Is Cloth Bag Really A Replacement?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sunita1211, Jul 30, 2018.

1. sunita1211

sunita1211 Silver IL'ite

Maharashtra - Plastic Bags are Banned!!!

Stores, Grocers, Malls and more are shifting to paper bags after the strict ban of plastic bags in Maharashtra.
    It seems only the daily routine of getting milk, vegetables and other items are affected.
    We are still getting items wrapped in bubble wraps, plastic bottles, plastic bags, which are proving a better replacement compared to cloth bags.

I recall from my childhood, my grandmother and my mother would stitch cloth bags out of old clothes. That was an interesting way to deal with the carry bags. But in today's time are we able to remove plastic from our lives. As I take a look at my home and the stuff that I have stored in my storeroom, I could only think of plastic and things wrapped carefully in plastic. As an alternative, now I may be using newspaper to wrap stuff. But how strong and sensible it is to store things, goods, clothes, shoes, etc in newspaper or cloth bags. Will they protect them efficiently like Plastic?

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi, Plastic can not be 100% removed from our lives and I do not think that is the motive behind banning plastic bags. Idea is to cut down usage and wastage and it actually works.
    In my place in India, it was banned many years back and I liked it.
    In US, i see many people bringing reusable bags to store ( fabric bags) , just out of their wish, not mandated by stores and some stores giving paper bags ( which are hard for heavier things so they have to double it up, which means cut more trees)

I think it is just little contribution to envrionment saving. Otherwise plastic is one of most significant inventions in out life.
    Plastic bottles, plastic lunch boxes.

Stores/government are just cutting down disposable/thin plastics like sacks, straws etc.

sunita1211 and sindmani like this.
  3. AvRaje

AvRaje New IL'ite

Banning Plastic bags is great, but shops giving cloth bag as a use and throw bag for every purchase is not helping the environment imo.