Typo error, please ready above is read... (Just realized that these days Editing post time is reduced)

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,

A very good one about which everyone has to think and ponder.

I do not want to comment on the philosophical angle much because I am not capable of it and my knowledge in that field is very limited. But some things make me think.

Yes, because we do not know what we were in previous birth or what we would be in our next birth we think birth is the beginning and death is ending. At birth we start with clean slate. Death is mysterious and what we would be in next birth we do not know.Life is an opportunity to lead this existence a pleasant experience with discrimination to follow what all you mentioned. If we follow all those things next birth is also taken care of. Some people take death as an end with equanimity and some for getting salvation with no next birth.

Your father in law has taken death in the right spirit , had a peaceful ending( death comes to everyone) and he has every right to decide what is to be done and he sounds very mature. I am glad your wife and mother in law also took it in the right spirit and honoured his wish. May his soul rest in peace.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

though I had heard and believe in the concept of rebirth, it was Dr.Weiss who actually somehow made it all clear about this whole concept with his book. It was through his books that as a mere mortal, it consoled me that perhaps a few more births are in order. I understand when you say we are born to learn not to be born again - just that for many of us it takes so many life times and till then Dr.Weiss sounds acceptable and comforting.

I enjoyed reading this snippet a couple of times and while I think I know your intent, what captured my imagination is what you have said of the waves and the ocean. Makes absolute sense and appears to be with in the reach of my understanding. While our ability to forget does help us to wade through this world, I cannot help but wonder about the seeds that we carry on and bring back with our next birth yet giving us an opportunity to relearn.

Well V sir, I feel I am only parroting what you have said and have nothing much to contribute. So let me just say thank you for bringing this to us.

3 people like this.
  7. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Green card eh ! Good one, and yes then u hve two green cards, one for the earth, and one for USA eh !

Yes go home is true, god resides in all of us, but we go looking here and there. Tehre are people who have temples at home, and still go to outside temples to pray and ask fo things, which is an insult to their home gods eh !very few would have done what yr FIL did, that is to come home and die at peace.

it requires courage to go against the wishes of everyone else.Hats off to him.

Regards

kamal

4 people like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear Soulsong,

Thank you for your first response to this post. Religion means something that binds to the origin. But when it is used to make the human beings as slaves instead of making them explore answers, it becomes obsolete and redundant. That is why people resort to exploring their inner Self on their own. We are a repository of knowledge if we are Self-knowing. Our perception of the world changes when we are Self-knowing.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Sister Saisakthi,

What an excellent response from you for my post. I don't know whether to start this response with "thank you" for adding so much value to this post by your insightful response or to thank you for nominating this post. Thank you for both.

I am so delighted to know that you enjoyed reading this post early in the morning. Thank you for your kind words on my father-in-law's exit from this world in an orderly fashion. I have learned a lot of lessons out of his calmness, fearless attitude towards death, polite but firm decision to let his life go, his sense of fulfillment of what he did in his life, his way of saying good bye, etc.

Forgetfulness is given to us by the Lord to make a fresh beginning and He takes the onerous burden of keeping track of our Karmas and letting us handle with courage as long as we have equanimity to treat pleasure and pain equally.

Past is history, future is mystery and present is a gift and that is why it is called present. Learning to live in the present moment is an attitude we have to develop as entry and exit is beyond our control. Leading an ideal and purposeful life is not something we do for the benefit of the world but for our own salvation.

Equanimity is a key element in spiritual growth and we have to learn to treat pleasure and pain equally. Life is live a river and the two banks are pleasure and pain. If our objective is to reach the Ocean (Atma), we should not overflow into either one of the banks. In the month of December-January, we see people singing the praise of the Lord in the street early in the morning. If we carefully notice them, they would be singing in praise of the Lord with one hand playing cymbals and the other playing thambura. Isn't it a perfect reflection of life where we experience pleasure and pain alternatively (like those symbols), playing our life (thambura) to the tune or direction (praise) of the Lord?

Viswa

2 people like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Symala,

You are a very humble person and hence you always say your knowledge of spirituality is limited. I always think those who have so many questions seeking answers are the ones who make more progress than the ones who write concepts of spirituality. I am only hoping that by writing all these things, someone will write something that would trigger me to make further spiritual progress. Please don't hesitate to write anything that comes to your mind.

All I was trying to convey in this post is "Death is not necessarily an end of our life, if we understand that who we are is our inner "Self". It travels a long distance until it shrugs off all its encryption. The entry and exit is not in our hands but how we make our existence meaningful while we are here is entirely in our hands. Our entry happens because of the gift we receive from the Lord in the form of a physical frame and exit happens because we are ready to move on after we become "Self knowing" or is ready to get into another frame to research further.

Thank you for your kind words about my father in law. Everyone played their role perfectly including my father in law, mother in law and wife and I learned a very good lesson out of it. Life teaches more lesson to us if we bother to watch carefully.

Viswa

2 people like this.