1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Is day-light saving needed in modern times?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sridivya, Mar 17, 2010.

1. sridivya

sridivya New IL'ite

Each time the day light saving begins or ends my daily routine gets upset for at least a week. It is funny because I can compare myself to a toddler. My friend who has a 2yr old also says the same regarding his sleep and eating pattern.

I wonder do we really need to change clocks in the modern day??

Your opinions and views on this are most welcome.

Sridivya

2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sridivya,

I see what your saying in terms of routine getting disturbed with a one-hour loss (especially), gaining an hour is different. Guess for moms with Toddlers it's even more impacting.

But in my opinion, irrespective of modern time or age-old time, the day-light saving goes by it's name isn't it?

During winter it takes more time to get some daylight and also it gets quite dark early in the evening. So it's better for people to start work a little late in the morning. Hence, we shift the time back by an hour.

Whereas during Spring/Summer, it gets bright early in the morning. Light remains till late evening, so people starting work early and getting back home early can get them more time with their family & kids. That way it's fine to shift the clock forward by an hour.

I think it makes complete sense especially for people working outside home, having school going kids.

Hope I am making sense!!

Malathy

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

One of the main reasons that daylight savings was instituted was for the safety in winter of school children. They used to walk to school in the dark and sometimes get hit, or have some danger while standing for the school bus. Now a higher ratio of kids are taken by bus but in my area we still have many walkers.