1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is Chlorine good for hair?

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by lalisiva, Sep 22, 2008.

1. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

Hi ladies, i was just wondering if chlorine is super-bad for your hair.
    because when i went swimming yesterday and after i get out of the pool i've noticed that my hair looks even better than it does with taking shower at home. I mean i noticed less hair fall, no frizz, and looks bouncier too, and i honestly feel like it looks radiant now.
    why is that? i don't get it
    even my husband has commented on it.
    Is chlorine bad or good?

2. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hello, Lalisiva

I don't know the science behind it, but we've been taught since we were young to always rinse our hair immediately after swimming because chlorine is bad for your hair. This means as soon as you get out of the pool, even if you can't get to a proper shower immediately.

Like I said, I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems reasonable to me that since chlorine is some sort of chemical drying or sanitizing agent (it is used to keep pools clean and clear of algae), it can't really be good for your hair.

The effects you are noticing may be just short-term; do you have naturally oily hair? Maybe the chlorine strips it of the natural oil and makes it look better. However, I wouldn't take a chance with leaving a chemical residue like chlorine in my hair in terms of the long-term effect it may have.

I'm sorry to tell you this - maybe you can find a good salon-recommended hair product that gives you the same effect of chlorine without the long-term damage!

Ansuya

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

I am with Anu here..

Chlorine is a big NO-NO. Its a strong oxidizing agent and thus poor cuticles in your hair might be damaged. Swimming is good for your skin ;-) not your hair.

In future, apply good amount of conditioner before you swim and use caps if you are a regular swimmer.

4. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ansuya, thanks for your valuable response. appreciated very much. i'll visit salon asap.
    Lalitha

5. lalisiva

lalisiva Bronze IL'ite

Nandshyam, thanks for your suggestions. i think it's a great idea to wear shower cap while swimming.

take care
    Lalitha