Is breastfeeding really draining?

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by raisin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

I am breastfeeding an 8 week old while also top feeding. I had a c-sect. I find myself drained (I have to take glasses of water and some carbs to feel better again) on mornings where I have fed her 2-3 times at night. I normally have a glass of milk overnight.

Is this exhaustion normal? My mom has never felt anything like this.

Do you have to eat every 2-3hours while breastfeeding?

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You need extra 500 calories a day when you are BFing. Also regular intake of multi vitamins is necessary.

The exhaustion could be mainly due to lack of sleep.

3. Ganthimathi

Ganthimathi Gold IL'ite

Feeling thirsty after breast feeding or during breast feeding is common. Have a glass of water, juice or milk before feeding the baby and you won't feel exhausted.
    You have to eat extra while breastfeeding the baby. Also take multivitamins, iron and calcium. If you are deprived of your night sleep, take a nap during day time while the baby is sleeping.

4. Gossipgurls

Gossipgurls Silver IL'ite

I had c-sec as well.... But I used to eat small meals regularly , and used to pump milk so that my mom or DH can feed the baby while I used to sleep atleast 6hrs in a stretch.

If you feel too exhausted it will effect your supply , so make changes to your routine.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  5. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

I felt hungry when iam BFing my DD.i had craving for certain foods like burgers ,pizzas ,but in my native I can't get them so had lots of fruits and milk.

6. Sparks

Sparks Bronze IL'ite

I used to feel hungry during breastfeeding and I ate frequently. Infact it took me a year to get back to my normal pre pregnancy diet:)
    About exhaustion it may take some time to start feeling completely energized like before

7. SUBHAARCHIE

SUBHAARCHIE Gold IL'ite

Hi raisin,
    i still bf my 1st baby while i'm pregnant with my second...she is 1 yr and 3 months old...Always keep yourself hydrated...[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One method that I have found very useful is to make a habit of keeping a good quality water bottle filled within arm’s reach. This encourages sipping at regular intervals and keeps ourselves naturally hydrated...also drink some warm water before bf...this is just my 2 cents....[/FONT]

8. raisin

raisin Bronze IL'ite

Thank you dears. I have started paying more attention to my diet. I think I was going short of water in my diet as it is winter.

9. miscellaneous

miscellaneous Silver IL'ite

Yes its normal to feel exhausted. Eat healthy and drnk lots and lots of water. Try to have a midnight snack if possible.

10. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I also kept a big water jug / cooler next to my bed. Each time before and after I breastfed I drank a glass. I also felt hungry a lot initially, in fact starving, sometimes I still do. So i cook a lot of food at once when I can and keep in fridge or freezer.

I haven't been taking any multivitamin, not sure about that. Took iron tablets for a month.

Cooks.