1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is brown sugar better than white sugar?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by kanaka Raghavan, Apr 29, 2014.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I was using white sugar for many years ,now I have switched to brown sugar,even in cakes and cookies I use them it is good .In coffee ,tea as well we use it.But the other day in the internet I read that brown sugar is not as better than white sugar as it is white sugar with molasses added to it.Other than that I read that palm sugar,DEMERARA sugar ,honey are good.Any idea?

2. RedRuby

RedRuby Platinum IL'ite

Hi, i heard too that processed sugar is not really good as its deprived of some usefull ingredients. I read too this article by Deepak Chopra Deepak Chopra: Processed Sugar: How Bad Is It? (please mods delete if its not allowed to publish this link).

I dont know for sure about the differences of brown sugar, i heard that palm sugar is better.. ordinary brown sugar is more or less just the same with the molassis in it, so the nutrition content differs so lightly to white sugar that it makes no real difference...i dont think every brown sugar is palm sugar (jaggery is date palm sugar others i dont know for sure).
    What sort of brown sugar u use exactly?

3. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

Brown sugar(as in, country sugar) is good as it has better nutrient content than refined white sugar, but there will be impurities in it.

1 person likes this.
  4. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

compared to white refined sugar, brown sugar is good as white sugar contains bleaching agent to get pure white colour which is not good for health, and brown sugar contains less chemicals, i prefer brown sugar

1 person likes this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kr...

brown sugar is brown because of the molasses, while white is nothing but the bleached version of brown sugar. nutrition, calories wise i don't think there is much difference.

but take the case of palm sugar it has the considerably lower gi, helps both people in diabetes management and also pcos (managing insulin.). karupatti vellam is very healthy..and you get good quality ones these days in chennai though at a premium..

i use jaggery, naatu sakkarai in baking followed by demerra, honey.

1 person likes this.
  6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

thanks for the feed back friends.

7. dsharma

dsharma New IL'ite

Hi, I am new to this forum, some very good suggestions here. I have heard that in terms of calories brown and white sugar are almost the same.

8. Deepapm

Deepapm New IL'ite

Hai Friend... In my village there is naattu sargarai (powder form) this is only ancient invention, it is purely chemical free... After that Vellam (jaggery) came in round shape, it contains some chemicals for making round shape... After that refined sugar came(white colour), it is full of chemicals.... Sarkkarai is the word in practice from ceturies . Sarkkarai is full of iron..When you refine that after leaving essential minerals it will become sugar(white colour refined sugar). Just like refined free flowing salt without minerals when you heat it at a higher temparature. Uppu is the real name in practice.it contain essential ingreediants... So use Naattu Sargarai...

9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

What about Sugar in the raw?

10. Deepapm

Deepapm New IL'ite

Initially there was no vellam. We made with nattu sakkarai which is similar to vellam in both colour and taste. Tats why it was named as sakkarai pongal